The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

For English language unit 1 section B is it only a story that can come up? Or can like a diary or something come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's a review, can you make up the book/film?
Original post by Ed_E
If it's a review, can you make up the book/film?

Yeah you can if you're really desperate for ideas but its better to have a director or author in mind because it's easier to write about and more convincing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 523
Isn't there more chance of it being an article than a review because the last time a review came up was 2014 whereas article was 2013?
Original post by bmagcse2016
Yeah you can if you're really desperate for ideas but its better to have a director or author in mind because it's easier to write about and more convincing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by bulbs
Isn't there more chance of it being an article than a review because the last time a review came up was 2014 whereas article was 2013?

Article but people were saying reports
Also, does anybody know what percentage the exams are? I've looked on the Internet, and it says that each exam is 20%, but thought my teacher said they were worth more.
how do you structure an article ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ed_E
Also, does anybody know what percentage the exams are? I've looked on the Internet, and it says that each exam is 20%, but thought my teacher said they were worth more.

I think 60% or 40% I'm not sure
Reply 529
If you need to know how to structure anything I recommend searching 'wjec the english teacher' on youtube. He does every structure for WJEC language
does anyone know a structure of article that will get me a good grade?
Original post by futuretulip7909
does anyone know a structure that will get me a good grade?

The english teacher on youtube :smile:
Reply 532
Original post by nisha.sri
I think 60% or 40% I'm not sure

The exam is 60% whereas the CA is 40%.
im sorry i couldnt find it, could someone possibly send the link through
Original post by bulbs
If you need to know how to structure anything I recommend searching 'wjec the english teacher' on youtube. He does every structure for WJEC language

Thanks so much i can watch this instead of mr bruff which focuses on AQA :u: :biggrin:
Original post by futuretulip7909
im sorry i couldnt find it, could someone possibly send the link through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEfkwDsm_TQ&list=PLWe3mwAmPUBf4fhvLTIJBQzTtX8o09K1I

Here you go :smile:
Hey how do you write a report ? What does it look like ?

Hi! So, I'm going to tell you this off the top of my head (for revision purposes!)

1)Firstly, and I've been told by my teacher this today: write in third person preferably! Whilst you are able to write in first person (sparingly), this is less formal. So, it's best to, if you're aiming for top grades, write in third person ("he, she")

2)Use subheadings! This will look MUCH more professional!

3) FOCUS ON ONE TOPIC!. For example, if the question was: 'Write a report on the facilities on offer in your area', perhaps choose to write about a Leisure centre, as opposed to every single facility within your area. Otherwise, this will take far too long to write!

4) Be to-the-point with your title. For example, for an example from the question above, simply write: 'A report on the facilities within ----"

5) Intro! Again, try and make this as concise as possible. An example for the above question could be: 'This report will highlight the facilities on offer in ---- Leisure Centre, how these are positively impacting the community, but also areas in which improvement could be made. In order to construct this, vast primary research has been conducted, which has then been compared to previous data from over the years.' (I just kinda made that up- not sure if it's good :biggrin:)

6) Main body (2 points would be best rather than 3 as far as I'm aware as it makes your writing much more concise!)

Point one: Subtitle first!; could literally be 'Range of facilities on offer in ----- Leisure Centre'

Undoubtedly, there is a plethora of activities on offer at the ---- Leisure Centre, ranging from table tennis, to novice karate classes. Within the multiple questionnaires undertaken, the most striking comment was "I made myself believe I was born talentless, until I stepped into ---- Leisure Centre." Another added "My partner told me I was useless at dancing, and now, when we go out with friends, I show him up with my 'Dirty Dancing'-like dance moves". This shows how formative the ---- Leisure Centre has been on numerous individuals' lives. This is promising to hear.

Point two: Potential improvements:

Not everyone is in agreeance with this. Whilst the range of activities is infinite, at --- Leisure Centre, a prominent identification in the questionnaires was the "extortionate prices in the cafe." Customers of the cafe have also mentioned how they are "dissatisfied with the quality of customer service", and how the staff are "insolent" and "disheveled- looking". This is dissimilar to last year's comments, which in fact prided the friendly manner of the cafe's staff. Perhaps the Leisure Centre should invest in some staff training, to rejuvenate this imperfection, and get it back to last year's standard! It's only minor; these are, however, minorities which make all the difference.

Conclusion:
Overall, there is certainly an abundance of formative activities on offer at the --- Leisure Centre". This simply cannot be faulted. However, lingering in the background are some slight imperfections, whilst although may not appear grave, are actually dragging down the quality of the Centre from what it formerly was. It has been suggested that on-the-job training should be executed to improve the poorer levels of customer service that have unfolded this year. Being on-the-job will ensure that the training does not drag down the profits of the cafe(since off-the-job is far dearer), and thus can only improve things for ----Leisure Centre. Optimistically, this will bring what's known to the community as "The ---- talent-provider" back to its impeccable standard.

I hope this's helped. Also, please may someone comment on my above report. I kind of got carried away writing this, sorry, haha! :biggrin:
Okay, my English department at my school is utterly awful and changing completely next year so... I haven't had a teacher through my coursework therefore got a D, my mockingbird work was an A, my last mocks were B on reading and A* on writing, hopefully going for an A in reading this time. Does anybody have the slightest clue of what those grads would average out at, there are no qualified English staff left now...
Original post by SophFlorence
Hi! So, I'm going to tell you this off the top of my head (for revision purposes!)

1)Firstly, and I've been told by my teacher this today: write in third person preferably! Whilst you are able to write in first person (sparingly), this is less formal. So, it's best to, if you're aiming for top grades, write in third person ("he, she":wink:

2)Use subheadings! This will look MUCH more professional!

3) FOCUS ON ONE TOPIC!. For example, if the question was: 'Write a report on the facilities on offer in your area', perhaps choose to write about a Leisure centre, as opposed to every single facility within your area. Otherwise, this will take far too long to write!

4) Be to-the-point with your title. For example, for an example from the question above, simply write: 'A report on the facilities within ----"

5) Intro! Again, try and make this as concise as possible. An example for the above question could be: 'This report will highlight the facilities on offer in ---- Leisure Centre, how these are positively impacting the community, but also areas in which improvement could be made. In order to construct this, vast primary research has been conducted, which has then been compared to previous data from over the years.' (I just kinda made that up- not sure if it's good :biggrin:)

6) Main body (2 points would be best rather than 3 as far as I'm aware as it makes your writing much more concise!)

Point one: Subtitle first!; could literally be 'Range of facilities on offer in ----- Leisure Centre'

Undoubtedly, there is a plethora of activities on offer at the ---- Leisure Centre, ranging from table tennis, to novice karate classes. Within the multiple questionnaires undertaken, the most striking comment was "I made myself believe I was born talentless, until I stepped into ---- Leisure Centre." Another added "My partner told me I was useless at dancing, and now, when we go out with friends, I show him up with my 'Dirty Dancing'-like dance moves". This shows how formative the ---- Leisure Centre has been on numerous individuals' lives. This is promising to hear.

Point two: Potential improvements:

Not everyone is in agreeance with this. Whilst the range of activities is infinite, at --- Leisure Centre, a prominent identification in the questionnaires was the "extortionate prices in the cafe." Customers of the cafe have also mentioned how they are "dissatisfied with the quality of customer service", and how the staff are "insolent" and "disheveled- looking". This is dissimilar to last year's comments, which in fact prided the friendly manner of the cafe's staff. Perhaps the Leisure Centre should invest in some staff training, to rejuvenate this imperfection, and get it back to last year's standard! It's only minor; these are, however, minorities which make all the difference.

Conclusion:
Overall, there is certainly an abundance of formative activities on offer at the --- Leisure Centre". This simply cannot be faulted. However, lingering in the background are some slight imperfections, whilst although may not appear grave, are actually dragging down the quality of the Centre from what it formerly was. It has been suggested that on-the-job training should be executed to improve the poorer levels of customer service that have unfolded this year. Being on-the-job will ensure that the training does not drag down the profits of the cafe(since off-the-job is far dearer), and thus can only improve things for ----Leisure Centre. Optimistically, this will bring what's known to the community as "The ---- talent-provider" back to its impeccable standard.

I hope this's helped. Also, please may someone comment on my above report. I kind of got carried away writing this, sorry, haha! :biggrin:

OMG !! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS HELP!! You are an angel x
So for subheadings what type of phrases do you have to mention? Can you state - Solutions,Data collections ?
OMG !! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS HELP!! You are an angel x
So for subheadings what type of phrases do you have to mention? Can you state - Solutions,Data collections ?

That,s ok! That's my revision done for the night pretty much, so it's helped me a lot too! Yeah, you could. It really depends how you structure your report. You don't necessarily have to create separate paragraphs for data collection. I personally find it easier to include it within the other paragraphs!

Quick Reply

Latest