The Student Room Group

AQA AS BIO Unit 2 OLD SPEC RESIT Tue 7th June (pm) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kira Yagami
Xerophytes adaptations.

Do you do old spec papers too? Or do you do the all the current spec papers and read tool and tool?

Do you really think the adaptations will come up? There doesn't seem like that much to write about!!
Someone suggested mitosis but that was a 4 marker last year so I doubt it; I reckon maybe meiosis as the 6 marker
Original post by annabelflynn
Do you really think the adaptations will come up? There doesn't seem like that much to write about!!
Someone suggested mitosis but that was a 4 marker last year so I doubt it; I reckon maybe meiosis as the 6 marker

They could ask a 6 marker on Xerophtyes. 3 for describing 3 things and 3 for explaining.

And when was the last time they ever asked about Xereophtyes? I don't even think that word is mentioned in any of the past papers lol
And when was the last time they ever asked about Xereophtyes? I don't even think that word is mentioned in any of the past papers lol

LOL yeah i've only ever seen a 2 marker xD

So what would you write about?
- They are plants that have adaptions which minimise water losses in areas where the loss of water via transpiration exceeds water uptake?
- The rolling up of leaves, hairy leaves and stomata in grooves traps a region of still air next to the leaf surface, which becomes saturated with water thus there is no water potential gradient so no transpiration.
- Thick cuticle, increases the diffusion pathway
- Small surface are to volume ratio, less water lost across the surface
What are the main points for a 6 marker on meiosis?
Original post by emma_1111
What are the main points for a 6 marker on meiosis?

Produces four daughter cells (haploid) - gametes
Importance:
- To produce haploid cells
- Maintains a constant number of chromosomes from one generation to the next
- The haploid cells will combine during fertilisation to form diploid cells
- Increases genetic variation by:
1. Independent Segregation
2. Crossing over

I think those are the main things!
LOL yeah i've only ever seen a 2 marker xD

So what would you write about?
- They are plants that have adaptions which minimise water losses in areas where the loss of water via transpiration exceeds water uptake?
- The rolling up of leaves, hairy leaves and stomata in grooves traps a region of still air next to the leaf surface, which becomes saturated with water thus there is no water potential gradient so no transpiration.
- Thick cuticle, increases the diffusion pathway
- Small surface are to volume ratio, less water lost across the surface

Yeah that would be fine.

Do you use tool and tool to revise with/ anything else? also do you do the questions in the tool and tool and do you do old spec papers too?/ any form of other questions other than current spec past papers?
Reply 27
Yeah that would be fine.

Do you use tool and tool to revise with/ anything else? also do you do the questions in the tool and tool and do you do old spec papers too?/ any form of other questions other than current spec past papers?

I use these:

https://6e169229cd1764777398d0b4338ac5dbb77c600e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ1dqZm10YldibVk/Key%20Points%20-%20Unit%202%20AQA%20Biology%20A-Level.pdf

I put them all on cue cards and memorised them all, they've been really helpful with past questions since a lot is just recall. Took me a while to write them down though, so maybe a bit too late. Still - glace over them in the morning tomorrow.
Reply 28
Original post by Biffalo_
I use these:

https://6e169229cd1764777398d0b4338ac5dbb77c600e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ1dqZm10YldibVk/Key%20Points%20-%20Unit%202%20AQA%20Biology%20A-Level.pdf

I put them all on cue cards and memorised them all, they've been really helpful with past questions since a lot is just recall. Took me a while to write them down though, so maybe a bit too late. Still - glace over them in the morning tomorrow.

Thank you that im writing notes on flash card :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Another note i found

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/unit%202%20notes.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh ok, thanks :smile:

Does any one here do old spec papers/ any other questions other than current spec past papers?
Reply 30
Oh ok, thanks :smile:

Does any one here do old spec papers/ any other questions other than current spec past papers?

i dont think many people do that because its not relevant to our current spec
Original post by Sooliga
i dont think many people do that because its not relevant to our current spec

oh ok.

There are a pack of questions which are meant to be for this spec but are questions from old spec papers. They seem quite helpful.
Do you know what other 6 markers havent been brought up in a while? Thanks x
Reply 33
oh ok.

There are a pack of questions which are meant to be for this spec but are questions from old spec papers. They seem quite helpful.

Can you send me a link?

Perhaps you can prove me wrong....
Original post by downton-abbie
Majorly regretting leaving starting revision till today thinking it's 'just a resit' lol

I started today kek
I'm only resitting to kind of make sure I can get a B grade in A2 so hopefully I can just get a decent B and take the free ucas points
Reply 35
Just checking for 100% - pm exam right?
Original post by 97Y
Just checking for 100% - pm exam right?

Yes afternoon PM exam
Do we need to know about phloem?
Original post by emma_1111
Do we need to know about phloem?

No only the xylem is on the spec
Good luck for the exam! 😃

Quick Reply

Latest