The Student Room Group

WJEC AS CG1 Resit (6th June)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ariel Goldstein
I guarantee all the mark schemes are written in welsh and lost in translation when written in english. Also do you think the welsh have an unfair advantage in WJEC exams?

Definitely!!! that is the only valid explanation.
Original post by Kenconut
backing up is time consuming as it involves rewriting each individual paper record, computer is easier as it provides facilites to make process convenient i.e. drag and drop database files into different directories, simply plug in a data storage device and transfer to that bla bla bla

Amending a record with paper system is difficult and time consuming as it involves rewriting the entire paper record even if just a single field is being amended, computer is better as it allows you to select single field without changing other fields, uses the data already on system bla bla, convenience

Difficult to put data into usable order as youd have to sift through individual record and sort into piles/ whatever order wanted, computer is easier as you can simply use built in functions like filtering, quering the data to produce wanted reports bla bla

basically literally everything comes down to just convenience and time saving

you couldve said about being harder to read on paper as handwriting could be illegible, but i think it may have been one of the points already in the question itself

Cheers! I got most of these points but the illegible writing was in the question.
Original post by illustions
Cheers! I got most of these points but the illegible writing was in the question.

thats great man, and yeah thats decent then, atleast that didn't affect us... cant remember what the last point would have been though? swear there were usually 5 points in the mark scheme (4 in this case cause writing was in the question)
thats great man, and yeah thats decent then, atleast that didn't affect us... cant remember what the last point would have been though? swear there were usually 5 points in the mark scheme (4 in this case cause writing was in the question)

In previous mark schemes you usually just need to put down 3 points and explain them right?
In previous mark schemes you usually just need to put down 3 points and explain them right?

yeah but there would usually be a selection between 5 points, we've covered 4

anyway, did you get the same answer as me for the algorithm where you had to write on the code?
yeah but there would usually be a selection between 5 points, we've covered 4

anyway, did you get the same answer as me for the algorithm where you had to write on the code?

Boolean was 100% correct but cannot confirm the others :/
Boolean was 100% correct but cannot confirm the others :/

what was it that you put
what was it that you put

Honestly, I left the rest blank. This is why I avoided your question :/
Honestly, I left the rest blank. This is why I avoided your question :/

ah man, sorry to hear, in all fairness judging by previous conversation, your marks will definitely been made up by other questions :smile:
Original post by kenconut
ah man, sorry to hear, in all fairness judging by previous conversation, your marks will definitely been made up by other questions :smile:

respeck:u
respeck:u

stop playin wi mah f*ckin name
stop playin wi mah f*ckin name

Birdman haha
Birdman haha

reckon birdman would be as vexed as us about wjec if he was sitting this specification
Reply 93
I liked the paper tbf, just the algorithm took me longer than it should of (not that time was of concern xD) and the sequential search one felt like they were purposely trying to throw us which was a classic WJEC thing to do >.>

I got an E last year but got 2 almost full mark courseworks (AS and A2) so only need to get a high E/Low D to get a C in the A2 paper but hopefully if i get atleast a C in that CG1 paper i can get a B overall. what you all going for/did you get?
Reply 94
Anyone here doing CG3? I got a C in it last year, basically need an A this year and it's looking pretty tight.
Original post by jay_em
Anyone here doing CG3? I got a C in it last year, basically need an A this year and it's looking pretty tight.

Exactly the same situation here and I want to do computer science uni as well so it doesn't help. How are you revising for this?
Reply 96
Original post by Denn1sT
Exactly the same situation here and I want to do computer science uni as well so it doesn't help. How are you revising for this?

Yeah I'm gunning for Computer Science too and this exam might put an end to that.

I'm revising by doing past papers and trying to memorise as much of the mark schemes as possible. WJEC seem to have specific definitions and points in mind for the different topics so this seems to be the best method to me, but it remains to be seen how I'll do in the actual exam. Really frustrated with this whole thing, I understand pretty much everything in CG3 (this being my second attempt at it) but that doesn't seem to help much with the exam!

How are you revising?
Exactly the same I have the understanding but it's writing it in the way WJEC wants it. I am just going through Ronan Walters notes and memorising mark scheme answers. The problem is the definitions change, so I tend to focus on the newer papers. I have also got the revision guide to go over things on the spec WJEC haven't asked before, but not sure if there's any point because they want it a specific way and if it's not that it's wrong.
Reply 98
Original post by Denn1sT
Exactly the same I have the understanding but it's writing it in the way WJEC wants it. I am just going through Ronan Walters notes and memorising mark scheme answers. The problem is the definitions change, so I tend to focus on the newer papers. I have also got the revision guide to go over things on the spec WJEC haven't asked before, but not sure if there's any point because they want it a specific way and if it's not that it's wrong.

Oh yeah, I've been using those notes too. Pretty useful.

Good point on the definitions changing. I don't understand how they get away with that. I should probably check that I haven't learnt any old definitions.

I'm hoping that, this being the second last CG3 exam, with next year's only being resits, that they reuse as many old questions as possible.

Quick Reply