The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wisteria_xo
On a question it asked how the reduced elasticity of the lungs causes breathing difficulties, and one of the marking points was that lungs cannot fully inflate (reduced lung capacity)- which I understand.
However the other marking but was that breathing out would no longer be passive? Which i don't understand at all

I think what this means is that normally we don't use forced expiration: our intercostal muscles do not normally contract during expiration. This is because the elasticity of the alveoli is enough to push the air out: the alveloi sort of recoil. However, reduced elasticity renders this mechanism ineffective and so we need to rely on forced expiriation which means expiration is no longer passive
Original post by Eden_
could someone explain the process of hybridisation please???

It's not part of the AS content as to the specification although we did learn it in class.
Original post by Eden_
could someone explain the process of hybridisation please???

Hybridisation is what we use to determine the degree of 'relatedness' between two organisms. The first step is to obtain DNA from the two organisms. We then break the hydrogen bonds and separate the DNA strands by heating. We then allow the separated DNA strands to mix. Hybrid DNA forms which contains strand of DNA from one organism and a strand of DNA from the other. We now attempt to separate these two strands via heating. The higher the temperature required to separate the strand, the more closely related the two organisms are as their must be more Hydrogen bonds so there must be more complementary base pairs and so the base sequences of dna must be more similar
Reply 563
Original post by Lola1244
Hybridisation is what we use to determine the degree of 'relatedness' between two organisms. The first step is to obtain DNA from the two organisms. We then break the hydrogen bonds and separate the DNA strands by heating. We then allow the separated DNA strands to mix. Hybrid DNA forms which contains strand of DNA from one organism and a strand of DNA from the other. We now attempt to separate these two strands via heating. The higher the temperature required to separate the strand, the more closely related the two organisms are as their must be more Hydrogen bonds so there must be more complementary base pairs and so the base sequences of dna must be more similar

Thank you so much!!!😃
How can Biologists use protein structure to investigate the relationship between differentspecies?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LightsOut.
How can Biologists use protein structure to investigate the relationship between differentspecies?

Look at sequence of amino acid - primary structure, in same protein . The more similar the sequence , the closer the relationship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I correcting in thinking the first paper was only on the first 2 units (even though AQA said the papers would be mixed) and so paper 2 will be on Unit 3 and 4?
Original post by Lemauricien
Look at sequence of amino acid - primary structure, in same protein . The more similar the sequence , the closer the relationship

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers.:smile:
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Am I correcting in thinking the first paper was only on the first 2 units (even though AQA said the papers would be mixed) and so paper 2 will be on Unit 3 and 4?

You Only Learn Units 1 and 2 In Aqa As Biology.
Original post by Oddwatermelon

The paper seemed to be almost solely on Unit 1 and 2, but that's purely a coincidence. But, that does mean that there is a high chance that this paper tomorrow will contain mostly Unit 3 and 4 content.
(Saying that, it's hard to tell as AQA are very unpredictable, they may surprise us with even more enzymes).
Original post by Lola1244
I think what this means is that normally we don't use forced expiration: our intercostal muscles do not normally contract during expiration. This is because the elasticity of the alveoli is enough to push the air out: the alveloi sort of recoil. However, reduced elasticity renders this mechanism ineffective and so we need to rely on forced expiriation which means expiration is no longer passive

Helped so much thank you :smile:
Original post by Productivity
The paper seemed to be almost solely on Unit 1 and 2, but that's purely a coincidence. But, that does mean that there is a high chance that this paper tomorrow will contain mostly Unit 3 and 4 content.
(Saying that, it's hard to tell as AQA are very unpredictable, they may surprise us with even more enzymes).

Wait... I seem to be missing something. What is in Unit 3 and 4? Is it not A2 content?
Original post by LightsOut.
Wait... I seem to be missing something. What is in Unit 3 and 4? Is it not A2 content?

The AS content is split up into 4 units on the specification.
1. Biological molecules.
2. Cells.
3. Organisms exchange substances with their environment.
4. Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms.

We weren't talking about the exam papers which are also named Unit 1-4, in case that is where the confusion lies:tongue:.
predictions what's likely to come up tomorrow? and how prepared you feeling, I'm kinda nervous
Anyone simple can explain translocation?
Does anyone know the key points of how tissue fluid is formed?
Original post by _naomi0511
Does anyone know the key points of how tissue fluid is formed?

1. High hydrostatic pressure at the arteriole end of the capillary bed causes fluid and small molecules to be pushed out of the capillary into the surrounding tissue, (as the pressure is lower there)

2. Plasma proteins are too large and are therefore not pushed through the capillary and remain inside it. These are soluble and therefore lower the water potential.

3. Some water will therefore move back into the capillary via osmosis

Also as a side note it is good to know that any excess tissue fluid is drained by the lymphatic system
Original post by JakeRStudent
1. High hydrostatic pressure at the arteriole end of the capillary bed causes fluid and small molecules to be pushed out of the capillary into the surrounding tissue, (as the pressure is lower there)

2. Plasma proteins are too large and are therefore not pushed through the capillary and remain inside it. These are soluble and therefore lower the water potential.

3. Some water will therefore move back into the capillary via osmosis

Also as a side note it is good to know that any excess tissue fluid is drained by the lymphatic system

Thank you so much!
Reply 578
Original post by Whatevenemily
What ****ed me over in the specimen papers we've had for the new specification was how strict the mark scheme was! I literally know the majority of the content but I just don't write answers in the way they want me to 😡 It's so annoying. I've basically just accepted that I'm getting a U in these exams no matter what the paper or the grade boundaries are🙄

I literally feel the exact same way. I had a mini breakdown today because no matter what I do I can't seem to get the wording correct, and have ended up with a U on ALL my practice papers this year.
We did a mock in school a few weeks ago, which was one of the specimen papers that aren't disclosed to the students so I can't find the answers anywhere.

Just realised I didn't mark one of the questions properly. Please help :redface:

Q) In a eukaryotic cell, transcription results in a molecule of pre-mRNA that is modified to produce mRNA. In a prokaryotic cell transcription produces mRNA directly. Explain this difference.

I know that it's to do with the complexity of eukaryotic cells but don't know exactly what the answer should have.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending