The Student Room Group

As level biology aqa new spec

does anyone know any predictions of what could possibly come on on the AS biology 2016 paper on Thursday 26th May
I'm not sure exactly what will come up but being a new specification they are likely to test the new sections which have been added and of course, the practical's.
Reply 2
thankyou, what is the new sections?
Original post by hannaho99
does anyone know any predictions of what could possibly come on on the AS biology 2016 paper on Thursday 26th May

Hi!

I think topics like Classificiation and gene mutations were brought down from the A2 spec so could be tested on those and I think the practicals aswell. I know in the specimens there hasn't been much or anything on the heart or digestion so perhaps those aswell...

I really hope there's nothing on water potential or much maths related either!

Good luck for tomorrow - You'll do well!
Reply 4
After paper 1, what do you think will come up in paper 2?
My teacher has told us a few things...
- meiosis
- Osmosis
- Ventilation and gas exchange in fish, insects and humans
- Standard deviation
- Biodiversity and classification

Hope that helps!! How did you find paper 1?
Reply 6
Thank you that is really helpful!
I think it went okish, I dunno its really hard to know, especially with the new spec, the mark schemes seem mega pedantic :/ just praying the grade boundaries are rock bottom low :')
How did you find it?
Original post by AMC98
Thank you that is really helpful!
I think it went okish, I dunno its really hard to know, especially with the new spec, the mark schemes seem mega pedantic :/ just praying the grade boundaries are rock bottom low :':wink:
How did you find it?

I found it so hard! Some questions were ok about the emulsion test and thinngs but the longer ones were really hard and like you said the mark schemes are so picky!!
Reply 8
I'm just hoping I can smash paper 2...*silently cries*
hi can someone help me in this question i cant really figure out why the answer is D

Which changes to the water potential and the volume of liquid in the phloem occur when amino acids are taken out of a sink in a phloem sieve tube?( there is a space between water potential in phloem seive tubes and volume of liquid in phloem sieve tubes so i just typed them in italic and bold)

water in potential in phloem sieve tubes volume of liquid in phloem sieve tubes
A) higher decreased
B) higher increased
c) lower decreased
D) lower increased

oh and can someone provide me with REALLY GOOD notes for food test i cant solve any question in paper 1 relating to that topic
thank u !
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone please tell me what topics were on paper 1? And what was the application question about.
Original post by alyoan tariq
hi can someone help me in this question i cant really figure out why the answer is D

Which changes to the water potential and the volume of liquid in the phloem occur when amino acids are taken out of a sink in a phloem sieve tube?( there is a space between water potential in phloem seive tubes and volume of liquid in phloem sieve tubes so i just typed them in italic and bold)

water in potential in phloem sieve tubes volume of liquid in phloem sieve tubes
A) higher decreased
B) higher increased
c) lower decreased
D) lower increased

oh and can someone provide me with REALLY GOOD notes for food test i cant solve any question in paper 1 relating to that topic
thank u !

Hi! Not 100% sure on this answer but I'll give it a go...

So I think it's lower increased because at the sink, the solutes (sugars) move out leaving just water which means the water potential is increased and there is a large volume of it. Not sure on the amino acid part though sorry!

As for the food tests do you mean reducing and non reducing sugars? Or all of them?

Reducing --- Add Benedicts reagent to the sample, heat to 95 degrees and shake
RED IS POSITIVE

Non reducing --- Test for reducing sugars, if negative take another sample of the food you are testing and add dilute hydrochloric acid then heat. Add sodium hydrogen carbonate to neutralise and test for reducing sugars again
RED IS POSITIVE

TEST FOR STARCH --- Add a few drops of iodine to sample
BLUE/BLACK POSITIVE

BIURET TEST FOR PROTEINS --- Add sodium hydroxide solution to make it alkaline then add copper sulfate solution
PURPLE IS POS

Hope that helps :smile: i didnt include emulsion test for lipids because that was on paper one!
Original post by aqasworstenemy
Hi! Not 100% sure on this answer but I'll give it a go...

So I think it's lower increased because at the sink, the solutes (sugars) move out leaving just water which means the water potential is increased and there is a large volume of it. Not sure on the amino acid part though sorry!

As for the food tests do you mean reducing and non reducing sugars? Or all of them?

Reducing --- Add Benedicts reagent to the sample, heat to 95 degrees and shake
RED IS POSITIVE

Non reducing --- Test for reducing sugars, if negative take another sample of the food you are testing and add dilute hydrochloric acid then heat. Add sodium hydrogen carbonate to neutralise and test for reducing sugars again
RED IS POSITIVE

TEST FOR STARCH --- Add a few drops of iodine to sample
BLUE/BLACK POSITIVE

BIURET TEST FOR PROTEINS --- Add sodium hydroxide solution to make it alkaline then add copper sulfate solution
PURPLE IS POS

Hope that helps :smile: i didnt include emulsion test for lipids because that was on paper one!

hey thank u !!!
yea its ok though for the emulsion test im fine with that
thanks once again
Hey guys, is anybody able to write out a model answer for transcription and translation please? I don't get it at all :frown:
Original post by angellll
Hey guys, is anybody able to write out a model answer for transcription and translation please? I don't get it at all :frown:

Hi! Im no expert at all but all up to help if u can! I dont understand transcription myself so I'm really sorry!

But translation...

1. mRNA attaches to a protein

2. A tRNA molecule attaches to an amino acid

3. The tRNA molecule has an anticodon which is complimentary to the first codon (3 bases) of the mRNA strand

4. The tRNA molecule attaches to the first codon by complimentary base pairing

5. This happens again with another tRNA molecule which has a complimentary anticodon to the second codon.

6. The amino acids from both tRNA molecules attach by a peptide bond and the first tRNA molecule moves away leaving its amino acid

7. This process continues until a polypeptide chain is formed of lots of amino acids

Hope that helped a bit! Good luck for tomorrow.. lets hope its better than paper 1!!
Hi! Im no expert at all but all up to help if u can! I dont understand transcription myself so I'm really sorry!

But translation...

3. The tRNA molecule has an anticodon which is complimentary to the first codon (3 bases) of the mRNA strand

5. This happens again with another tRNA molecule which has a complimentary anticodon to the second codon.

6. The amino acids from both tRNA molecules attach by a peptide bond and the first tRNA molecule moves away leaving its amino acid

7. This process continues until a polypeptide chain is formed of lots of amino acids

Hope that helped a bit! Good luck for tomorrow.. lets hope its better than paper 1!!

Thank you so much for this! No worries. Good luck to you too! I hope so too.

But translation...

doesn't the mRNA attach to the ribosome
Original post by dragonblazer11
doesn't the mRNA attach to the ribosome

Yeah it does

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending