The Student Room Group

WJEC AS CG1 Resit (6th June)

Hello,

Anybody also doing the CG1 Resit?

What's the best resources you're using to revise?
What questions do you think will come up?
What questions do you find most difficult?

Cheers

-S

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Samblues
Hello,

Anybody also doing the CG1 Resit?

What's the best resources you're using to revise?
What questions do you think will come up?
What questions do you find most difficult?

Cheers

-S

I just used past papers and literally remembered most of the answers off by heart. obv in relation to the question if needed I have to contextulise it to that question. Oh and some notes I used last year

I reckon:
- something to do with OS and the management of resources of the computer system for 6 marks
-The 12 marker im still unsure about tbh, could be change over + team of analysts or types of documentation + team of analysts.
- I also noticed in one exam they asked a 12 marker on different types of processing e.g. Real time transaction processing, Batch and real time control
Basically 12 marker can be anything tbh defo doubting it'd be last years essay question, but you never know
Might be an 8 marker on feasibility study too
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I found it quite good, I wasn't expecting Methods of Investigation to have been done twice in a row, though. It was also pretty interesting to see all 11 marks dedicated to the Methods themselves, rather than usually 8 with a set of 3 on why a team is better
Reply 3
Original post by Kenconut
I found it quite good, I wasn't expecting Methods of Investigation to have been done twice in a row, though. It was also pretty interesting to see all 11 marks dedicated to the Methods themselves, rather than usually 8 with a set of 3 on why a team is better

True true, was seriously like wtf they actually put that twice in a row. However I was printing out past mark schemes and noticed for 11 marker you got credited for stating the benefits of a team over an individual analyst. So im not sure if it is needed to gain full marks as they didn't explicitly state that
Reply 4
Original post by Dasaw
True true, was seriously like wtf they actually put that twice in a row. However I was printing out past mark schemes and noticed for 11 marker you got credited for stating the benefits of a team over an individual analyst. So im not sure if it is needed to gain full marks as they didn't explicitly state that

Yeah thats the point im making, previous MS that include this question thats above 8 marks usually included the mentioning of analyst team...

But I swear, if WJEC pull some sh*t like crediting the advantages of a team when they never told you to, and preventing you getting the full 11 marks as a result of not doing so, I will be very annoyed.

Their mark scheme inconsistencies across years has made revising this subject an absolute cancer, they change definitions of macros, they change the meaning of Alpha/Beta/Acceptance testing literally every time it shows up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah thats the point im making, previous MS that include this question thats above 8 marks usually included the mentioning of analyst team...

But I swear, if WJEC pull some sh*t like crediting the advantages of a team when they never told you to, and preventing you getting the full 11 marks as a result of not doing so, I will be very annoyed.

Their mark scheme inconsistencies across years has made revising this subject an absolute cancer, they change definitions of macros, they change the meaning of Alpha/Beta/Acceptance testing literally every time it shows up.

Yeah I checked a past paper and the mark scheme and it was the identical question but they credited benefits of a team. Not sure whether you will need that for full marks tho
Reply 6
Original post by Dasaw
Yeah I checked a past paper and the mark scheme and it was the identical question but they credited benefits of a team. Not sure whether you will need that for full marks tho

Which year, and surely the question itself would include talking about the benefits of a team, if it wanted you to put that as your answer.
2015's was 13 marks, and includes the exact statement "Describe the benefits of using a team of analysts to investigate the current system"

Q17 in June 2012 was also 11 marks, and asked said in the question itself to Describe benefits of a team
Q17 in June 2013 was 12 marks, but instead of a team it asked about Maintenance Documents as well

The inconsistencies here are appalling, if I truly get docked marks/made unable to achieve 11/11 because the question required advantages of a team (without ever saying or insinuating in the question itself) then I will be furious. It's unfair to have the mark value of essentially the same question keep changing about, as well as the point's they can credit you on also changing.

2015 gives 13 marks for Methods + Team
2012 gives 11 marks for Methods + Team

Judging by the shift in mark quantity, and the lack of mention in the question itself, I'd say 11 marks were just for the Methods alone (with the additional 2/3 marks probably being the team if asked)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Which year, and surely the question itself would include talking about the benefits of a team, if it wanted you to put that as your answer.
2015's was 13 marks, and includes the exact statement "Describe the benefits of using a team of analysts to investigate the current system"

Q17 in June 2012 was also 11 marks, and asked said in the question itself to Describe benefits of a team
Q17 in June 2013 was 12 marks, but instead of a team it asked about Maintenance Documents as well

The inconsistencies here are appalling, if I truly get docked marks/made unable to achieve 11/11 because the question required advantages of a team (without ever saying or insinuating in the question itself) then I will be furious. It's unfair to have the mark value of essentially the same question keep changing about, as well as the point's they can credit you on also changing.

2015 gives 13 marks for Methods + Team
2012 gives 11 marks for Methods + Team

Judging by the shift in mark quantity, and the lack of mention in the question itself, I'd say 11 marks were just for the Methods alone (with the additional 2/3 marks probably being the team if asked)

Oh forget what i said just checked the paper and the question did say mention adv/disadv of team nvm we're fine lol
Reply 8
Original post by Dasaw
Oh forget what i said just checked the paper and the question did say mention adv/disadv of team nvm we're fine lol

hahahaha thank god, I was absolutely sh*tting myself when you said that previous comment, I literally had to grab all my now defunct papers and literally skim read to find the Investigation questions hahaha
Reply 9
hahahaha thank god, I was absolutely sh*tting myself when you said that previous comment, I literally had to grab all my now defunct papers and literally skim read to find the Investigation questions hahaha

haha sorry my bad, didn't mean to scare you mate. Was talking to some friends after the exam and realised I dropped 4 marks for the sequential search... RIP could be worse tbf, fairly certain I only dropped about 10 marks give or take
Original post by Dasaw

did you put "@" as the symbol to replace 'at'?
and for lines
11 set Temp = SortArray
12 set SortArray = SortArray[i+1]
13 set SortArray[i +1] = Temp

did you put the same?
Original post by Dasaw
haha sorry my bad, didn't mean to scare you mate. Was talking to some friends after the exam and realised I dropped 4 marks for the sequential search... RIP could be worse tbf, fairly certain I only dropped about 10 marks give or take

sequential search was using binary search, right?
calc midpoint, compare element to searchvalue etc.?
Reply 12
did you put "@" as the symbol to replace 'at'?
and for lines
11 set Temp = SortArray
12 set SortArray = SortArray[i+1]
13 set SortArray[i +1] = Temp

did you put the same?

Yeah me and 2 other friends put @ for at. However my mate said that that question was a trick question cus he thought that "The" and "the" were different so you should have put "th"? I think that's what he meant regardless its one mark so im not bothered.

For the algorithm i kinda ****ed up, I got line 12 but put SortArray + 1 instead, and wasn't sure on the rest fairly certain u are right tho seems right to me.
Reply 13
sequential search was using binary search, right?
calc midpoint, compare element to searchvalue etc.?

Nah i thought the same thing, it was linear (Serial in an ordered array)
Original post by Dasaw
Yeah me and 2 other friends put @ for at. However my mate said that that question was a trick question cus he thought that "The" and "the" were different so you should have put "th"? I think that's what he meant regardless its one mark so im not bothered.

For the algorithm i kinda ****ed up, I got line 12 but put SortArray + 1 instead, and wasn't sure on the rest fairly certain u are right tho seems right to me.

seeing as you seem to be the only other person in the entirety of the UK who is resitting this exam and uses StudentRoom - im just going to interrogate further...

What about for Data compression? normally the paper would say File compression but i was confused, so i put 2 answers

One about compressing images for quick uploads to websites and reduce storage as limited space on web server

and another which is sort of based off the content of the follow up questions - like saying it uses symbols etc to compress text for web uploads etc, and uses some client side algorithm to translate the symbol text back to readable text (basically just pulled it out my arse).

I dunno if id get the marks for the first point cause the 2nd one is likely a load of sh*t and that followed on from the first answer as another example
Reply 15
seeing as you seem to be the only other person in the entirety of the UK who is resitting this exam and uses StudentRoom - im just going to interrogate further...

What about for Data compression? normally the paper would say File compression but i was confused, so i put 2 answers

One about compressing images for quick uploads to websites and reduce storage as limited space on web server

and another which is sort of based off the content of the follow up questions - like saying it uses symbols etc to compress text for web uploads etc, and uses some client side algorithm to translate the symbol text back to readable text (basically just pulled it out my arse).

I dunno if id get the marks for the first point cause the 2nd one is likely a load of sh*t and that followed on from the first answer as another example

You on about the 1 marker that followed the symbol used for the substitution of the character?
Original post by Dasaw
Nah i thought the same thing, it was linear (Serial in an ordered array)

Are you sure, because if I look at 2015s paper, the mark scheme answer for 14a (searching for SearchValue in an ordered array) ; the accepted answer is a binary search, so i think we may be correct here
Original post by Dasaw
You on about the 1 marker that followed the symbol used for the substitution of the character?

Nah, im on about give an example where Data Compression is used. It confused me initially as papers in past usually stated File Compression, so I was unsure on the context; so i just gave two uses.

For the symbol i just said @ and at are phonetically the same, so would be read as such
Reply 18
Nah, im on about give an example where Data Compression is used. It confused me initially as papers in past usually stated File Compression, so I was unsure on the context; so i just gave two uses.

For the symbol i just said @ and at are phonetically the same, so would be read as such

I cant remember a data compression question tbh
Original post by Dasaw
I cant remember a data compression question tbh

4a, appeared right before the symbol swapping stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending