The Student Room Group

Leaving the EU would be like breaking a vow.....

Scroll to see replies

We've been in it too long so why rock the boat. I'm voting to stay in. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please be trolling
Original post by FredOrJohn
Geographically we already have Africa in the EU.

Italy is the bit of Africa that bashed into Europe to create the Alps (I hope your politics is more accurate than your geography) - Have you ever noticed how its almost impossible to get to Italy without going through great big tunnels????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriatic_Plate

We also have spain's mainland African territories if you wrongly view the EU as a white only geo-social construct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14114627

I'm not sure if you are just trying to make me out as silly or just pretending to be silly yourself. As I said I can see things both ways, I'm not closed minded. I was NOT presenting the extreme inclusive case immediately, you note I suggested Tunisia and Israel as a starting point.

(the African territories already have the Euro, so in a way they are already more in the EU than we are)

It's hard to know where your naivety ends and your trolling begins. The Spanish enclaves are very different from countries, and wanting the EU to include 'northern African states' is just laughable. Claiming Ireland is '20% posher than the UK' shows the real calibre of your argument.

Never mind, seems no one else is buying your nonsense. Sorry for biting.
Reply 23
Original post by Duncan2012
It's hard to know where your naivety ends and your trolling begins. The Spanish enclaves are very different from countries, and wanting the EU to include 'northern African states' is just laughable. Claiming Ireland is '20% posher than the UK' shows the real calibre of your argument.

Never mind, seems no one else is buying your nonsense. Sorry for biting.

All I can do is quote the truth:

GDP per capita of Ireland is 50K
GDP per capita of UK is 40K
The difference is 20%.

From the web:
There are many politicians both in Europe and Israel that support Israel joining the EU. 80% of Israelis support joining the EU. Whether you like it or not the politics is there.

You notice I don't tend to knock you the person, I concentrate on your arguments.

You do know that 90% of Danish territory is in North American (Greenland and that is in the EU).

I see no logical reason why, one day, we might have free movement of people between the USA/Canada and the EU - we do have a common border! (denmark)

The difference is 20%.

From the web:
There are many politicians both in Europe and Israel that support Israel joining the EU. 80% of Israelis support joining the EU. Whether you like it or not the politics is there.

You notice I don't tend to knock you the person, I concentrate on your arguments.

You do know that 90% of Danish territory is in North American (Greenland and that is in the EU).

I see no logical reason why, one day, we might have free movement of people between the USA/Canada and the EU - we do have a common border! (denmark)

Greenland left the EU separately but it's a valid point none the less. I don't think free movement between the UK, North America and Down Under would cause any problems.
The Remain campaign are completely right wing.

Funded by the largest Capitalists the worlds ever known, and British Petroleum!

"Goldman Sachs has two senior representatives on Bilderberg's steering committee: James A. Johnson, a board member of the bank, and Robert Zoellick, the chairman of Goldman Sachs' board of international advisors.We know from Charity Commission accounts that Goldman Sachs, along with BP, is one of the key funders of the group, and we also know that they've been pumping "a substantial six-figure sum" into the Remain campaign."e

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bilderberg-2016-we-can-expect-desperate-lobbying-against-brexit-big-business-1563898

Dont fall for the Bremain hype!

The difference is 20%.

From the web:

Ok, now we can start to have some sort of sensible debate. GDP per capita, by itself, is not a valid measure of a country's 'poshness' (whatever you think that means). See the latest unemployment figures for UK (5.1%) vs Ireland (7.8%). Ireland has over 50% higher unemployment than the UK. See the flaw with presenting a single statistic? Ireland also has a much smaller population (less than 10% the size of the UK) so it's hardly surprising their per capita figure is higher.

80% of the world's population might want to drive a Ferrari. Doesn't mean it's ever going to happen.

Physical geography is very different to political entities. Perhaps you want free movement of people with South America because you think we have a 'common border' via the Falklands?
Reply 27
Original post by Duncan2012
Ok, now we can start to have some sort of sensible debate. GDP per capita, by itself, is not a valid measure of a country's 'poshness' (whatever you think that means). See the latest unemployment figures for UK (5.1%) vs Ireland (7.8%). Ireland has over 50% higher unemployment than the UK. See the flaw with presenting a single statistic? Ireland also has a much smaller population (less than 10% the size of the UK) so it's hardly surprising their per capita figure is higher.

80% of the world's population might want to drive a Ferrari. Doesn't mean it's ever going to happen.

Physical geography is very different to political entities. Perhaps you want free movement of people with South America because you think we have a 'common border' via the Falklands?

The USA has a a population 5 times that of the UK but its GPD per capita is bigger than Ireland or the UK...
Or Germany has a bigger population than the UK but also has a higer GDP per capita.

So your reasoning is incorrect.

Free movement with South America is also coming:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations#Free_movement_of_people

Unemployment in Ireland - it being higher but takes in LESS EU citizens is a proof that immigration helps the local population find jobs - just as the politicians have stated.
Reply 28
Original post by JamesN88
Greenland left the EU separately but it's a valid point none the less. I don't think free movement between the UK, North America and Down Under would cause any problems.

Yep the commissioner of the EU back in 2013 made a huge point of the strategic importance of Greenland to the EU (via Denmark).

So currently the UK as part of the EU has territory in North America (via both France and Denmark), if we leave we will have a "special relationship" with Canada and USA (whatever that really means) - but no actual territory. Currently within the EU we are also "north americans" which is a bargaining position for some future "Free Movement of "north american" nations..
The USA has a a population 5 times that of the UK but its GPD per capita is bigger than Ireland or the UK...
Or Germany has a bigger population than the UK but also has a higer GDP per capita.

So your reasoning is incorrect.

Free movement with South America is also coming:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_South_American_Nations#Free_movement_of_people

Unemployment in Ireland - it being higher but takes in LESS EU citizens is a proof that immigration helps the local population find jobs - just as the politicians have stated.

As I said before, presenting a single statistic without context is meaningless.

Free movement with South America is obviously not coming. Your link refers to South American countries only and is completely irrelevant to whatever point you're trying to make about the EU.

I simply don't believe your assertion that "immigration helps the local population find jobs". Care to provide any evidence?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending