The Student Room Group

Turkey's Erdogan denies Armenian genocide; says German MPs have impure blood

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
And the Pontic Greeks, who were either slaughtered or expelled. They often don't get a mention.

Some countries seem better at acknowledging the crimes of the past than others. Turkish attitudes have often reminded me of Japan in that they seek to downplay or excuse the actions of their ancestors.
Reply 2
Original post by Quantex
And the Pontic Greeks, who were either slaughtered or expelled. They often don't get a mention.

Some countries seem better at acknowledging the crimes of the past than others. Turkish attitudes have often reminded me of Japan in that they seek to downplay or excuse the actions of their ancestors.

I thought it was only me which knew about the Pontic massacres
Original post by M14B

I think they became a bit of a footnote because there was so much post-WWI fallout in many countries. I only know about them because I've read a few books on the Ottoman Empire.
Reply 4
Original post by Quantex
I think they became a bit of a footnote because there was so much post-WWI fallout in many countries. I only know about them because I've read a few books on the Ottoman Empire.

Same
Original post by Mathemagicien
Strange to use the term "impure blood" when denying a genocide :biggrin:

France, Italy, Canada and Russia are among only 29 nations that have explicitly acknowledged the existence of the slaughter of 1.5 million Armenians by the Ottoman Empire. Neither the UK nor the US acknowledge it as a genocide.

He claimed it is "not possible for a Muslim to commit genocide".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/german-mps-receive-turkish-death-threats-over-armenia-genocide-vote-a7067026.html

Interestingly, before he became president, Obama categorically stated that it was a genocide, but since becoming president he has avoided calling it a genocide.

[video="youtube;JwR83GZjwdo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwR83GZjwdo[/video]
Original post by The Epicurean
Interestingly, before he became president, Obama categorically stated that it was a genocide, but since becoming president he has avoided calling it a genocide.

[video="youtube;JwR83GZjwdo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwR83GZjwdo[/video]

politicans always have to watch their words. You see obama always seem tame when criticizing saudi, but harsh against russia.
Sounds like exactly the kind of leader of a country the EU needs!!
Original post by Quantex

The Assyrians too. One of the reasons the Anatolian Greeks don't get mentioned as much is probably because the Greek government basically signed away their rights and gave Turkey permission to drive them all out - on the condition that Greece would be allowed to do the same to its own Turkish and Muslim population. The agreement between the two states permitting this is, in my opinion, one of the most despicable treaties in modern international history.
Reply 9
I think whats more funny is the timing at which the Germans came out and acknowledged that it was a genocide
How about the Germans acknowledge the Holocaust first...
Original post by Mathemagicien
Ah, I heard about that. Still, it was the pragmatic solution from the Greeks' point of view, and perhaps saved a lot of Greek lives, who would probably have been killed otherwise.

Possibly, but it's a fine line between making the best of a bad job and collaboration. Don't get me wrong, it's a very hard thing to judge, and it's a problem that goes right up to recent conflicts. For example, in the Bosnian War the UN peacekeepers often helped facilitate the exodus of Bosniaks from areas they'd been expelled from by the Serbs; their claim was that the expulsion was already inevitable, and they were protecting the Bosniaks from worse atrocities had they not got out - however, many countered that they were collaborating with the ethnic cleansing and rewarding Serb atrocities.

In the Greek case, while the obvious comparison is what happened to the Armenians, there's the crucial difference that there already was a Greek state (the Armenian Genocide was, in part, sparked by concerns over Armenian separatism), and while Greeks in Thrace or Ionia might have tried to secede from Turkey to join Greece, it seems very unlikely that those in Trebizond or Cappadocia would have done - yet they were massacred and expelled just the same.
Original post by EuropeanW4tchman
Mixed race people are impure

bollox. there is no such a thing as "pure race".
from genetic and cultural point of view, interracial mixing is great thing to happen.
Reply 13
Original post by life.of.pablo

They do. Flagellating themselves over their past is basically the national pastime for Germans these days.
Original post by Wōden
They do. Flagellating themselves over their past is basically the national pastime for Germans these days.

Sounds great
Original post by life.of.pablo

Erm.....they have....?
Google Jews and the Armenian genocide

Young Turks were full of them.

Jews have been complicit in more genocides than anyone, yet they have us believe six million of them perished during ww2 when it was in the hundreds of thousands, not millions... It is pure propaganda they brainwash us with even in schools.

It serves as a victimhood shield so the Jews can continue their mischief and evil doings without opposition.

I remember reading a post on here by someone saying they watched a BBC program about Eastern-Europe Anti-semitism and they never understood why it exists.

Isn't it only too obvious? because most Jews were commies and involved in all the atrocities they carried out.

Yet I bet this BBC program did not mention any of this because that would be politically incorrect.

Jews are always the victims, never the villains aren't they?

If you expose their villainy, you are an anti-Semite. It is called defamation of the Jewish people..

The Jews are the one's who defame people more than anyone!

The Germans, the Christians for slavery which they were huge profiteers in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by M14B

Funnily enough the Smyrna Fire featured in a thriller I was reading only the other day by Eric Ambler.

As for Erdogan, the below is from a speech given on 29 May to two million people to celebrate the fall of Constantinople in 1453.

He asked "what is the conquest?"

“The conquest is Hijrah [expansion of Islam through emigration, following the example of Muhammad, the founder of Islam, and his followers from Mecca to Medina].

The conquest is Mecca. It is to cleanse the Kaaba, the house of Allah on earth, of all the icons. The conquest is Jerusalem.

“The conquest is Al-Andalus [Muslim Spain]. It is to build the most beautiful architecture, literature, and culture of the world such as in Córdoba and Granada.“The conquest is Samarkand [a city in present-day Uzbekistan and once a capital of the ancient Sogdian civilization whose main religion was Zoroastrianism].

“The conquest is Bukhara [also in present-day Uzbekistan. It was a diverse city with Zoroastrian, Buddhist, Jewish, and Nestorian Christian communities].“The conquest is Salah al-Din al-Ayubbi [Saladin, who in 1187 invaded Jerusalem]. It is to hoist the flag of Islam in Jerusalem again.

“The conquest is Alp Arslan [the second Sultan of the medieval Muslim Seljuk Empire, who conquered Anatolia].“The conquest is to open the doors of Anatolia up to Vienna for this blessed nation.

The conquest is Osman Ghazi [the first Ottoman Sultan]. It is to make the sycamore [the Ottoman Empire] meet with the ground that would cover three continents and seven climates

“The conquest is preparation. The conquest is when the Sultan Murad II abdicated the throne to his 12-year-old son, Mehmed II. And of course, the conquest is the Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. It is, at age 21, to embrace Istanbul, the most favorite city of the world, after destroying the millennial Byzantium.

“Mehmed the Conqueror conquered Istanbul in 1453. But the conquests always continued before and after that. They continued with Sultan Selim I the Grim, Sultan Suleiman the Lawgiver, Sultan Murad IV, and Sultan Abdul Hamid II.“The conquest is to have the courage, tenacity, and sagacity to defy the entire world even at the hardest times

“The conquest is 1994 [when Erdogan was elected mayor of Istanbul]. It is to serve Istanbul and the legacy of the Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending