The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT Exam 6th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamCricket1
Was this years exam similar to June 2013? Or any other recent past papers?

June 12. Full ums was 72
Original post by SamCricket1
Thanks, will the A2 exam be similar to June 12 to achieve alignment or not?

No idea. I'm a year 12

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by purplepandax
i think it went awful today 😓 everyone else thought it was easy tho 😬

I really wouldn't worry because I found the exam really easy last year and got an E in the exam but a C overall! A lot of people think it was easy, but if they haven't used markschemes/read the question properly then chances are they haven't done great. Just focus on your next one now!
Original post by PedanticStudent
unlikely for this qualification. Not enough people do it.

There was an unofficial mark scheme last year. It wouldn't be hard to make one though if there's enough people that want it..?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OwenSallows
There was an official mark scheme last year. It wouldn't be hard to make one though if there's enough people that want it..?

I am a person who would like to see it.
I'd just like to point out that filter IS search for the spreadsheet section B questions!
Also, does anyone know if for the schools registration system - did the advantages have to be general advantages?
Like, if you gave the advantage 'Biometrics means you don't have a card to lose', would you get the mark or not because it's not a general advantage?

I gave all general ones because I thought this was the case, and had a hard time thinking of 6 points. Kind of annoying if I just could've written specific advantages and I'd like to know for future WJEC exams about the wording issues! Thanks :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by celloel
I'd just like to point out that filter IS search for the spreadsheet section B questions!
Also, does anyone know if for the schools registration system - did the advantages have to be general advantages?
Like, if you gave the advantage 'Biometrics means you don't have a card to lose', would you get the mark or not because it's not a general advantage?

I gave all general ones because I thought this was the case, and had a hard time thinking of 6 points. Kind of annoying if I just could've written specific advantages and I'd like to know for future WJEC exams about the wording issues! Thanks :smile:

Spoiler

It is 99% likely that they wanted general advantages.

However, due to the fact that SIX general advantages is a ludicrously large amount, it is likely that they will again condone ONE MARK to be awarded for topic specific advantages, like in summer 2012.

So for instance, if you gave five concrete mark scheme general advantages then gave one topic specific advantage like I did then you will get away with it more than likely.

I gave one specific: 'Smart/swipe cards encourage students to be responsible, which is a good life quality, as they have the duty to look after their card and be in on time every day to swipe it etc'
(edited 7 years ago)
x'

Thank you so much!
6 points was ridiculous.. I had to really think for that question haha
Reply 348
No. Not 73/80 for an A. 73/80 for max ums

an A is 96ums

max ums is 120ums.

The more UMS you get now, the easier it will be to get an A overall in the final a level.

Or if capable, by achieving almost full UMS in all 4 components of the course, you may be in a chance to achieve an A* instead. As many has stated that the WJEC ICT is merely a memory test, you would be at more advantage in gaining full UMS as you would have a broad range of past papers to study and explore. Whereas a student who studied this ICT course in 2009 would have only had the SAM and the indistinct course book. Therefore the whole majority of you are all fully capable of achieving an A* or A in the whole course itself.

This course will soon be scrapped becuase its too simple; I would say to you all to aim for an A* in this as it would be worth 140 UCAS points, an A is worth 120 UCAS points etc. It would certainly be beneficial when deciding university degree courses which are based on these uni points.

That's all. Good luck in A2 :h:
Original post by Rawr97
Or if capable, by achieving almost full UMS in all 4 components of the course, you may be in a chance to achieve an A* instead. As many has stated that the WJEC ICT is merely a memory test, you would be at more advantage in gaining full UMS as you would have a broad range of past papers to study and explore. Whereas a student who studied this ICT course in 2009 would have only had the SAM and the indistinct course book. Therefore the whole majority of you are all fully capable of achieving an A* or A in the whole course itself.

This course will soon be scrapped becuase its too simple; I would say to you all to aim for an A* in this as it would be worth 140 UCAS points, an A is worth 120 UCAS points etc. It would certainly be beneficial when deciding university degree courses which are based on these uni points.

That's all. Good luck in A2 :h:

Is A2 just as bad? Just as mark scheme dependent? Do I need to sit and remember mundane trot again lol
Reply 350
Is A2 just as bad? Just as mark scheme dependent? Do I need to sit and remember mundane trot again lol

Lol yes, except there's less content. It does require more thinking though and the coursework isn't as straightforward but it's still easy.
Reply 351

Imo I wouldn't say that it's that bad as the AS, only have 9 topics however my teacher said that topics 5, 7 & 8 are pretty much business based. I just mould a perfect answer from the markscheme and remember it, as all the question don't seem to change in wording at all. Yes, most likely have to sit and learn mundane trot again lol
Original post by Rawr97
Imo I wouldn't say that it's that bad as the AS, only have 9 topics however my teacher said that topics 5, 7 & 8 are pretty much business based. I just mould a perfect answer from the markscheme and remember it, as all the question don't seem to change in wording at all. Yes, most likely have to sit and learn mundane trot again lol

Opinion on the relevance of the textbook? (if you have it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 353

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do have it, from the beginning of the A2 course from my teacher. I won't be able to assess it in comparison of the AS textbook as I've never had the AS one.

The A2 book consist of about 150 pages of theory and about 20 pages on the IT4 coursework. Also consist of questions with exempler model answers, few markshemes with examiner commentary. Everything that WJEC could ever ask will be in this book.

Imo, I've found myself using it quite a lot as it actually gave me an extension to most of my answers that I would extend from the markscheme.
Sometimes when the markscheme isn't quite clear, I would have to trawl through this book to clearly understand the concepts. Good for background knowledge.

Topic 9: System Development Life Cycle was a topic where I was wandering what on earth it was about and the markscheme were very brief, using the book has helped me a lot in terms of expanding important points.

However that's only based on my prespective, other people may disagree with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say that the textbook is fairly helpful, but yet again, it is learning mark schemes. If you want have a little overlook of what is to come, this is a document that only uses past papers as the notes, but bare in mind that it isn't completely finished. The coursework is quite a bit harder and is twice as long, if not three times as long. If you have good knowledge about Access then you should be okay!
Is there an unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by Rawr97
I have attached past papers from 2006 to 2008 if anyone requires them or are experiencing trouble finding them. Despite them being from the older course, they are still of some use as there are questions which are also in the current specifications which they have not yet asked in the 2009-2015 series of exam papers.

Hi,

Would you happen to have the January 2010 and June 2010 IT3 (A2) past papers?

I have the rest but not even my teacher has the two above. I am aware there are no 2009 papers in existence, but it would be nice to have all of the a2 papers ready for next year, I cannot find either of those 2010 ones anywhere!

Good luck again for August.
Hi,

Would you happen to have the January 2010 and June 2010 IT3 (A2) past papers?

I have the rest but not even my teacher has the two above. I am aware there are no 2009 papers in existence, but it would be nice to have all of the a2 papers ready for next year, I cannot find either of those 2010 ones anywhere!

Good luck again for August.

Here you go
Original post by 28/01/2016
Here you go

Excellent. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending