The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Exam

Hi Guys,
I am year 11 student who is going to do the AQA English Language Exam next Tuesday and I want to know what grade I need to get in the exam to get an A* or A overall based on my controlled assessment. My control assessment mark was 68/80 which is an A. Thank you for your help in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by starstudent7
Hi Guys,
I am year 11 student who is going to do the AQA English Language Exam next Tuesday and I want to know what grade I need to get in the exam to get an A* or A overall based on my controlled assessment. My control assessment mark was 68/80 which is an A. Thank you for your help in advance.

Around 58 for an A* and 48 for an A :smile:
Original post by luciie

Thank you:smile: Did you calculate it based on my coursework?:smile:
Reply 3
Thank you:smile: Did you calculate it based on my coursework?:smile:

Yep! It should be right :smile:

Oh but keep in mind the grade boundaries change each year so it might change by a few marks either way.
Hi Guys,

Hi! I am also in year 11 and wondering if anyone had any predictions for q5 and 6 for Tuesday's exam? Also how to prepare for it?
Original post by 123good2bme
Hi! I am also in year 11 and wondering if anyone had any predictions for q5 and 6 for Tuesday's exam? Also how to prepare for it?

Sorry I am not the best person to ask but I've just been been watching Mr Bruff's youtube videos on how to answer q5 and q6 and it seems to help.:smile:
Original post by luciie
Yep! It should be right :smile:

Oh but keep in mind the grade boundaries change each year so it might change by a few marks either way.

I understand but anyways thank you.:smile:
Hi guys, I'm retaking my English and sitting this exam on Tuesday, I was wondering what we need on the exam if my coursework marks and speaking and listenining marks were 48 and 24 (72 total) I'm aiming for a C! Do you know how many points I should get for this? Also, any pointers on what to study? I'm not so good with the writing aspect of the exam, so any revision techniques so I include and hopefully learn alliteration, similes, etc? I don't really know the terms all that well.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Sorry I am not the best person to ask but I've just been been watching Mr Bruff's youtube videos on how to answer q5 and q6 and it seems to help.:smile:

Thank you!
Original post by luciie

Hi, how did you calculate this?

I'm also on AQA, I'm at 67/80 for coursework, in the exam paper what would I need for an A* and what for an A?

I keep hearing varied answers, like my teacher told me I'd need 72/80 for an A* yet everything else seems to be much lower, somebody else on here told me I'd need quite a high mark for an A*, but your mark is much lower?

Thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Hi, how did you calculate this?

I'm also on AQA, I'm at 67/80 for coursework, in the exam paper what would I need for an A* and what for an A?

I keep hearing varied answers, like my teacher told me I'd need 72/80 for an A* yet everything else seems to be much lower, somebody else on here told me I'd need quite a high mark for an A*, but your mark is much lower?

Thanks.

Hi! I worked it out by using the AQA UMS grade boundaries (http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF) and the UMS converter (http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums).

The whole course is out of 300 UMS. For an A you need 240/300 UMS and for an A* you need 270 for an A. 67/80 marks equates to around 99 UMS therefore you will need around 141 UMS in the exam for an A and around 171 for an A*. 141 UMS is 50/80 and 171 is 60/80.

This is going off last year's grade boundaries so they may change a bit this year but not drastically.
Original post by luciie
Hi! I worked it out by using the AQA UMS grade boundaries (http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF) and the UMS converter (http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums).

The whole course is out of 300 UMS. For an A you need 240/300 UMS and for an A* you need 270 for an A. 67/80 marks equates to around 99 UMS therefore you will need around 141 UMS in the exam for an A and around 171 for an A*. 141 UMS is 50/80 and 171 is 60/80.

This is going off last year's grade boundaries so they may change a bit this year but not drastically.

Wow, I only need 60/80 for an A*? That's insane, there is hope after all! I got 57/80 in the mock about two months ago, and I feel I've improved a bit since then, so hopefully I'll get somewhere around 62/80 for a secure A*!

My head of year looked at the marks but must have calculated them wrong, because she told me that I'd need 60/80 for an A and 72/80 for an A* - which is extremely high, and I had given up hope of getting more than a mid A!

Thanks for the help, I'm a bit more hopeful for the exam now.
just here to remind all of yall that there is always space in our world for the expression of your art. Dont let whatever the letters, are printed on the piece of paper you receive in August, affect how you approach life post GCSE.
Original post by luciie

This **** is confusing, help me out?

I got 58 in the controlled assessment

what would I need for an A or B please?
Original post by AD41629
just here to remind all of yall that there is always space in our world for the expression of your art. Dont let whatever the letters, are printed on the piece of paper you receive in August, affect how you approach life post GCSE.

Thanks for that, English GCSE kills my passion for English as a subject, I just hate the way that even though they tell us that there is "no right or wrong in English", the questions are marked in such a way and you have such a short amount of time that you have to follow these exact guidelines for answering them - you need to do one specific thing in one specific way and there is little room for freedom.

Still, I like English despite this, and enjoy writing when it's not critiqued as "you must look through this question and tell us exactly what the author is feeling and you must then show what can be inferred from this and you must do it in exactly seventeen minutes".
Reply 15
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Thanks for that, English GCSE kills my passion for English as a subject, I just hate the way that even though they tell us that there is "no right or wrong in English", the questions are marked in such a way and you have such a short amount of time that you have to follow these exact guidelines for answering them - you need to do one specific thing in one specific way and there is little room for freedom.

Still, I like English despite this, and enjoy writing when it's not critiqued as "you must look through this question and tell us exactly what the author is feeling and you must then show what can be inferred from this and you must do it in exactly seventeen minutes".

You literally just summed up my thoughts :redface:
Reply 16
Original post by TSAntidote
This **** is confusing, help me out?

I got 58 in the controlled assessment

what would I need for an A or B please?

For an A you would need around 54/80 and for a B you need around 44/45.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by luciie
For an A you would need around 54/80 and for a B you need around 44/45.

If I got 80/80 for coursework, what do I need for an A* in this exam??
Reply 18
Original post by MaddieEdgoose
If I got 80/80 for coursework, what do I need for an A* in this exam??

Around 53/80
Original post by luciie
Around 53/80

Thank you!!! :smile:) exams really aren't my thing 😪

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending