The Student Room Group

Is 48 mpg good or bad ?

I drive a 10 year old 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI

I got 457 miles out of my last full tank ( refill from empty each week) this consisted of about 80 % motorway driving and 20 % urban with some dual carriageways

I drove at 80 - 90 mph at lot of the time on the motorway so I know I would have got better mpg had I stuck to 65 - 70 mph.
I need to get something on the car fixed too which will improve the mpg even more

I think the highest mpg recorded so far in this car was around 59 -63 mpg on almost all motorway journey.
Usually if around town with a few dual carriageways journey's I get approx. 38- 43 mpg

it takes 43 litres from fuel light to full brim

is my car's mpg alright ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty sure you're just trying to show off by announcing to the forum that you have a sport model car and you like to break the speed limit a lot.
Are you sure youre getting 48mpg?
I find that hard to belive, especially considering how you drive
I get 38mpg from my 1.2L Fiat Grande Punto (57 plate).

Im a bit baffled as to how your mpg is so high.
I know staying at a contant speed is good for economy but youre doing 90mph which will mean high revs (usually).

Maybe do the mpg calculation?
Thats what i do.
The readers in your car arent accurate.
Mine states 43-48mpg when i was only getting 38mpg.
So give that a go and see if its different.
Reply 3
Original post by FireFreezer77
Are you sure youre getting 48mpg?
It sounds like he's done his calculations correctly.

He's filled his tank from the low fuel warning level to full brim and given the total volume added (presumably from the pump) which is 43 litres. 43 litres = 9.45868 gallons.

Having done 457 miles with that amount of fuel, that averages approx 48.32 mpg.

As for whether that's "good" or not depends on perspective. To a 2 litre petrol car owner scraping 32mpg, they'd be positively envious. City commuters (in an old 2 litre petrol car) stuck in virtual standstill traffic all day long would get less than 30mpg.

For a diesel car driven mostly on a motorway, that's a little below average. You would break the 50mpg barrier if you stayed within legal speeds. My 1.9 litre turbo diesel can break the 55mpg barrier when driven correctly. 60 mpg isn't out of the question where most of the distance is covered at an average approaching 50mph.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HeavenBound
I drive a 10 year old 2006 mk2 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI

I got 457 miles out of my last full tank ( refill from empty each week) this consisted of about 80 % motorway driving and 20 % urban with some dual carriageways

I drove at 80 - 90 mph at lot of the time on the motorway so I know I would have got better mpg had I stuck to 65 - 70 mph.
I need to get something on the car fixed too which will improve the mpg even more

I think the highest mpg recorded so far in this car was around 59 -63 mpg on almost all motorway journey.
Usually if around town with a few dual carriageways journey's I get approx. 38- 43 mpg

it takes 43 litres from fuel light to full brim

is my car's mpg alright ?

my dad's got a ford focus estate same engine, same age that about 35-40 mpg so you're doing about ok nothing to worry about there
Reply 5
Sounds like a hateful mind numbing turd to me...
I heard if you cut some of the wires to the MAF sensor, it'll give you a perfect mpg readout on the dash. Might be worth trying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending