The Student Room Group

Hard A* GCSE Question Challenge - Perfect for Edexcel Calculator Paper Revision

Hi guys,
created these questions myself and are very challenging. These types of questions are usually found at the end of the paper and require logical thinking and problem solving skills. The document i've attached contains 3 questions, ordered from easiest to hardest. Give them a go and tell me how you found those questions. If you become stuck simply notify me, and i can help you out. ~ Enjoy

All these questions are not drawn to scale

I have UPDATED the document with some changes to the final question as i noticed that some people might be prone to rounding errors... ( On the last question make sure you round your calculations in your working out to 3 sf, so that your final answer is unaffected)

Detailed solutions added
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gurpartapl
Hi guys,
created these questions myself and are very challenging. These types of questions are usually found at the end of the paper and require logical thinking and problem solving skills. The document i've attached contains 3 questions, ordered from easiest to hardest. Give them a go and tell me how you found those questions. If you become stuck simply notify me, and i can help you out. ~ Enjoy

PS - THE SOLUTIONS WILL BE ADDED BY TOMORROW AS I AM CURRENTLY REVISING ADD MATHS.

Thanks for this:smile:
damn son
Thank you :smile:.
Reply 4
Thanks! I'm also doing Add Maths - are you doing FSMQ?
Reply 5
Original post by ArMy07
Thanks! I'm also doing Add Maths - are you doing FSMQ?

Yep! Good luck for your exam.
Reply 6
Yep! Good luck for your exam.

Thanks you - good luck to you too.. Linear Programming will literally be the death of me...
Reply 7
Hi guys,

All these questions are not drawn to scale

I have UPDATED the document with some changes to the final question as i noticed that some people might be prone to rounding errors... ( On the last question make sure you round your calculations in your working out to 3 sf, so that your final answer is unaffected)

PS - THE SOLUTIONS WILL BE ADDED BY TOMORROW AS I AM CURRENTLY REVISING ADD MATHS.

Hey, do you have the mark scheme for these questions? If so, is there any way you could send them to me please? Thanks
Good questions! Thanks!
Reply 9
hi gurp guess who this is
q2 I am unable to do, anyone available to explain?
Original post by nadiakms
q2 I am unable to do, anyone available to explain?

After quite a bit of help, I finally arrived at the correct answer.
Step 1: Draw a probability tree - using the X
Step 2: Work out the probability of BB
Step 3: Form an equation equalling 6/30
Step 4: Simplify down to one equation (a quadratic)
Step 5: Solve using quadratic formula
Step 6: Pick the correct value.
Step 7: 20-your value is how many sweets he has.

Sorry, it's a bit rushed my explanation, here is a link to my working out :smile:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8688d1zc2257reb/IMG_20160606_0001.pdf?dl=0
Original post by danielwinstanley
After quite a bit of help, I finally arrived at the correct answer.
Step 1: Draw a probability tree - using the X
Step 2: Work out the probability of BB
Step 3: Form an equation equalling 6/30
Step 4: Simplify down to one equation (a quadratic)
Step 5: Solve using quadratic formula
Step 6: Pick the correct value.
Step 7: 20-your value is how many sweets he has.

Sorry, it's a bit rushed my explanation, here is a link to my working out :smile:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8688d1zc2257reb/IMG_20160606_0001.pdf?dl=0

It doesn't really make sense. I got exactly the same value 9.2 (with almost identical working) but surely you'd end up with an integer if that was the correct number?
wow Thanks!! btw, how did you find the Add Maths? We had to self-teach ourselves and not sure if I've done well.
Original post by thomas-cowley
It doesn't really make sense. I got exactly the same value 9.2 (with almost identical working) but surely you'd end up with an integer if that was the correct number?

Yes, I got 9.232124598 for a number of blue sweets. But I rounded to one significant figure. In the same way, you could have minused this decimal from 20 and got 10.7678754 which hence rounds to 11.

Sorry, if this isn't what you mean.

EDIT: I don't know if the answer is correct, but the person who created the thread said I got it right at 9 blue sweets.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thomas-cowley
I was confused about the same thing, got the same answer, but I realised it won't be correct, so I played around a little and I did x/20 *2, as it doesn't mention that he takes the 2 out separately, that gave me 2x/20 and then I equated it to 6/30 and rearranged and ended up getting 2 blue sweets, therefore 18 yellow sweets, however I think I may be wrong.
Yes, I got 9.232124598 for a number of blue sweets. But I rounded to one significant figure. In the same way, you could have minused this decimal from 20 and got 10.7678754 which hence rounds to 11.

Sorry, if this isn't what you mean.

EDIT: I don't know if the answer is correct, but the person who created the thread said I got it right at 9 blue sweets.
But if he has 20 sweets then he should get an integer for the amount of blue sweets because having 9.2 blue sweets means you have 10.8 yellow sweets, and in regards to rounding, I'm sure you shouldn't have to round any number as the number of blue sweets in his pockets can only be a whole number. Confusing:s-smilie:

Edit: just saw you edited your post, sorry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hamza772000
But if he has 20 sweets then he should get an integer for the amount of blue sweets because having 9.2 blue sweets means you have 10.8 yellow sweets, and in regards to rounding, I'm sure you shouldn't have to round any number as the number of blue sweets in his pockets can only be a whole number. Confusing:s-smilie:

Edit: just saw you edited your post, sorry.

I do see what you mean, @gurpartapl can you shine any light on this?
I do see what you mean, @gurpartapl can you shine any light on this?
This is a lot like the Hannah's sweets question, apart from the fact that in that question you got an integer after solving, which made perfect sense.
Reply 19
Edexcel has given previous questions in maths gcse that requires the students to choose suitable values of things, so for example, if you got 9.2.... so on... number of sweets. You to make a decision that you cannot have 9.2 number of sweets therefore round down to 9... Sorry if it confused you. @hamza772000 and thanks for doing these questions.

Quick Reply

Latest