The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelpain
You don't have study leave/?!!?

Nope! My English language is 2 yr linear so we just have to continue am until term finishes, did as sociology (which didn't count) so we're already beginning what we're gonna do next year for preparation with the a level
If you have study leave you are so lucky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Nope! My English language is 2 yr linear so we just have to continue am until term finishes, did as sociology (which didn't count) so we're already beginning what we're gonna do next year for preparation with the a level

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing two questions from the book and I'm a bit stuck

How effective is parliament in carrying out its representative role
how effective is parliament in checking gov power....

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i've had it since the 13th and I have it until mechanics on the 17th :tongue: then I have to go back, ugh. Break up on the 6th though so not long left
Original post by xxvine

checking govt power
HoL can delaylegislation -> blocked tax credits -> also can’t be whipped -> no majority

Commons can voteof no confidence -> this is when the House believes that the executivehaven’t acted well = kick them out -> happened in ’79 with Callaghan and newparty in charge

PMQs/urgent questions/written questions

SelectCommittees -> have one per department and look over the departmentalmanagement and policies -> vital as allows greater scope than normallyallowed -> can bring witnesses to talk -> report written then publishedto house with recommendations -> Mrs Dunwoody made determined attacks onboth the management of Rail track and government plans for the privatisation ofthe air traffic control system -> shows they can be effective

BUT,
HoL isunelected, unaccountable thus decisions they make don’t have legitimacy &Parliament Act means House of Lords is rendered useless since can only delay byone year

Nature ofelectoral system = majority is usually given to the winning party -> if theparty has a majority means it can push through legislation which may actuallybe unpopular, such as the Poll Tax, but regardless it was passed

Due to partyloyalty & whips MPs will pass legislation regardless of whether they agreewith it!!
Original post by xxvine

For representativeness could split it between commons and lords
Commons doesn't match up socially to society in the uk
Lords on the other hand does with a variety of peers from different occupational background
Could argue that it's not representative cause of the electoral system -plurality vote so do they really have authority/the mandate to represent people?
MPs might not be that interested in representing their constituents may want to focus on the wider opinion of the U.K. Or are under the influence of the party whips- which are a hell of a lot more stronger in the commons than lords
That's all I can think of right now but I know there's more ....

Checking power:
Opposition from the losing parties in commons through prime ministers question time which links in with scrutiny and accountability
The committees of the houses : legislative and select (department)
If commons opposition is weak then lords will take the place and challenge gov to rethink poor legislation - could argue that labour is poor opposition at the moment as party isn't United it's much more divided and focused on attacking it's self from the inside than checking on gov
Questions to minister- also links with scrutiny/accountability
That's a starting point...have you written down others or kinda similar points?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i've had it since the 13th and I have it until mechanics on the 17th :tongue: then I have to go back, ugh. Break up on the 6th though so not long left

Oh I see that's lucky! Have you had any other exams other than politics?
You also go on break earlier than me by the looks of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see that's lucky! Have you had any other exams other than politics?
You also go on break earlier than me by the looks of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 12 altogether. 4 maths, 2 govpol, 2 history & 2 econ & 2 general studies :frown:
One of the perks of my school is longer holidays 😉 although school day is 8:35am-4pm and only 1 free period a week! longer than most :tongue:
I have 12 altogether. 4 maths, 2 govpol, 2 history & 2 econ & 2 general studies :frown:
One of the perks of my school is longer holidays 😉 although school day is 8:35am-4pm and only 1 free period a week! longer than most :tongue:

**** me I didn't realise you could even take that many! That's amazing you must have had pretty decent grades at GCSE to be able to do 4 subjects...the highest anyone can do in my sixth form is four and then probably drop one after a year
Man oh man that's like being at school...any regrets?😂
In Friday I only have one lesson so I have the rest of the day off but other days I might have 5 lessons but i still get like a 3 hour break, damn right yours is pretty long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** me I didn't realise you could even take that many! That's amazing you must have had pretty decent grades at GCSE to be able to do 4 subjects...the highest anyone can do in my sixth form is four and then probably drop one after a year
Man oh man that's like being at school...any regrets?😂
In Friday I only have one lesson so I have the rest of the day off but other days I might have 5 lessons but i still get like a 3 hour break, damn right yours is pretty long!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only regret is choosing economics instead of RS since i ****ed up my econ exam 😂 I enjoy all of my subjects so I can't complain too much, just after everyday you get pretty tired lol. What are you thinking of doing after? politics at uni? 😉
For representativeness could split it between commons and lords
Commons doesn't match up socially to society in the uk
Lords on the other hand does with a variety of peers from different occupational background
Could argue that it's not representative cause of the electoral system -plurality vote so do they really have authority/the mandate to represent people?
MPs might not be that interested in representing their constituents may want to focus on the wider opinion of the U.K. Or are under the influence of the party whips- which are a hell of a lot more stronger in the commons than lords
That's all I can think of right now but I know there's more ....

Checking power:
Opposition from the losing parties in commons through prime ministers question time which links in with scrutiny and accountability
The committees of the houses : legislative and select (department)
If commons opposition is weak then lords will take the place and challenge gov to rethink poor legislation - could argue that labour is poor opposition at the moment as party isn't United it's much more divided and focused on attacking it's self from the inside than checking on gov
Questions to minister- also links with scrutiny/accountability
That's a starting point...have you written down others or kinda similar points?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks kind of

It seems with parliament you have to look at other areas besides s particular section
checking govt power
HoL can delaylegislation -> blocked tax credits -> also can’t be whipped -> no majority

Commons can voteof no confidence -> this is when the House believes that the executivehaven’t acted well = kick them out -> happened in ’79 with Callaghan and newparty in charge

PMQs/urgent questions/written questions

SelectCommittees -> have one per department and look over the departmentalmanagement and policies -> vital as allows greater scope than normallyallowed -> can bring witnesses to talk -> report written then publishedto house with recommendations -> Mrs Dunwoody made determined attacks onboth the management of Rail track and government plans for the privatisation ofthe air traffic control system -> shows they can be effective

BUT,
HoL isunelected, unaccountable thus decisions they make don’t have legitimacy &Parliament Act means House of Lords is rendered useless since can only delay byone year

Nature ofelectoral system = majority is usually given to the winning party -> if theparty has a majority means it can push through legislation which may actuallybe unpopular, such as the Poll Tax, but regardless it was passed

Due to partyloyalty & whips MPs will pass legislation regardless of whether they agreewith it!!

Was the poll tax passed lol?
Thought it wasn't
Original post by xxvine
Was the poll tax passed lol?
Thought it wasn't

According to wiki it was, not fully sure
Original post by xxvine
What is your school or college doing lol?
You only learnt one topic for unit 2?!?
Surely not 😩

no we went over 4 topics for unit 2 but not taught well
Reply 193
Anyone got essay plans for 40 markers? Any topic any previous past paper question! Send them if possible! Thank youuuuu
According to wiki it was, not fully sure

i really hope the paper is easier than unit 1

:frown:
for advantages of the UK constitution i put it has stood the test of time but idk how to explain. can someone please help
Original post by lilavocado
for advantages of the UK constitution i put it has stood the test of time but idk how to explain. can someone please help

The UK constitution has served us well for many years where it has been able to adapt to varying circumstances ( such as EU , decentralisation ). There has been no real need , or indeed want , to change it.

If the question is about the pure advantages then you want to talk about how we've lived happily without any revolution or major dissatifaction.
How many topics are people revising fully for unit 2?
Original post by Babs Posh
How many topics are people revising fully for unit 2?

Ive done all of them because im too scared to take the risk. Do you think it will be really difficult?
Only regret is choosing economics instead of RS since i ****ed up my econ exam 😂 I enjoy all of my subjects so I can't complain too much, just after everyday you get pretty tired lol. What are you thinking of doing after? politics at uni? 😉

Hey well that's good I can imagine it's pretty tiring having long days every week but it helps you enjoy it 😁 and oh my god no way 😂 either linguistics or sociology depending on the grades...would you go into that ppe thing at uni considering you're already doing economics and politics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending