The Student Room Group

2:2 in first year non target university

Getting a summer internship in IBD from a non-target with a 2:2 grade in first year - can it be done?

Scroll to see replies

As Galadriel, the Lady of Lórien once said, "for the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all."
If you've contacts from your old private school/diners club - yes.

If you're an average Joe who's coasting - no, probably not.

I would rate your odds to be on par with that of a snowball in hell, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If you polish your CV to a mirror shine and/or have extracurricular activities that impress then you may be in with a shot.

A guy on my course who was a total wasted managed to get onto a decent leadership internship because he was the chair of the course committee in his first year. In reality he was the only person who went for the position and did nothing in the position, but it looks fantastic on paper. Incidentally, he did terribly on the internship and his name is now mud within the company from what I can gather, but he got it.
Reply 3
You can always improve your grades this in the next years, try and get an ad hoc internship at a boutique bank,

Wait wait wait wait... you're trolling aren't you
Original post by Trapz99
You can always improve your grades this in the next years, try and get an ad hoc internship at a boutique bank,

Wait wait wait wait... you're trolling aren't you

hahaha I wish I was, basically had the most f***** exam papers this year, defo coming out with a 2:2 at best
Reply 5
Original post by Breakingbank
hahaha I wish I was, basically had the most f***** exam papers this year, defo coming out with a 2:2 at best

No i saw you on some other thread where I was told that you have multiple offers from IBs. You were trolling on that thread too
op is trolling
No he's not, don't be a **** bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
No i saw you on some other thread where I was told that you have multiple offers from IBs. You were trolling on that thread too

Nah, he isn't trolling.. And he did get multiple sw offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
Nah, he isn't trolling.. And he did get multiple sw offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you trolling as well? Lol I'm really confused now.

So OP, if you aren't trolling, maybe just do really well in your other exams? What degree classification do you need to get the job? There's always a way into IB somehow. Maybe do a masters? Also, if you're not in the final year then you can do really we'll next year and get a better degree classification?
(edited 7 years ago)
Na basically I've sat 5/6 of my exams and all 5 have gone terribly - predicting myself 2:2s at best so now worried a bit on the requirement of a 2:1 for summer internships next year, knowledge and personality, alongside previous work experience means f*** all if I can't get past the online screening requirements
I thought that first year doesn't count towards your degree classification?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99

It's used to assess your competitiveness for summer positions, etc.
Original post by Trapz99

as user above said^ and most summer internships have a requirement of a 2:1 in first year
Reply 14
It's not really a big deal, just make sure you don't get a 2:2 in the years that count.
People who go to target universities fight for a front office job. A 2:2 at a non-target? No way, man. Unless you're a prodigy who will outperform anyone in the bank.
Original post by glebp
People who go to target universities fight for a front office job. A 2:2 at a non-target? No way, man. Unless you're a prodigy who will outperform anyone in the bank.

You severely underestimate this guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Elivercury
If you've contacts from your old private school/diners club - yes.

If you're an average Joe who's coasting - no, probably not.

I would rate your odds to be on par with that of a snowball in hell, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If you polish your CV to a mirror shine and/or have extracurricular activities that impress then you may be in with a shot.

A guy on my course who was a total wasted managed to get onto a decent leadership internship because he was the chair of the course committee in his first year. In reality he was the only person who went for the position and did nothing in the position, but it looks fantastic on paper. Incidentally, he did terribly on the internship and his name is now mud within the company from what I can gather, but he got it.
post of the day
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't mean to be ignorant, but which universities are target?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is good to know.

OP, what qualities do you possess, that you believe that you can gain something, despite your position?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending