The Student Room Group

Are my chances ruined? I'm in a bit of a pickle

So I took the Ocr c1 exam the other day and I'm in year 11. I think I just scraped an A meaning about 80 ums. The thing is, I changed my mind about medicine and kinda wanna do it now but apparently you can't do it if you do a levels early. And 80 ums is kinda low. Do I have to retake it in year 12 and if I do, will it ruin my chances of Cambridge or another good university? Is there any way I can hide retakes? Pretty devasted tbh, any help would be really appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's not that you can't do a levels early, it's more that it doesn't gain extra recognition! 80 ums isn't low, especially when you have C2 and another exam for maths (I assume that's how your exam board works too) that can bring it above 80% average. I wouldn't worry about it too much at all, if you really feel you need to retake there's not a problem with that! Just wait until August to decide. You can't, however, hide retakes and I think some universities don't even accept them. Unless you don't get an A (no matter what the ums score is) I'd say don't bother with retakes :smile:
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Do you think I shoukd retake it even if I get an A because ive heard that average maths ums for Cambridge is like 98%
Don't do Medicine at Cambridge anyway, you're better off at a more clinically-based Uni.
Original post by TheDescendant
Do you think I shoukd retake it even if I get an A because ive heard that average maths ums for Cambridge is like 98%

Probably yeah. Average for all subjects is closer to 95. Having 92 or greater would put you in a very reasonable position.

You're not supposed to take a-levels over more than 3 years for medicine, so this probably will be significantly detrimental to you yes. I think you will need to contact individual unis so see what their position on this would be. Don't retake until you know their answers to this.

Never take a-levels early.
If you do an Alevel early does it still count? I'm just wondering because I did one a few years ago and different people have been telling me completely different things.
Original post by niv1234
If you do an Alevel early does it still count? I'm just wondering because I did one a few years ago and different people have been telling me completely different things.

That a-level won't count towards any offers you get. You will still need AAA from a-levels you sit in year 12 and 13.
Original post by ForestCat
That a-level won't count towards any offers you get. You will still need AAA from a-levels you sit in year 12 and 13.

Oh ok thank you. Does that mean I can't use it for anything?
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok thank you. Does that mean I can't use it for anything?

I'm not too sure. Most other subjects will probably recognise any grades obtained, its just medicine that is picky about timing of a-levels. But as @nexttime so rightly says, its not a good idea to take subjects early.
Original post by nexttime
Probably yeah. Average for all subjects is closer to 95. Having 92 or greater would put you in a very reasonable position.

You're not supposed to take a-levels over more than 3 years for medicine, so this probably will be significantly detrimental to you yes. I think you will need to contact individual unis so see what their position on this would be. Don't retake until you know their answers to this.

Never take a-levels early.

unless its a language which by all means you definitely should! universities will give exemptions for taking A-levels over three years if the subject isn't directly related to the course e.g taking chemistry, physics, biology or math probably isnt the best option but doing a language or something like politics should be ok!
Original post by connormc199
unless its a language which by all means you definitely should! universities will give exemptions for taking A-levels over three years if the subject isn't directly related to the course e.g taking chemistry, physics, biology or math probably isnt the best option but doing a language or something like politics should be ok!

Thats not true for medicine. You can take subjects earlier, by all means, by they won't count towards the AAA offer for medicine. Nor will any extra credit be given for them.
Thats not true for medicine. You can take subjects earlier, by all means, by they won't count towards the AAA offer for medicine. Nor will any extra credit be given for them.

my eldest brother got rejected because he had three years of A-levels but it may vary per uni!:tongue:
my eldest brother got rejected because he had three years of A-levels but it may vary per uni!:tongue:

The majority don't accept a-levels over more than 2 years (except with exceptional circumstances).

But doing subjects early is completely the same as not the same as resitting a year. Taking a full a-level early, or not in the same two year time frame as your other subjects, won't mean rejection. That subject just won't count. Taking three years (because you've resat a year/ a couple of subjects) to get your grades can result in instant rejection.
The majority don't accept a-levels over more than 2 years (except with exceptional circumstances).

But doing subjects early is completely the same as not the same as resitting a year. Taking a full a-level early, or not in the same two year time frame as your other subjects, won't mean rejection. That subject just won't count. Taking three years (because you've resat a year/ a couple of subjects) to get your grades can result in instant rejection.

ah well im not doing/applying for medicine so this doesn't affect me:biggrin: but i did AS French when i was in 4th year so i hope this doesnt have a knock on effect on me now
ah well im not doing/applying for medicine so this doesn't affect me:biggrin: but i did AS French when i was in 4th year so i hope this doesnt have a knock on effect on me now

I wouldn't imagine so. As far as I know, its only really medicine that is fussy about this.
Thanks for all the advice.
So do i have to retake c1 in year 12 to apply for medicine?
Thanks for all the advice.
So do i have to retake c1 in year 12 to apply for medicine?

Technically you may get away with it because it won't be certificated and won't count as being doing over three years. But this isn't always clear. Check with medical schools whether they will accept maths if you carry on with it during the next two years.

What other subjects are you taking for a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths FM chemistry physics bio
(Don't judge lol)
Maths FM chemistry physics bio
(Don't judge lol)

If you want to do medicine there is no point in doing further maths. Medicine admissions tend not to credit further maths as separate to maths and so it can't count towards any offer you get.

Why five? Nowhere, except Barts, credits for extra a levels. You don't want to overburden yourself, AABBa won't get you into medical school, AAA will. Especially in the light of the new linear a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing is, I also want to do engineering or something maths related, which is why I don't want to drop FM. I know 5 is keening out, but my school makes us initially take 5 and then we usually drop one at a level. I need to decide between medicine and engineering soon, don't I 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending