The Student Room Group

Guys, do you find stretch marks a turn off?

Scroll to see replies

Although there's nothing inherently wrong with finding stretch marks unattractive, it creates rather unrealistic standards of beauty since the majority of women will have them somewhere (arse, thighs, breast area etc). I honestly don't notice them that much, I have some myself anyhow near my armpits and the top of my thigh.
Reply 21
Find them quite sexy actually.
Original post by Anonymous
So I have tiger stripes on my ass as well as stretch marks on my stomach and thighs. I'm so self concious of them so I was wondering, is it a turn off?

Definitely not, I really like to appreciate the body of the person I'm with and stretch marks aren't at all a problem.

They're not disgusting in the slightest so please don't feel that way, because I personally find them kinda cool!

People generally won't usually bring them up as the people that have them usually aren't comfortable with them, but it definitely doesn't mean they don't like them!

Just got to learn to love yourself and your marks :smile:
Original post by Proxenus
Stretch marks on a girl are signs of a real woman

Lol. So what if they don't have stretch marks?

What are they then?
Reply 24
Original post by Profesh
While I concur with the spirit of the sentiment and readily acknowledge the wider issues at play, I don't think suggesting that it's reasonable—or moral—to scorn a person who rejects you for their conditioned, unconscious, involuntary preferences is any more constructive than instilling said person with the idea that anyone who doesn't conform to those preferences ought likewise to be deserving of scorn. If I'm personally morally accountable for harbouring a slight aversion to unkempt female body-hair, then I reserve the right to have anyone who declines my advances on grounds of hair-colour tried for hate-crime. As it is; if a partner wants me to shave all of my hair below the neckline out of reciprocation, I'll happily do so.

On the topic of deciding eligibility among prospective partners you might find that this exchange provides some insight into an example of a dating mentality which, for all its inherent 'unfairness', is arguably necessitated by the practical, economic constraints of human existence and, to that extent, bears analogy with many other such (if more overtly calculating) decision-making processes the world over.

Edit: No-one approves attachments; if you want to link an image, I recommend imgur.

Ever the sentimentalist, me.

My point is that it may be an idea to critique these preferences because they are, as you say, conditioned and unconscious. If a person said to me that they would not like to have sex with me because I do not shave my legs regularly (because it takes time, and sometimes I can't be bothered), then I would show them the door. As it happens, my partner prefers shaved legs, but wants me to do what I feel most comfortable doing. By the same token, I prefer to pop spots, but I don't insist that she pop hers. I think we need to move away from this idea of changing oneself to please other people. However, I do think looking after oneself is sexy (we all have different ideas of what this might look like, however).

Anyone who would decline you on grounds of hair colour ought to be shot.

Eh, we've very different ways of thinking, but the discussion is interesting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Laus2
Ever the sentimentalist, me.

My point is that it may be an idea to critique these preferences because they are, as you say, conditioned and unconscious. If a person said to me that they would not like to have sex with me because I do not shave my legs regularly (because it takes time, and sometimes I can't be bothered), then I would show them the door. As it happens, my partner prefers shaved legs, but wants me to do what I feel most comfortable doing. By the same token, I prefer to pop spots, but I don't insist that she pop hers. I think we need to move away from this idea of changing oneself to please other people. However, I do think looking after oneself is sexy (we all have different ideas of what this might look like, however).

Anyone who would decline you on grounds of hair colour ought to be shot.

Eh, we've very different ways of thinking, but the discussion is interesting.

Critique? Absolutely: to challenge prejudice is as much a civic responsibility as it is an intellectual one; but I would aver it is for precisely this reason that one should take special care not to unduly stigmatise—and thereby, potentially, alienate—those who hold such preferences simply by default rather than for bigoted or chauvinistic reasons, as it is that silent majority of 'non-combatants' who are most amenable to empathy and critical self-examination, even if the preferences themselves may be too deep-rooted to change.

Oh, and I'm surprised you've forgotten my rather profound, if for the most part, expertly-concealed sentimental streak. Although, granted, I could never profess to match your rare degree of innate compassion.
Original post by LydiaIbbi
Lol. So what if they don't have stretch marks?

What are they then?

They are still just girls. They're not a woman yet
I think by the time anyone sees them, it probably won't be the first thing on their mind :ninja:
So I have tiger stripes on my ass as well as stretch marks on my stomach and thighs. I'm so self concious of them so I was wondering, is it a turn off?

omg i have this also tbh! like on my hips and ass. mine do happen to be quite mild though. my mum goes: 'oh it's because you are growing fast' :/. but no, i don't think you should be self conscious at all! i love my stretch marks, also apparently they do go away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ?Hannah
omg i have this also tbh! like on my hips and ass. mine do happen to be quite mild though. my mum goes: 'oh it's because you are growing fast' :/. but no, i don't think you should be self conscious at all! i love my stretch marks, also apparently they do go away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. They are because you're growing. Sometimes it doesn't go away though. I've got ones on my triceps and biceps. I've also got them on my shoulder blades. It looks like I had wings but I've cut them off and now the stripes are scars lol. Makes me feel like I'm out of the X Men🤘🤘🤘😏😏😏

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Laus2
I love women and I can assure you that stretch marks are beautiful. They are quirks like anything else. Plus you can't get rid of them so you might as well embrace them :smile:. We think these things are distasteful because society feeds us lies that we should try to rid ourselves of all our so-called 'imperfections' (with their expensive products, ideally). But you don't have to buy into it.

If a man (or woman) is put off by stretch marks, body hair or body fat, then they are not worth your time, least of all your romantic attention.

You are awesome as you are now.

Original post by Laus2
That's exactly what I was saying. You're smart.

That was the implication yes. What makes you think a person put off by those things are lower value than those who do have them? Using your logic, the most beautiful women in the world are covered in fat, hair and stretch marks.

Bet you're popular company at the bingo hall.

I used to be worried about this too but if you ask or look at most people they also have stretch marks somewhere, or if not some other imperfections. It is our imperfections which make us unique :smile:
Nope.
Original post by Jebedee

Looooooooooool. Just made my day.

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
Reply 34
Original post by Jebedee
That was the implication yes. What makes you think a person put off by those things are lower value than those who do have them? Using your logic, the most beautiful women in the world are covered in fat, hair and stretch marks.

I didn't once utter the words "lower value". If a person said to me that they would not be my partner because of a physical characteristic, then yes, I would say they are not worth my time; not because they are of "lower value", but because they are unable (because of their preferences) to value me as I am.

Beauty is subjective. I do believe all people are beautiful, for different reasons. My partner is slim and shaved, because she doesn't put on weight easily and she prefers to shave her legs. Had she been curvy (like me) and hairy, I would have still been attracted to her.

Don't knock bingo, my friend.

Using your logic, the most beautiful women in the world are covered in fat, hair and stretch marks.

It's okay if you don't like hairy or larger women. It's not particularly decent to put women down for these characteristics, however.
Reply 35
Original post by Profesh
Critique? Absolutely: to challenge prejudice is as much a civic responsibility as it is an intellectual one; but I would aver it is for precisely this reason that one should take special care not to unduly stigmatise—and thereby, potentially, alienate—those who hold such preferences simply by default rather than for bigoted or chauvinistic reasons, as it is that silent majority of 'non-combatants' who are most amenable to empathy and critical self-examination, even if the preferences themselves may be too deep-rooted to change.

Oh, and I'm surprised you've forgotten my rather profound, if for the most part, expertly-concealed sentimental streak. Although, granted, I could never profess to match your rare degree of innate compassion.

It dwindles the more time I spend with human beings.
*sigh*.... this again?

As with everything it depends. If you have a overhanging belly covered in stretch marks... no I'm not going to find it attractive. That being said if you have a few on your legs I'm most likely not going to notice. And if you have so many you call them tiger stripes I'm probably not going to find them 'attractive', but it's more going to be out of indifference.

Basically if you have a stunning body, stretch marks are not going to make you seem unattractive, but it's not going to be like I'll be 'wow look how sexy and attractive those stretch marks are'.
Original post by DanB1991
*sigh*.... this again?

As with everything it depends. If you have a overhanging belly covered in stretch marks... no I'm not going to find it attractive. That being said if you have a few on your legs I'm most likely not going to notice. And if you have so many you call them tiger stripes I'm probably not going to find them 'attractive', but it's more going to be out of indifference.

Basically if you have a stunning body, stretch marks are not going to make you seem unattractive, but it's not going to be like I'll be 'wow look how sexy and attractive those stretch marks are'.

Yeah. Well versed. This is what you should really be asking OP. Your question is too vague. The last paragraph sums up my opinion of them.

Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Yeah. They are because you're growing. Sometimes it doesn't go away though. I've got ones on my triceps and biceps. I've also got them on my shoulder blades. It looks like I had wings but I've cut them off and now the stripes are scars lol. Makes me feel like I'm out of the X Men🤘🤘🤘😏😏😏

Aha, yeah. Tbh I'm used to having them and it would be slightly strange if they went away! Oh okay. Haha, that made me laugh - I really want to go and watch the new X Men film at the cinema. Have you watched it yet? If so, is it any good?
Original post by ?Hannah
Aha, yeah. Tbh I'm used to having them and it would be slightly strange if they went away! Oh okay. Haha, that made me laugh - I really want to go and watch the new X Men film at the cinema. Have you watched it yet? If so, is it any good?

No I haven't had a chance. I'm a bit of a social recluse at the moment due to exams. After the exams is when I can be myself 😏😏😏😏😏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending