The Student Room Group

{AQA} GCSE Geography A, Human paper predictions?

The exam is really soon and I still haven't finished all my revision!!
The topics I'm doing are 'Population Change, Changing Urban Environments and Tourism'.
Predictions -
Population Change: DTM and population pyramids, non birth control policy, ageing population and/or asylum seeking migration.

Changing Urban Environments: Traffic congestion problems/solutions, land use (CBD, inner city, etc) and a sustainable urban living environment (BedZED)

Tourism: Case study on extreme environments (Alaska/Antarctica), Butler tourist resort model (Exploration, development, etc) and perhaps positives + negatives of mass tourism?

What do you guys think?? :s-smilie:
What are the possible case studies which may come up for urbanization ? Sustainable environment (Bedzed), Favello Bairo programme , problems in a developing country and ...?
Original post by George2110
What are the possible case studies which may come up for urbanization ? Sustainable environment (Bedzed), Favello Bairo programme , problems in a developing country and ...?

For issues with housing specifically and solutions to make it sustainable, my case study was Hulme Crescents, Manchester. Also, stuff about London Docklands might apply as a case study.
Original post by Perfection Ace
For issues with housing specifically and solutions to make it sustainable, my case study was Hulme Crescents, Manchester. Also, stuff about London Docklands might apply as a case study.

Is the London docklands case study about revitalising the image of a CBD in a MEDC?
im also doing the same three topics. I was maybe thinking that population pyramids are more likely to come up then dtm as this comes up often i also feel that migration will come up from poland to uk?
Ps can you explain the asylum seeking migration and the eco toursim case study ?
thank you
Is the London docklands case study about revitalising the image of a CBD in a MEDC?

Pretty much. Redevelopment/gentrification of the Docklands which splits up into Environmental (Ecology park, bird sanctuary), Social (Pedestrian/cycle routes, restaurants/shopping centers built) and economic (new jobs; banking, journalism and new transport; railway, city airport) regeneration.

Original post by j.bolding2
im also doing the same three topics. I was maybe thinking that population pyramids are more likely to come up then dtm as this comes up often i also feel that migration will come up from poland to uk?
Ps can you explain the asylum seeking migration and the eco toursim case study ?
thank you

Yeah most probably so!
The case study I used for asylum seeking was Africa (Libya) to Europe (Italy). Push factors included persecution, famine, civil war. Pull factors included jobs, better life style, education, better life expectancy, more space and etc.

Advantages to LIBYA were that money could be sent home and the families could use that money on resources, the emigrants could come back to their home country educated and with a qualification etc. They also escaped persecution and can now have a better life. Disadvantages to LIBYA were that the families had to break up. This meant that the emigrant had to be replaced by another member and therefore they have to work harder and inevitably become stressed + strained. The Libyan workforce also decreased which meant less tax and therefore less money going towards infrastructures such as schools + hospitals.

Advantages to ITALY included: the Libyan immigrants were desperate for any jobs; therefore, they would do the undesirable jobs that the current population don't want to do. The Libyans also brought a sense of multiculturalism as they could start businesses such as food stores. However, disadvantages towards ITALY there would be social tension due to racism and the locals would get upset. Also, the immigrants are not aware of the laws so they would commit crimes such as robbery. This inevitably puts off tourism and therefore the tourism industry would suffer meaning less tax going towards the economy. Most of the immigrants were also homeless in Italy which means there would be certain areas of cities which would be filled with homeless people.

I actually haven't revised eco-tourism, but once I've finished Urbanisation, I'll come back to you. Hope this helped bro!
Original post by Perfection Ace
Pretty much. Redevelopment/gentrification of the Docklands which splits up into Environmental (Ecology park, bird sanctuary), Social (Pedestrian/cycle routes, restaurants/shopping centers built) and economic (new jobs; banking, journalism and new transport; railway, city airport) regeneration.

Yeah most probably so!
The case study I used for asylum seeking was Africa (Libya) to Europe (Italy). Push factors included persecution, famine, civil war. Pull factors included jobs, better life style, education, better life expectancy, more space and etc.

Advantages to LIBYA were that money could be sent home and the families could use that money on resources, the emigrants could come back to their home country educated and with a qualification etc. They also escaped persecution and can now have a better life. Disadvantages to LIBYA were that the families had to break up. This meant that the emigrant had to be replaced by another member and therefore they have to work harder and inevitably become stressed + strained. The Libyan workforce also decreased which meant less tax and therefore less money going towards infrastructures such as schools + hospitals.

Advantages to ITALY included: the Libyan immigrants were desperate for any jobs; therefore, they would do the undesirable jobs that the current population don't want to do. The Libyans also brought a sense of multiculturalism as they could start businesses such as food stores. However, disadvantages towards ITALY there would be social tension due to racism and the locals would get upset. Also, the immigrants are not aware of the laws so they would commit crimes such as robbery. This inevitably puts off tourism and therefore the tourism industry would suffer meaning less tax going towards the economy. Most of were also homeless in Italy which means there would be certain areas of cities which would be filled with homeless people.

I actually haven't revised eco-tourism, but once I've finished Urbanisation, I'll come back to you. Hope this helped bro!

Regeneration of a MEDC CBD is most likely to come up as it hasn't come up for a few years. in my school we done Birminghams CBD.
The only tourism case study that hasn't been used is mass tourism one..
How do you revise Population PYRAMIDS?
Original post by Blancosdos
How do you revise Population PYRAMIDS?

They will most likely ask you to label them, so remember labels like high B/r etc for each one and remember the shape of each one _(Convex, concave)
They will most likely ask you to label them, so remember labels like high B/r etc for each one and remember the shape of each one _(Convex, concave)

idk any (only thing i find difficult).Could you explain?Thanks
Reply 11
I think that there will be a lot on the Butler Model
yeh I think population pyramids will come up! mayb mass tourism and butler model :frown: urgh I hope it is okay and the grade boundaries arent too high

Quick Reply