The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 1-International Relations-6th June 2016 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niv1234
Thanks.

I only wrote about Berlin but now I'm wondering if we had to write about other things in that time period?

Khrushev ultimatium
the conferences
i think you could get away with talking about cuban missile crisis if you disagreed with the questions
Original post by niv1234
Thanks.

I only wrote about Berlin but now I'm wondering if we had to write about other things in that time period?

No you didn't, it only asked about Berlin. However, other events such as the Summits weren't directly about Berlin, but did cause issues in Berlin so it was good to mention these, especially the 1960 Paris summit, and 1961 Vienna summit.
When i was writing about the ultimatum i said that Khrushchev was trying to get rid of Western powers in Berlin and that it had happened previously with the Berlin blockade in 1948/49 but i didn't write about it as a main reason because it was out of the time frame but do you think i would get penalised for that line on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mahrez
Khrushev ultimatium
the conferences
i think you could get away with talking about cuban missile crisis if you disagreed with the questions

Original post by Jak123
No you didn't, it only asked about Berlin. However, other events such as the Summits weren't directly about Berlin, but did cause issues in Berlin so it was good to mention these, especially the 1960 Paris summit, and 1961 Vienna summit.

Oh ok oops, I interpreted the question wrong. I only wrote about Berlin- the refugee crisis, the wall and the stuff about capitalism. Is that bad? I'm really worried now.

But thanks you both are really helpful.
Original post by serenity_137
When i was writing about the ultimatum i said that Khrushchev was trying to get rid of Western powers in Berlin and that it had happened previously with the Berlin blockade in 1948/49 but i didn't write about it as a main reason because it was out of the time frame but do you think i would get penalised for that line on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this too but I didn't write much on it. I was so confused about what to write. The time period was weird for me and I've just realised that I needed to have included other things like the U2 spy plane and Cuban missile crisis.
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok oops, I interpreted the question wrong. I only wrote about Berlin- the refugee crisis, the wall and the stuff about capitalism. Is that bad? I'm really worried now.

But thanks you both are really helpful.

Hm, it depends on your explanation really. Obviously Capitalism was an issue, and as long as you mentioned this ideology of Capitalism vs Communism caused the West to prosper and the East to summer, which in turn caused the refugee problem as people attempted to escape to the more wealthy west, then this should be fine.
Also, you need to have explained the interlink between the 3 points you said to gain the highest possible grade, or at least explained which was most important to reach 11 marks (with viable explanations) :smile:.
Original post by serenity_137

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will not get penalised as long as you explain the ultimatum fully and mention the importance of it, and also you may have needed to include the ultimatum of 1961, as this proved to be the most important of the two ultimatums. He never proposed an ultimatum in 49, just a blockade however, so be wary on this issue.
Original post by Jak123
Hm, it depends on your explanation really. Obviously Capitalism was an issue, and as long as you mentioned this ideology of Capitalism vs Communism caused the West to prosper and the East to summer, which in turn caused the refugee problem as people attempted to escape to the more wealthy west, then this should be fine.
Also, you need to have explained the interlink between the 3 points you said to gain the highest possible grade, or at least explained which was most important to reach 11 marks (with viable explanations) :smile:.

I think I did that (I hope), oh well this is the paper I like the least so hopefully the marks from the others can pull me up.
so no one wrote anything about Kennedy's visit to West Berlin as one of the points in question 6
Original post by swanlake101
so no one wrote anything about Kennedy's visit to West Berlin as one of the points in question 6

I mentioned that by 1963, Berlin had become less of a flashpoint now through Kennedy's famous 'I am a berliner' speech, as he never followed through with any further actions within West Berlin following the speech.
Original post by niv1234
I think I did that (I hope), oh well this is the paper I like the least so hopefully the marks from the others can pull me up.

Well lets just hope you did :smile: Good luck with the other papers!
Original post by Jak123
I mentioned that by 1963, Berlin had become less of a flashpoint now through Kennedy's famous 'I am a berliner' speech, as he never followed through with any further actions within West Berlin following the speech.
oh right, because I said it was a flashpoint as it was declaring his opposition towards Kennedy.
Original post by Jak123
Well lets just hope you did :smile: Good luck with the other papers!

Thank you, you too:biggrin:, you seem like a nice, helpful person and I hope you do well :wink:
Original post by swanlake101
oh right, because I said it was a flashpoint as it was declaring his opposition towards Kennedy.

Khrushchev*, and this was not really an importance because again, no further tension grew on Berlin as now Khruschev no longer needed to worry about the embarrassment of Berlin, and offered security and an economic future for East Berlin
Original post by Jak123
You will not get penalised as long as you explain the ultimatum fully and mention the importance of it, and also you may have needed to include the ultimatum of 1961, as this proved to be the most important of the two ultimatums. He never proposed an ultimatum in 49, just a blockade however, so be wary on this issue.

Yeah i just kind of referred to it being in the past but but i fully explained the ultimatum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jak123
Khrushchev*, and this was not really an importance because again, no further tension grew in Berlin as now Khruschev no longer needed to worry about the embarrassment of Berlin, and offered security and an economic future for East Berlin
oops Khrushchev*, I didn't realise we could talk about how tension eased. Oh well, i just hope the examiner is aware that Kennedy's visit is a valid point.
GUYS I WROTE about the genva summit where they talked about khruschevs ultimatum and that in the end they didnt reach a solution. Would this be a valid point - the other points i discusses was :
Refugee crisis
Khruschevs Ultimatum
and Berlin wall tensions
I added Kennedy's ich bin ein Berliner speech in question 6. This correct?
Original post by Jak123
In order to reach the Level 4 band you need to at least prioritise one event (as long as you explained each one fully and their importance), and then to reach the top of level 4, link each point into one another and base their importance of this. You may still be able to achieve possibly Level 3 which is something around 8-10 marks however, as long as you explained your points correctly.

Ahh I definitely didn't do that one correctly. I was wondering why I had an entire page left at the end, as I usually use all the paper. Damn I could have literally spent three minutes to get those few marks. Well I hope I got band 3 at 10 marks. I'm also hoping I got 3 marks for SPAG.

Thanks though, that is helpful. I guess now I know.
Original post by Owen_EFC
I added Kennedy's ich bin ein Berliner speech in question 6. This correct?
what did you say?

Quick Reply

Latest