The Student Room Group

AQA AS GOVP1 Question Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Warriner4
Thank you so much haha, I am a young Labour member - sorry to all those Tories out there haha- but I hope to become involved in politics somehow

I have work experience with an Mp- in westminster for a day on Wedsneday- day of PMQS so Happy!! haha

I am also gaining a placement with a campaign manager for the Eu refernsdum

Previous work placement was a week in my local council

That's pretty good man. Based on that I'd say PPE would be great for you
Original post by Warriner4
Oh okay, similar stuff then :smile:

yeah!
Original post by BirdIsWord
That's pretty good man. Based on that I'd say PPE would be great for you

I don't know. I'm quite set on doing the opposite. But yeah thanks for the advice haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ugaaa5
Anyone else think that the electoral system one was a really nice 25 marker?

Yes I thought it was easy
I'm hoping for 4/8/19 4/8/22
For me it's looking like 4/7/17 & 4/7/21 at a wild guess
You all ready for unit 2? :s-smilie:
Original post by govtandpolitics
You all ready for unit 2? :s-smilie:

lolno :s-smilie:
Reply 208
Hey so I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I answered the questions on electoral systems and pressure groups and was wondering what everyone thinks about my answers. The questions aren't exactly right and idk what I put for the 5 markers but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Explain why referendums can be said to be a threat to representative democracy
- Gov officials (MPs) become less accountable
-Low turnout (e.g. AV) means not everybody being represented
The UK should adopt AMS for elections to the Westminster parliament. Discuss
- Brief intro to AMS
-FOR- More proportional system meaning smaller parties are recognised (UKIP in 2015 receiving only 1 seat under FPTP)
-AGAINST- Increased chances of coalition government (Essex model and the 1997 Labour majority reduced under other systems)
-FOR- As FPTP involved less confusing than other alternative systems such as STV
-AGAINST- Still more confusing than FPTP leading to votes wasted (142 000 wasted in 2007 Scottish parliamentary elections

Why are insider groups more likely to influence government policy than outsider groups
-Government has close relationship with insider groups meaning they are more likely to consult them regarding policy (RSPCA consulted over Dangerous Dogs Act 1991)
-Government less likely to work with groups that use more extreme methods (direct action) used more commonly by outsider groups e.g. Plane Stupid on roof of Westminster 2008

The success of a pressure group depends on the tactics used to achieve its goals. Discuss
-Brief discussion on how success is measured by aims of party and how different tactics work to different level of success depending on these- Insider groups want to influence policy and outsider groups want to gain media attention
-Traditional methods such as Lobbying and the use of petitions generally used by insider groups such as the Snowdrop campaign which resulted in the banning of handguns in 2005
- Unconventional methods (direct action) used by outsider groups generally to gain media attention- Greenpeace vs Shell 1995
-Resources also important to success of pressure groups- money (to advertise or even hire private lobbying firms such as PDLR) and membership (RSPB having higher membership than Conservative, Labour and Lib Dem party)
-State of government- if coalition government then less likely to focus on pressure group issues and pressure groups rely on the government to need their advice (RSPCA and dangerous dogs act 1991/ fox hunting but not consulted since)
Original post by olmyster911
lolno :s-smilie:

Me neither :/ and this unit is much harder :frown:
Me neither :/ and this unit is much harder :frown:

Which two topics are you gonna do? I haven't decided yet :/
Original post by Tee1199
does any one remember the exact wording of the 25 marker for participation and voting behaviour please?

Pretty sure it was 'Voting should be seen as only one measurement of political participation'
Which two topics are you gonna do? I haven't decided yet :/

I think constitution and parliament :tongue:
You?
I think constitution and parliament :tongue:
You?

At the moment I'm leaning to executive and multi-level governance, but I wasn't taught the latter :s-smilie: I don't really care for the judiciary side of the constitution!
At the moment I'm leaning to executive and multi-level governance, but I wasn't taught the latter :s-smilie: I don't really care for the judiciary side of the constitution!

Ah really! I wasn't taught the multi-level governance. I think core executive is quite a tricky one 😕
I hate the core executive. I still have no idea what the civil service even does or what the minister-civil servant relationship, or what a spad does. Constitution and Parliament ftw.
Shall we set up the unit 2 forum I'm not sure how to haha

Im doing constitution and parliament - we didn't even learn multi governance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any hints for unit 2 perhaps?
Original post by CallumEllison97
they'll be on participation and pr systems if you were wondering! thank me later :wink:

Any hints for unit 2 perhaps?
Reply 219
Does anyone remember the exact wording or similar wording for the 5 and 10 mark questions for voting behaviour and electoral systems?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending