The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Has everyone started revising? What is the best way to get an A in this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevellife123
Has everyone started revising? What is the best way to get an A in this exam?

Hi! I moved this into the computing forum for you - you're more likely to get an answer here :h:
Original post by Fox Corner
Hi! I moved this into the computing forum for you - you're more likely to get an answer here :h:

Thank you so much!
The best way, the only way to do well in the exam is to learn the mark schemes WORD FOR WORD. The same questions repeatedly come up. I cannot emphasise the importance of learning each and every mark scheme enough.

There is a lot of pointless stuff you will never need in the textbook written by WJEC themselves.
Everything you need to know will be on the past mark schemes.
Unfortunately, ICT is an extremely flawed qualification and the exam is no more than a memory test. Repeatedly, the principal examiner has moaned and moaned on the exam reports about how people's 'general knowledge' of ICT simply is not good enough.

Best of luck!

By the way, if you are looking for any papers, I have all of them on my site at http://jacktilson.uk/edu/ict
(edited 7 years ago)
hey if i got a B in my coursework 69/80 what I need in the exam to get an A
Original post by Benteke1268
hey if i got a B in my coursework 69/80 what I need in the exam to get an A

69 RAW marks is 57UMS

There is a total of 80UMS available for the coursework, with 120UMS for the exam.
Now, the exam grade boundaries will vary from year to year, but a good benchmark would be June 2014.

For an A grade overall, you need 160UMS.

So, With your current 57UMS:

160-57 = 103UMS

So, you need 103 UMS more to secure an A overall.

Taking June 2014 as a benchmark: You'd need 67 out of 80 marks in the exam (RAW)
Taking June 2015 as a benchmark: You'd need 62 out of 80 marks in the exam (RAW)

as you can see, it does vary from year to year. But to be safe and guarantee the A, you would want to be getting at least 68 marks out of 80 in the past papers.
Original post by PedanticStudent
The best way, the only way to do well in the exam is to learn the mark schemes WORD FOR WORD. The same questions repeatedly come up. I cannot emphasise the importance of learning each and every mark scheme enough.

There is a lot of pointless stuff you will never need in the textbook written by WJEC themselves.
Everything you need to know will be on the past mark schemes.
Unfortunately, ICT is an extremely flawed qualification and the exam is no more than a memory test. Repeatedly, the principal examiner has moaned and moaned on the exam reports about how people's 'general knowledge' of ICT simply is not good enough.

Best of luck!

By the way, if you are looking for any papers, I have all of them on my site at http://jacktilson.uk/edu/ict

Thank you so much!
69 RAW marks is 57UMS

There is a total of 80UMS available for the coursework, with 120UMS for the exam.
Now, the exam grade boundaries will vary from year to year, but a good benchmark would be June 2014.

For an A grade overall, you need 160UMS.

So, With your current 57UMS:

160-57 = 103UMS

So, you need 103 UMS more to secure an A overall.

Taking June 2014 as a benchmark: You'd need 67 out of 80 marks in the exam (RAW)
Taking June 2015 as a benchmark: You'd need 62 out of 80 marks in the exam (RAW)

as you can see, it does vary from year to year. But to be safe and guarantee the A, you would want to be getting at least 68 marks out of 80 in the past papers.

Hey I got 80/80 in my coursework what would i need to get in the exam to get an A? (raw mark)
Original post by alevellife123
Hey I got 80/80 in my coursework what would i need to get in the exam to get an A? (raw mark)

You'd be looking at 55 RAW marks approx, this would be the most likely sort of mark. However it does vary depending on the difficulty of the exam in comparison with prior papers therefore to guarantee the A for the whole ICT AS, you'd need 60/80 RAW.

Luckily for people like you and I, who have 80UMS in the coursework, the risk is less.
(edited 7 years ago)
You'd be looking at 55 RAW marks approx, this would be the most likely sort of mark. However it does vary depending on the difficulty of the exam in comparison with prior papers therefore to guarantee the A for the whole ICT AS, you'd need 60/80 RAW.

Luckily for people like you and I, who have 80UMS in the coursework, the risk is less.

Thank you! It is not too bad, the only problem is the longer answer questions which are quite hard
Reply 10
hi guys I have 78/80 in my cw .. how much do I need in the exam to get A overall
Original post by AA923
hi guys I have 78/80 in my cw .. how much do I need in the exam to get A overall

Around 60 or so
Reply 12
Anyone predicted what questions would come up this year?
Original post by Rawr97
Anyone predicted what questions would come up this year?

I can put hand on heart and say 18 marks for ICT in Education (8 marks for the uses of ICT in education, 10 marks for the methodologies of registration)

I'd anticipate CAD/CAM to be there, as well as features of DTP/word processing or presentation software.

Electronic sources of information has not appeared since 2011.

Data, info and knowledge is likely to be there, certainly wouldn't expect HCIs again. However, the examiner seems to be slipping in little new questions worth three marks over the last few papers (ads/disads of CAD in summer 2014), (loyalty cards in jan 2014).

This year, WJEC seem to be putting a 'spin' as it were, on all the exams. For this reason, maybe something new will appear. There's really no telling what it will be. factors to consider when designing HCIs was in the SAMS, never came up, as was the different names of fields in a database (10 marks on the SAMS, never came up)

With this said, we really do not know, though as the examiner does tend to be copying and pasting questions from paper to paper, I doubt much will change. The specification is retiring in 2019 and is being replaced by computer science so its unlikely that he will be bothered to make any major changes for the last year of IT1 (there is the resit paper in 2017 of course, lets hope none of us need it.)

Good luck for Monday everyone! Remember to learn your mark schemes. It's the only way to do well in this exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can put hand on heart and say 18 marks for ICT in Education (8 marks for the uses of ICT in education, 10 marks for the methodologies of registration)

I'd anticipate CAD/CAM to be there, as well as features of DTP/word processing or presentation software.

Electronic sources of information has not appeared since 2011.

Data, info and knowledge is likely to be there, certainly wouldn't expect HCIs again. However, the examiner seems to be slipping in little new questions worth three marks over the last few papers (ads/disads of CAD in summer 2014), (loyalty cards in jan 2014).

This year, WJEC seem to be putting a 'spin' as it were, on all the exams. For this reason, maybe something new will appear. There's really no telling what it will be. factors to consider when designing HCIs was in the SAMS, never came up, as was the different names of fields in a database (10 marks on the SAMS, never came up)

With this said, we really do not know, though as the examiner is severely lazy, copying and pasting questions from paper to paper, I doubt much will change. The specification is retiring next year and is being replaced by computer science so its unlikely that he will be bothered to make any major changes for the last year of IT1 (there is the resit paper in 2017 of course, lets hope none of us need it.)

Good luck for Monday everyone! Remember to learn your mark schemes. It's the only way to do well in this exam.

What is SAMS
Original post by lemonandlime1
What is SAMS

Specimen Assessment Material(s)

It's the specimen paper (a sample exam paper used for practice when the specification was brought into teaching in 2008)
Reply 16
I have attached past papers from 2006 to 2008 if anyone requires them or are experiencing trouble finding them. Despite them being from the older course, they are still of some use as there are questions which are also in the current specifications which they have not yet asked in the 2009-2015 series of exam papers.
Original post by Rawr97
I have attached past papers from 2006 to 2008 if anyone requires them or are experiencing trouble finding them. Despite them being from the older course, they are still of some use as there are questions which are also in the current specifications which they have not yet asked in the 2009-2015 series of exam papers.

An excellent theory document. Thank you for the papers also.
Original post by Rawr97

Would you happen to have the markscheme for January 2009 (new AS)?
Reply 19
An excellent theory document. Thank you for the papers also.

The theory document was something I created last year, I fixed it now though to be in the actual order of the specification. Thus I apologize as there may be some typos. Plus, I've just discovered that I forgotten to delete page 8 about feedback, input and output, :h: it really shouldn't be there lol sorry about that.

And the old pastpapers:
You're welcome; I've also attached the mark scheme now too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending