The Student Room Group

I think we need to start reconsidering our relationship with ISIS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Tempest II
Carpet bomb? The Russians have been. The UK couldn't carpet bomb even if it wanted to.

Spoiler

The RAF's Tornado GR4s, Typhoon FGR4s & Reaper RPAS are armed only with precision guided weapons. We don't have enough assets or money to carpet bomb anyone.

Do you know how many civilians have been killed by UK air strikes? Zero.

Isis air strikes: Civilian death toll from western bombing 'set to reach 1,000 within days'http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-air-strikes-civilian-death-toll-from-western-bombing-set-to-reach-1000-within-days-a6914601.html
Reply 61
Also most of these Isis people betrayed their OWN family, what makes you think they'll reason with you?

This is the most up to date info I could find -

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06995

Important snippets -

The RAF is the primary service in this operation and has deployed a mixture of combat, surveillance, reconnaissance, and refuelling/transport aircraft. Aircraft currently deployed include:

10 Tornado GR4 fast jet aircraft (including 2 additional aircraft deployed from 2 December 2015)

6 Typhoon combat aircraft (from 2 December 2015)

Reaper Remotely Piloted Air Systems

Airseeker surveillance aircraft

Voyager air-to-air refuelling aircraft

2 C130 transport aircraft.

E3-D Sentry aircraft

Sentinel surveillance aircraft.

(Once again highlighting that we couldn't carpet bomb anyone as we don't have the assets)

Civilian casualties
The Government has consistently maintained that no civilian casualties in Iraq or Syria, to date, have resulted from UK air strikes.

We can't control what our allies do. However there are no reports of the UK killing a single civilian.
Original post by john2054
What i mean is that these are people's brothers fathers and sons, and they are now in a losing position. And i am the first to point out that the terrible things they have done, are unacceptable. But they are still human beings, and we need to move on.

A lot of bad things have done, but this is a demographic we have demonized and driven in to a corner. Rather than to continue to hurl bombs and bullets at down, i think now is the time to sit down with the isis high command and negotiate a truce, okay?!?

Anto-western propaganda and a suggestion of peace with ISIS. You sir are an apologist!

ISIS is an enemy of the state, not just militarily but also culturally in their imperialistic desires. If we have them on the ground we should not relent, we must strike and go for the kill.
Reply 64

Important snippets -

The RAF is the primary service in this operation and has deployed a mixture of combat, surveillance, reconnaissance, and refuelling/transport aircraft. Aircraft currently deployed include:

10 Tornado GR4 fast jet aircraft (including 2 additional aircraft deployed from 2 December 2015)

E3-D Sentry aircraft

(Once again highlighting that we couldn't carpet bomb anyone as we don't have the assets)

Civilian casualties
The Government has consistently maintained that no civilian casualties in Iraq or Syria, to date, have resulted from UK air strikes.

We can't control what our allies do. However there are no reports of the UK killing a single civilian.

The UK government killed over a million in Iraq, by dropping bombs and shooting and torturing them. this is not up for debate. They dropped more bombs on iraq then they did in the first and second world wars combined. get a life.

by the most scientifically respected measures available, Iraq lost 1.4 million lives as a result of OIL, saw 4.2 million additional people injured, and 4.5 million people become refugees. The 1.4 million dead was 5% of the population

http://warisacrime.org/iraq
What i mean is that these are people's brothers fathers and sons, and they are now in a losing position. And i am the first to point out that the terrible things they have done, are unacceptable. But they are still human beings, and we need to move on.

A lot of bad things have done, but this is a demographic we have demonized and driven in to a corner. Rather than to continue to hurl bombs and bullets at down, i think now is the time to sit down with the isis high command and negotiate a truce, okay?!?

Your crazy these people are pschopaths with brain disorders believing they are right.
They won't negotiate
What there doing is unforgivable
Reply 66
Original post by shazy2014
Your crazy these people are pschopaths with brain disorders believing they are right.
They won't negotiate
What there doing is unforgivable

i guess you are right about isis, but i'm not backing down over the issue of the deaths we caused in iraq. obviously the government is not going to accept liability for the civilian fatalities they are wholly responsible. but this means nothing. ask any muslim!
Original post by *Alisha*
They don't represent Islam:colonhash:

They represent Islam just as much as you or I do.
We need to negotiate with them as a means to an end. By all means send in the snipers and smart bombs to the locations of the isis vip, to take out the leaders after the negotiations are over. But only then.

For as much as you mostly prepubscent tsr users may love to whack the straw pinata, but whilst there are civilised areas we are carpet bombing, innocents are going to die.

I agree that this isn't the same scale a problem as it has been with iraq and afghanistan, but still the point remains.

Every innocent that dies, from either side is an innocent too many.

I cry everytime i watch those beheading videos, and if you haven't seen one yet, i dare you to google it. just don't then come running back to me with hatred in your eyes.

Because hatred won't solve this problem. We need to feel pity on them. This of them as a deviant. They need our help, not our bullets!?!

You are a walking talking embodiment of the cucked left and it is those like you that have caused the problems we are facing today.

Important snippets -

E3-D Sentry aircraft

Civilian casualties

That alone shows the ineffectiveness of UK bombing.
Reply 70
Original post by The_Opinion
You are a walking talking embodiment of the cucked left and it is those like you that have caused the problems we are facing today.

i have lots of muslim friends. quit attacking me thanks
i have lots of muslim friends. quit attacking me thanks

WTF are you talking about?
Reply 72
WTF are you talking about?

i have lots of muslim friends, and they don't like it when they see their brothers and sisters being mown down in the middle east. they were so happy when i told them that i thought that we need to reconsider our position with isis. inshallah
The UK government killed over a million in Iraq, by dropping bombs and shooting and torturing them. this is not up for debate. They dropped more bombs on iraq then they did in the first and second world wars combined. get a life.

by the most scientifically respected measures available, Iraq lost 1.4 million lives as a result of OIL, saw 4.2 million additional people injured, and 4.5 million people become refugees. The 1.4 million dead was 5% of the population

http://warisacrime.org/iraq

Not a single civilian has been killed during Op SHADER (so since November 2014) by the UK in either Iraq or Syria.

So you say 1 million were killed by the UK alone during the 2003 conflict? Not even remotely true.
Sunni & Shia Muslims killed each other in droves during their pointless sectarian battles. Any casualties inflicted by any ISAF nation, even the USA, doesn't come close to the amount of Muslim casualties they've inflicted on each other.
i have lots of muslim friends, and they don't like it when they see their brothers and sisters being mown down in the middle east. they were so happy when i told them that i thought that we need to reconsider our position with isis. inshallah

You must be trolling with a comment like that. I don't think even leftists can be that stupid.
Reply 75
Why does the leader's name end with Al-Baghdadi?
That alone shows the ineffectiveness of UK bombing.

I don't see how avoiding civilian deaths can be classed as "ineffective" by any reasonable means.
Yeah they don't want a truce, or negotiations. Their ideology is kill everyone not like them. Thats every Christian, every Hindu, every Athiest, every Buddhist, every Sikh and every non Sunni Muslim. Your argument sums up everything that is wrong with the attitudes in the West. You can't combat evil with hugs and kisses and forgiveness. We didn't forgive the Nazis, we trailed then executed or imprisoned them. We should do the same with ISIS.
I don't see how avoiding civilian deaths can be classed as "ineffective" by any reasonable means.

As it shows that they are taking the targets that they should be doing.

Bombing a random empty truck isn't really worth spending £250,000 on doing.

To take out the enemy, they should be bombing civilian areas (which is where they are).

The Russian army / government is not run by a bunch of cowards, and they are willing to accept civilian casualties, and as a result, their bombing has been effective.
Original post by aeroline1999
Yeah they don't want a truce, or negotiations. Their ideology is kill everyone not like them. Thats every Christian, every Hindu, every Athiest, every Buddhist, every Sikh and every non Sunni Muslim. Your argument sums up everything that is wrong with the attitudes in the West. You can't combat evil with hugs and kisses and forgiveness. We didn't forgive the Nazis, we trailed then executed or imprisoned them. We should do the same with ISIS.

If the 2nd world war somehow took place today, Germany would have easily won. The politicians / generals these days have forgotten how to fight effectively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending