The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Can anyone tell me what sort of mental health issues qualify for extenuating circumstances for A levels? Been suffering from insomnia, lack of concentration, decreased memory, intrusive thoughts of my past and generally struggling for about 4 months now. My performance is not affected severely but I am not performing at my best. I don't really want to abuse the system because I'm sure there are people out there who are worse off but idk I wouldn't want to be graded at my bad state either? Thanks

You have to remember it's how you're affected, rather than the type of mental health problem you have. Have you talked to your tutor / the exam officer at 6th form about this?
Original post by ScaryScience
In a really lonely, scary and dark place right now :/

You may feel lonely but I'm also in my own lonely, scary and dark place so you're not in fact alone :smile: :hugs: I hope things go upwards for you.
Original post by moment of truth
For those of you who have had bad/terrible experiences with therapy, can I ask why this is? Is it just to do with the therapist not truly understanding your issues? Did you not have a good relationship with your therapist or something different?

Thank you :h:

I've seen various councillors, although not for some time now, and not found any of them helpful. The first two didn't understand my issues, with the third I found I was resenting having to recount bad past experiences when I just wanted to move on and the fourth firstly expected me to have something new to say every week and got angry with me when I didn't and wanted to talk about something else not the reason I went to her.
Original post by Airmed
For my A Levels extenuating circumstances were put in for my mental health issues, but tbh, I don't know if it made that much of a difference. For the record, at the time I had a diagnosis of one personality disorder and chronic depression, with a letter from my psychiatrist. I was also on a lot of medication changes.

Thanks for the reply! I've not got a psychiatrist or meds so I better check with exam officer I guess

Sending you lots of hugs, you have all of us on here, you aren't alone.
Thank you :smile: It is indeed very vague (and wtf is that font, it hurts my eyes!) and no mention of mental issues apart from that anxiety thing :frown: I don't have any diagnosis and therefore no medication but I am working with a clinical psychologist (I didn't go through a GP) who says I'm suffering from anxiety. I'm not sure if they count for doctor's note and all that. I might talk to my exam officer later this week. I hope things are going alright for you.

Ah fair enough. Well, whatever happens, I hope it goes well for you!

Are you in Year 13?

Yeah things aren't too bad thanks, all I'm really doing at the moment is revising :rolleyes: but thankfully I'm not finding it too bad. 2 exams down, 8 to go!
Original post by Tiger Rag
You have to remember it's how you're affected, rather than the type of mental health problem you have. Have you talked to your tutor / the exam officer at 6th form about this?

Thanks for the reply. I've talked to my tutor and a staff in charge of child protection roughly about my problem, and the head of Year is vaguely aware of my issue (very vaguely, so he just believes it's just exam pressure, but oh well, I'd rather not have to explain about my past), and I was referred to a clinical psychologist. I've not talked to the exam officer yet though.
Ah fair enough. Well, whatever happens, I hope it goes well for you!

Are you in Year 13?

Yeah things aren't too bad thanks, all I'm really doing at the moment is revising :rolleyes: but thankfully I'm not finding it too bad. 2 exams down, 8 to go!

Thanks, good luck with your exams too. I am guessing you're doing 4 A levels too? I've got 2 down with 9 more to go!
And yes I'm year 13
Original post by FireFreezer77
I'm sorry to hear that your insomnia kept you awake! :hugs:
That was the right thing to do! Stay at home and not risk having problems in college.

I'm guessing they don't know about your insomnia?
Maybe try and explain some of the difficulties you've been having?
Or just tell people that you were catching up on work or revision.
Apologies for my advice not being very useful but I like to try and help out!

I can confirm one thing! You're absolutely not lazy and pathetic! The people who say that need to get a life!

It sucks because i try and do everything, and then i get so exhausted.... And then i can't sleep. Like i worked 6/9 days out of half term, and on one of my days off i still had to get up early and get on a train to go and see my friend that moved away. And people say I'm lazy... :hide: I try and explain the issues i have, yet whenever i attempt to explain them i just basically get shot down, and people say that other people have worse issues and i just need to get on with it. :sigh:
Heart hurts lol
Had such a good couple of weeks. Seeing friends, enjoying work and just generally looking after myself better. Can feel myself starting to slide again though, trying to keep myself busy. The counsellor I've started to see works in such an odd way. Don't really get on well with her but I just think she pushes me to talk and I don't like it :dontknow:

I've been so excited to volunteer at this local science festival and the briefing is tomorrow and I don't even want to go now. :facepalm:
Original post by Midnightmemories
It sucks because i try and do everything, and then i get so exhausted.... And then i can't sleep. Like i worked 6/9 days out of half term, and on one of my days off i still had to get up early and get on a train to go and see my friend that moved away. And people say I'm lazy... :hide: I try and explain the issues i have, yet whenever i attempt to explain them i just basically get shot down, and people say that other people have worse issues and i just need to get on with it. :sigh:

I don't blame you for doing that. I can see how it sucks!
Yeah you're defo very active indeed!
Ignore those people that say you're lazy, because you're not! You're very active and are always doing something! They have no right to call you lazy at all!
Some people are so ignorant when it comes to these things!
I've had people say that to me too, it's really horrible to hear because you know how much you're suffering and yet they couldn't care less about it. If only they could experience what you're going through. I bet they wouldn't say these things then!
But just try and do your best to ignore them and get on and do your own thing!

I'm always here if you want to chat about anything :hugs:
That's me again ^^^ @Midnightmemories
Original post by jelly1000
I've seen various councillors, although not for some time now, and not found any of them helpful. The first two didn't understand my issues, with the third I found I was resenting having to recount bad past experiences when I just wanted to move on and the fourth firstly expected me to have something new to say every week and got angry with me when I didn't and wanted to talk about something else not the reason I went to her.

Sorry to hear about your experience! I don't understand why they can't allow the client to decide what the session should be like. I had one session with my therapist where I didn't really have anything to say, but other than that we always found something interesting and helpful to talk about.

I'm guessing you have had enough of counsellors and you don't feel like going again now?
Reply 794
Damn it went anon again :/

This thread has auto anon. Pm me and j shall try find the script for you to do to take it off if you understand computers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795

Massive hugz hun. Im always around if you need a chat, just message me ok chick. Hope things pick up soon, i have faith they will :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moment of truth
Sorry to hear about your experience! I don't understand why they can't allow the client to decide what the session should be like. I had one session with my therapist where I didn't really have anything to say, but other than that we always found something interesting and helpful to talk about.

I'm guessing you have had enough of counsellors and you don't feel like going again now?

Indeed.
Ok I want some opinions here, for past few weeks have been feeling a little different so much so I hardly ever have tv on, in some ways better in other ways worse.

Or I could say what I feel is like a reasonable (so not good or bad) evening

Without the tv on I am less distracted but I am also less stimulated/fulfilled as part of why I feel so bad is I do nothing and so in a room with silence and just a pc on is numbing but also makes me concentrate on it more.

Not sure what to think so advice welcome.
Feeling down pretty much all the time. Feel like there's no chance of me passing this year- and every time I start to worry about it, I get at least half an hour of increased heart rate and shaking :/ had a good laugh with my friend this evening though, for the first time in what feels like ages
I dont know why that was anonymous ^^^
That was me who posted that

I was supposed to be going for the group meeting but it was during one of my lectures and I can't take time out.

Also I'm not comfortable meeting others in a group, I'm still in denial about having panic attacks (I only have the physical symptoms) and I'm not ready to speak out about stuff yet.

It's weird, I don't have anxious thoughts, I'm the most chilled out person you'd ever see yet I have chest pain and breathlessness and dizziness out of the blue. I don't even know what brings them on, which makes it worse.

Latest