The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Exam

Scroll to see replies

How many paragraphs should you write per question?
Reply 21
Original post by MaddieEdgoose
Thank you!!! :smile:) exams really aren't my thing 😪

I'm sure you'll do fine :smile: Congrats on the coursework mark!
Reply 22
Original post by Afro Tail
How many paragraphs should you write per question?

It's quality over quantity really, but I think around 4-6 would be ok? Just try to write as much as you can within the time :smile:
If I got 80/80 for coursework, what do I need for an A* in this exam??

Holy ****, did you actually get full coursework marks? Did you do any retakes?
Original post by 123good2bme
Hi! I am also in year 11 and wondering if anyone had any predictions for q5 and 6 for Tuesday's exam? Also how to prepare for it?

There's no way of predicting the topic's. Their tends to be a vague topic across the paper, for example health or poverty. But there's no criteria so it could literally be anything! Good luck :smile:
Original post by KomradeKorbyn

Nope?? Is it that hard? 😂 I did for literature too! Retakes aren't allowed are they?
Original post by luciie
It's quality over quantity really, but I think around 4-6 would be ok? Just try to write as much as you can within the time :smile:

We got taught 3 :smile:

I got the same, but through resitting the Extended Reading (picked me up 2 marks) and a creative writing (got me an extra one, but our teacher mucked up the marking so when moderated by our school, we all got an extra 2 marks anyway :redface:).

Did anyone do any revision for tomorrow? A lot of people I know have professed to be doing so, but frankly I can't see what there is to revise?
We got taught 3 :smile:

For me, depends on the question. Usually do around 2.5/3 points for Q4, 3 for headline and 3 for picture on Q2, about 5-6 for Q3 and as many as possible for Q1.
Original post by emmald583
I got the same, but through resitting the Extended Reading (picked me up 2 marks) and a creative writing (got me an extra one, but our teacher mucked up the marking so when moderated by our school, we all got an extra 2 marks anyway :redface:).

Did anyone do any revision for tomorrow? A lot of people I know have professed to be doing so, but frankly I can't see what there is to revise?

Glad I'm not the only one! Didn't know you're allowed to resit though?! And I've just gone over timing and which question is which to be honest because I'd forgotten after half term 😂
Original post by starstudent7
Hi Guys,
I am year 11 student who is going to do the AQA English Language Exam next Tuesday and I want to know what grade I need to get in the exam to get an A* or A overall based on my controlled assessment. My control assessment mark was 68/80 which is an A. Thank you for your help in advance.

if I were you, i'd aim for at least 65/80 for the exam for an A* Based on your coursework, bc you're 7 marks away from an A* in your coursework and you'd want to make that up in the exam (as the boundary is usually 58/80) even though the exam is worth a higher percentage than coursework :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't revised :s-smilie:
Original post by luciie
For an A you would need around 54/80 and for a B you need around 44/45.

I think I got a high B for the coursework. Could you please tell me what I need to score on the exam for a safe A* overall?
Thank you:smile:
Glad I'm not the only one! Didn't know you're allowed to resit though?! And I've just gone over timing and which question is which to be honest because I'd forgotten after half term 😂

It wasn't an official resit, we just did a different task for the same CA to see if we got more marks. If we did, we submitted that version 😂
Reply 34
Thanks for that, English GCSE kills my passion for English as a subject, I just hate the way that even though they tell us that there is "no right or wrong in English", the questions are marked in such a way and you have such a short amount of time that you have to follow these exact guidelines for answering them - you need to do one specific thing in one specific way and there is little room for freedom.

Still, I like English despite this, and enjoy writing when it's not critiqued as "you must look through this question and tell us exactly what the author is feeling and you must then show what can be inferred from this and you must do it in exactly seventeen minutes".

This is exactly how I feel
Reply 35
I really struggle on question 5 and 6 does anyone have any advice? Please
Original post by LoopyLulu1997
Hi guys, I'm retaking my English and sitting this exam on Tuesday, I was wondering what we need on the exam if my coursework marks and speaking and listenining marks were 48 and 24 (72 total) I'm aiming for a C! Do you know how many points I should get for this? Also, any pointers on what to study? I'm not so good with the writing aspect of the exam, so any revision techniques so I include and hopefully learn alliteration, similes, etc? I don't really know the terms all that well.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Original post by LoopyLulu1997
I'm not so good with the writing aspect of the exam

It's an English exam..

The whole thing is writing.
Thanks for that, English GCSE kills my passion for English as a subject, I just hate the way that even though they tell us that there is "no right or wrong in English", the questions are marked in such a way and you have such a short amount of time that you have to follow these exact guidelines for answering them - you need to do one specific thing in one specific way and there is little room for freedom.

Still, I like English despite this, and enjoy writing when it's not critiqued as "you must look through this question and tell us exactly what the author is feeling and you must then show what can be inferred from this and you must do it in exactly seventeen minutes".

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Original post by Trapping
It's an English exam..

The whole thing is writing.

Haha I think they know that, but the exam is split into Q1-Q4 is 'Reading' because you read the texts but the final two questions are 'Writing' since you have to write your own speech/report/article etc.!
Original post by Rehaanjali
if I were you, i'd aim for at least 65/80 for the exam for an A* Based on your coursework, bc you're 7 marks away from an A* in your coursework and you'd want to make that up in the exam (as the boundary is usually 58/80) even though the exam is worth a higher percentage than coursework :smile:

Thank you for your help. I just had my exam today and it was good so hopefully I get 65/80 marks.:wink: Did you do it and if so how did you find it?:smile:

Quick Reply