The Student Room Group

Further Maths or French A level - Hoping to study Physics.

My dad is trying to convince me that taking this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, French] is more advantageous than this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths] when I'm applying to a University for Physics or getting a job in Physics.

Is there any advantage in taking the former when it comes to applying to universities and jobs concerning Physics?

I'm thinking of either studying Astrophysics or Quantum Mechanics. My dad argues that a French A level will be more useful than a Further Maths A level, because CERN is partially in French-Speaking countries.

Scroll to see replies

Take further maths, unis will much prefer it and it will help you do physics much more than French will.
Reply 2
Original post by dylan1016
Take further maths, unis will much prefer it and it will help you do physics much more than French will.

Would not taking further maths be a detriment to me?
Have you considered taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French (not taking Chemistry)?
Reply 4
Your Dad is full of ****. Take FM.
Reply 5
Original post by tanyapotter
Have you considered taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French (not taking Chemistry)?

This would be better because Chemistry sometimes confuses cuz i do both chemistry and physics. they contradict each other sometimes
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

Unfortunately, French and Further Maths clash.
Original post by OGGUS
This would be better because Chemistry sometimes confuses cuz i do both chemistry and physics. hey contradict each other sometimes

Yeah. I'm taking maths, physics, further maths and german at A2 and I'm doing mechanical engineering next year, so while chemistry could perhaps have opened more doors had I changed my mind, luckily I didn't - and I'm getting all I need from M/FM/PH anyway, while German is a pleasant, refreshing contrast which will hopefully prepare me for working abroad in the future! OP, do you enjoy French? I think a language is a fantastic thing to study to AS/A2, and from first-hand experience, I can tell you that if you really like the language you've taken, it will be really worthwhile at the end of sixth form when you're both fluent and very mathematically able :smile:

Edit: Just saw your post. That sucks!! Oh well.
Reply 8
Yeah. I'm taking maths, physics, further maths and german at A2 and I'm doing mechanical engineering next year, so while chemistry could perhaps have opened more doors had I changed my mind, luckily I didn't - and I'm getting all I need from M/FM/PH anyway, while German is a pleasant, refreshing contrast which will hopefully prepare me for working abroad in the future! OP, do you enjoy French? I think a language is a fantastic thing to study to AS/A2, and from first-hand experience, I can tell you that if you really like the language you've taken, it will be really worthwhile at the end of sixth form when you're both fluent and very mathematically able :smile:

Edit: Just saw your post. That sucks!! Oh well.

Yeah German is much better due to Germany being so good with technology and you could do a year abroad there so it'll be great.:smile: Oh this was aimed at OP and was an addition from what you were saying the part where i was talking about Chemistry
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
So will -not- taking FM be a detriment to taking Physics at University?
I take Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French at AS- I'm not sure why I took 5, was feeling ambitious/ insane at the time. I've talked to many uni students and I think generally Physics degrees would prefer and even look for further maths.

However, having a language to balance out the sciencey maths based subjects has been vey nice this year as it feels more like a hobby and something I always enjoy than work.

Either way, I'm sure Unis would respect both subjects when you apply for a physics degree (I hope so as it's what I'm going to apply for!) so the decision should depend on what you feel comfortable and will enjoy taking because you have 3 very academic subjects anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by Heirio
My dad is trying to convince me that taking this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, French] is more advantageous than this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths] when I'm applying to a University for Physics or getting a job in Physics.

Is there any advantage in taking the former when it comes to applying to universities and jobs concerning Physics?

I'm thinking of either studying Astrophysics or Quantum Mechanics. My dad argues that a French A level will be more useful than a Further Maths A level, because CERN is partially in French-Speaking countries.

Seeing as FM and french class, take FM over french. Universities will 100% prefer it and it will be far more advantageous.
100% take FM. In fact uni's will most likely reduce your offers because many things you learn in FM (Complex numbers, Eigenvectors) have huge application in physics at a higher level and will make you much better prepared for physics at uni. no offense, but french ain't gonna do **** (shots fired).
Reply 13
Original post by OGGUS
This would be better because Chemistry sometimes confuses cuz i do both chemistry and physics. they contradict each other sometimes

No they don't.

Original post by Heirio
So will -not- taking FM be a detriment to taking Physics at University?

Absolutely.
FM 100%. I take FM and a language at A2 and I'm going to do a STEM degree and it's not really helpful when applying, and I doubt it's helpful during the degree

*It being the language, as much as I enjoy it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by alow
No they don't.

Absolutely.
They do, the teacher's even, however I have 2 different exam boards as well. It's cuz their not in as depth...
Original post by Heirio

Lol take further maths. Who cares if parts of cern are in french speaking places - there is more to physics degrees and jobs than cern, and besides the 'language' of physics is maths anyway so if you have the option of doing further maths you 100% should
Reply 17
Original post by OGGUS
They do, the teacher's even, however I have 2 different exam boards as well. It's cuz their not in as depth...

You're clearly not understanding them if you think they contradict each other. Also please learn to spell.
Original post by OGGUS

Can you give us an example of a contradiction?
Reply 19
Original post by alow
You're clearly not understanding them if you think they contradict each other. Also please learn to spell.

They don't actually always but the teacher's day at this level they may have some contradictions

Quick Reply

Latest