The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 1-International Relations-6th June 2016 Exam

Scroll to see replies

guys howd u prioritize yoour 13 markerrrrrrrrrr?
If you did something out of the time period they just will not mark it and only mark what was in the time period. Also you need to talk about more than just they have given to get anything higher than 6

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the 13 marker, i said the refugee crisis was the most important as it caused Berlin to become a 'fishbone in Khruschev's throat' as it both economically drained East Berlin, and looked as an embarrassment for East Berlin. Without the refugee crisis the two different Berlin Ultimatums may not have occurred, and therefore the construction of the Wall may not have occurred either. The events i talked about in order was:
- the refugee crisis
- the 1958 berlin ultimatum
- the issue at the 1960 Paris summit leading to the second ultimatum in Vienna 1961
- Khruschev building the wall as the second ultimatum was not possible to complete due to the strength of the USA
- The importance of the Wall
- Kennedy's 'I am a berliner' speech in 1963
Uggh I regret not revising more 😔😔
I did not realise that you were meant to link or prioritise anything. I just wrote.
Also I thought that the Checkpoint Charlie face off occurred during the time given. So, I had four points, but one was wrong, and I merged two into one...resulting in only the two points that they gave. And I was aiming for an A*...
Original post by A_Human_Being
Uggh I regret not revising more 😔😔
I did not realise that you were meant to link or prioritise anything. I just wrote.
Also I thought that the Checkpoint Charlie face off occurred during the time given. So, I had four points, but one was wrong, and I merged two into one...resulting in only the two points that they gave. And I was aiming for an A*...

In order to reach the Level 4 band you need to at least prioritise one event (as long as you explained each one fully and their importance), and then to reach the top of level 4, link each point into one another and base their importance of this. You may still be able to achieve possibly Level 3 which is something around 8-10 marks however, as long as you explained your points correctly.
Original post by Jak123
For the 13 marker, i said the refugee crisis was the most important as it caused Berlin to become a 'fishbone in Khruschev's throat' as it both economically drained East Berlin, and looked as an embarrassment for East Berlin. Without the refugee crisis the two different Berlin Ultimatums may not have occurred, and therefore the construction of the Wall may not have occurred either. The events i talked about in order was:
- the refugee crisis
- the issue at the 1960 Paris summit leading to the second ultimatum in Vienna 1961
- Khruschev building the wall as the second ultimatum was not possible to complete due to the strength of the USA

why dont u shoot me hmm
Original post by Jak123
- the refugee crisis

i spent all my bloody time on question 3 and i had TEN MINUTES for this question :angry:
UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME FOR QUESTION 5 - POTSDAM 1945, Marshall Plan 1947. These are only sample answers i am offering as a student to give examples.
POTSDAM
Potsdam was the last conference between the superpowers after the defeat of Germany on May 8th 1945. This conference took place between Stalin, and the newly introduced Truman (USA) and Atlee (Britain). This conference discussed agreements on things such as the persecution of Nazi war criminals, the division of Berlin, confirmation of Poland's new borders and the creation of the UN. However, Truman was a hardline anti-communists so tensions in this conference proved to be weary, and therefore was important to international relations as it caused them to decline. Stalin had disagreed over firstly the definition of a 'true democracy' as he believed in one party states. This proved to be important during his expansion over Eastern Europe after 1945, as it caused the creation of the Truman Doctrine and caused massive tensions to rise. Furthermore, the division of Berlin not being agreed upon led to further disagreements over the Berlin Blockade (1948-49) and the Berlin Wall crisis (1961) - ultimately again causing tensions to rise over failed agreements coming into place.

MARSHALL PLAN
The Marshall Plan followed the Truman Doctrine in March 1947, and stated the US would offer $13 billion to Europe, in attempt to help rebuild it. The money was used to help prevent Eastern Europeans fight the expansion of the Soviet Union. This event was important as it caused the worsening of international relations. For example, the US offered $400 million to Greece in 1947 in order to destroy the attempted communist rebellion against the pro-west government. Stalin desired to create a Soviet controlled Eastern Bloc, and the Marshall Plan caused the prevention of this. In bitterness, Stalin retaliated through the creation of Cominform, a way to encourage countries in the Eastern Bloc to reject help from Marshall Aid. Stalin saw Marshall Aid as an unofficial declaration of war, and tensions began to become sour.
Guys i literally had 10 bloody minutes for the 13 marker so i only wrote 2 pages and like 4 lines on the last page :frown:
i talked about the refugee crisis, building of the wall, camp david conference/november ultimatum/ultimatum being restored after kennedy beecame president
but my quality of explanation sucked lmaooo! but the exam was actually quite great
there was a fire drill during my exam hahahaha

edit:
also for the 10 marker i wrote like 3 pages but i focused a lot on gorbachevs attitude changing after the period of the second cold war? (as he realised the ussr couldn't compete w/sdi and the arms race etc)
what did you guys write?

and also which order of importance did you put the events in for 13 marker?i prioritised:
-refugee crisis least important
-summits/meetings/ultimatum second most important
-building of the wall most important
wbu guys xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx please answer. much appreciated

1: Summits and meetings
2: Refugee Crisis
3. Berlin wall

Summits almost led to nuclear war.
Refugee crisis led to original ultimatum
Berlin Wall actually reduced tension as it averted war
(edited 7 years ago)
Did anyone else write about the Vienna Summit in Q6??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicerose.j
Did anyone else write about the Vienna Summit in Q6??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I talked about all four! My paragraph for that one was about three quarters of a page long, whoops! But I hope your exam went well, overall it was okay :biggrin:
did anyone talk about Kennedy's support in q6, like his visit to berlin
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone remember the exact wording of the last question?

I'm really worried I've done it wrong.Did you only have to write about Berlin?

Thanks
Original post by niv1234

Thanks

why was berlin seen as a flashpoint between 1958-63?
Original post by niv1234

Thanks

It was something like - 'Explain why Berlin was flashpoint in the Cold War between the years 1958-63'
Original post by louisemayorx
Yes, I talked about all four! My paragraph for that one was about three quarters of a page long, whoops! But I hope your exam went well, overall it was okay :biggrin:

and the Khrushev ultimatium and all summits Vienna doesnt cvount i think geneva conference paris and camp david
Original post by Jak123
UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME FOR QUESTION 5 - POTSDAM 1945, Marshall Plan 1947. These are only sample answers i am offering as a student to give examples.
POTSDAM
Potsdam was the last conference between the superpowers after the defeat of Germany on May 8th 1945. This conference took place between Stalin, and the newly introduced Truman (USA) and Atlee (Britain). This conference discussed agreements on things such as the persecution of Nazi war criminals, the division of Berlin, confirmation of Poland's new borders and the creation of the UN. However, Truman was a hardline anti-communists so tensions in this conference proved to be weary, and therefore was important to international relations as it caused them to decline. Stalin had disagreed over firstly the definition of a 'true democracy' as he believed in one party states. This proved to be important during his expansion over Eastern Europe after 1945, as it caused the creation of the Truman Doctrine and caused massive tensions to rise. Furthermore, the division of Berlin not being agreed upon led to further disagreements over the Berlin Blockade (1948-49) and the Berlin Wall crisis (1961) - ultimately again causing tensions to rise over failed agreements coming into place.

MARSHALL PLAN
The Marshall Plan followed the Truman Doctrine in March 1947, and stated the US would offer $13 billion to Europe, in attempt to help rebuild it. The money was used to help prevent Eastern Europeans fight the expansion of the Soviet Union. This event was important as it caused the worsening of international relations. For example, the US offered $400 million to Greece in 1947 in order to destroy the attempted communist rebellion against the pro-west government. Stalin desired to create a Soviet controlled Eastern Bloc, and the Marshall Plan caused the prevention of this. In bitterness, Stalin retaliated through the creation of Cominform, a way to encourage countries in the Eastern Bloc to reject help from Marshall Aid. Stalin saw Marshall Aid as an unofficial declaration of war, and tensions began to become sour.

Also created Comecon, Soviet rival to Marshall Plan
I completely forgot about the 6 months ultimatum fml. I guess there's no point stressing, I can't change it now.
I'm glad other people thought the Gorbachev sources question was odd, I thought I was the only one.
On the Czechoslovakia question (which I only did because I had no idea what to write for the Warsaw Pact one) I didn't really know but then it suddenly came rushing out my brain and I knew more than I thought. Though there was a point where I was sitting there with no idea and the really old invigilator we had stood next to me for ages like 'wtf why is this girl not writing anything' haha.
Original post by Mahrez
why was berlin seen as a flashpoint between 1958-63?

Original post by Jak123
It was something like - 'Explain why Berlin was flashpoint in the Cold War between the years 1958-63'

Thanks.

I only wrote about Berlin but now I'm wondering if we had to write about other things in that time period?
Original post by LordMallard
Also created Comecon, Soviet rival to Marshall Plan

Comecon however was 1949 and was mainly a reaction to the formation of NATO.

Quick Reply

Latest