The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE history exam paper 06/06/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starstudent7
Yes me too I didn't like source B with people dancing.:smile: But I am sure you have still done really well.:smile:

Some points that I wrote for not useful were:
-It shows life only in Berlin, not throughout all the Weimar Republic, so it's usefulness is limited.
-It only shows nightlife, not life in general.
-The people depicted seem wealthy due to their attire so they are not a valid portrayal of the whole society.
Do you think the grade boundaries will be high?
Original post by funky23
Do you think the grade boundaries will be high?

I don't think the grade boundaries will be high, but they will be higher than last year. Last year it was 62/81 for an A* and 2 years ago it was 66/81. This year I think it will be about 64/81 for an A*
I did the Cold War and Germany and I chose Q3 for Cold War and 8 for Germany, did anyone else do that as well?
Original post by Shockzzz_ahmed
I don't think the grade boundaries will be high, but they will be higher than last year. Last year it was 62/81 for an A* and 2 years ago it was 66/81. This year I think it will be about 64/81 for an A*

Yeah probably
What did people get for the prohibition agents purpose question in the USA 1919-1941 section? Seemed to me like there wasn't much of a purpose.
I did the Cold War and Germany and I chose Q3 for Cold War and 8 for Germany, did anyone else do that as well?

I did.:smile:
Some points that I wrote for not useful were:
-It shows life only in Berlin, not throughout all the Weimar Republic, so it's usefulness is limited.
-It only shows nightlife, not life in general.
-The people depicted seem wealthy due to their attire so they are not a valid portrayal of the whole society.

Omg I didn't write any of those points.:eek: I wrote that the the source was published in 1928 whereas the questions said that as evidence from 1924 to 1929. So I wrote not useful as 1924 was the start of Germany's recovery because of the Dawes plan so people won't have become that rich enough to enjoy such luxuries portrayed in the source. Also in 1929, there was the wall street crash so would have caused the German economy to fail so the Germans would not have been able to enjoy nightlife as portrayed in the source.:smile:
Omg I didn't write any of those points.:eek: I wrote that the the source was published in 1928 whereas the questions said that as evidence from 1924 to 1929. So I wrote not useful as 1924 was the start of Germany's recovery because of the Dawes plan so people won't have become that rich enough to enjoy such luxuries portrayed in the source. Also in 1929, there was the wall street crash so would have caused the German economy to fail so the Germans would not have been able to enjoy nightlife as portrayed in the source.:smile:

I practically wrote the same as you ahah :smile:
Original post by Raven Gallop
I practically wrote the same as you ahah :smile:

Oh wow, what a co-incidence. :wink: I am happy that someone else has written the same as me.:smile:
Oh wow, what a co-incidence. :wink: I am happy that someone else has written the same as me.:smile:

I think that's all relevant and good specific detail (contextual knowledge), however I think that 7b.) was supposed to be a more 'source-based' question. It was more about analysing the usefulness of source B in portraying life in Weimar Germany, not about explaining the situation in Weimar Germany from 1924-1929.
A bit of general advice for the paper two next week Tuesday; don't make the sources more complicated than they actually are, link what you can see in the source and provenance to what you know whilst consistently answering the question.
I think that's all relevant and good specific detail (contextual knowledge), however I think that 7b.) was supposed to be a more 'source-based' question. It was more about analysing the usefulness of source B in portraying life in Weimar Germany, not about explaining the situation in Weimar Germany from 1924-1929.
A bit of general advice for the paper two next week Tuesday; don't make the sources more complicated than they actually are, link what you can see in the source and provenance to what you know whilst consistently answering the question.

OMG really, I feel so bad now! How many marks do you think we'll get? Thanks for the advice.:smile:
Don't feel bad about it, it was a very easy mistake to make. I think if you explained it well enough and linked it back to the level of usefulness, you would get 3 or 4 marks out of a possible 6 marks depending on how lenient your examiner is.
I think I messed up the question on Eisenhower in the 1950s :frown: I was writing about how the USA were involved by funding French in Diem Biem Phu and then being involved in South Vietnam by setting up democratic governments to stop the spread of communism but reading all these answers I think I'm wrong :frown:
Wow I completely forgot to talk about the usefulness of the sources :frown: feel like I've messed the whole thing up after reading all of this :frown: :frown:
Original post by Gibbo1709
I think I messed up the question on Eisenhower in the 1950s :frown: I was writing about how the USA were involved by funding French in Diem Biem Phu and then being involved in South Vietnam by setting up democratic governments to stop the spread of communism but reading all these answers I think I'm wrong :frown:

The 3 main reasons you could have explained for 1b.) were:
1.) Containment Policy.
2.) Domino Theory.
3.) Weakness of the South Vietnamese (ARVN).
Also, mention the ways in which the USA became increasingly involved to show the escalation in involvement.
(eg. The number of 'military advisors' sent to Vietnam by the USA increased during the 1950's).
NOTE: I don't think you should have written about the Gulf of Tonkin because that was not in the 1950's and did not involve Eisenhower either.
The 3 main reasons you could have explained for 1b.) were:
1.) Containment Policy.
2.) Domino Theory.
3.) Weakness of the South Vietnamese (ARVN).
Also, mention the ways in which the USA became increasingly involved to show the escalation in involvement.
(eg. The number of 'military advisors' sent to Vietnam by the USA increased during the 1950's).
NOTE: I don't think you should have written about the Gulf of Tonkin because that was not in the 1950's and did not involve Eisenhower either.

Ok that's reassuring. I definitely wrote about South Vietnamese government and went into how America tried to make them democratic to stop the spread of communism (containment).
Vietnam was quite hard

i did cmc and first germany section
onto britain everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending