The Student Room Group

What Uni has parking spaces for students?

I am dead serious on choosing a university that has parking spaces or lets you have the ability to drive there without the traffic frenzy. Ii would like to study is Medicine and it can't be far from London either- I want to stay at home.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by funkypineapple
I am dead serious on choosing a university that has parking spaces or lets you have the ability to drive there without the traffic frenzy. Ii would like to study is Medicine and it can't be far from London either- I want to stay at home.

Hi

I've asked for this to be moved to the Medicine forum.

There aren't that many universities offering medicine in London - have you thought about contacting them all (an afternoon on the phone would do it) to ask directly.
Reply 3
Joke or serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
English unis are crap they dont offer parking for students.
Original post by cpaige21
Joke or serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:youbetcha: no joke
Uhh i know Manchester does at a few campuses.
Reply 7
:youbetcha: no joke

Most don't have parking. Especially not London unis. Public transport is best in London.
It's not advisable to take a car to uni. You'll barely use it (most things are close together at a lot of unis). For medicine it'll be good to have one from third year due to travelling between placements.
Most universities only have limited parking for students, and even then you usually have to buy a parking permit which will be based on a needs assessment. Finding a university with parking in/around London is even more of a stretch.

The University of Aberdeen (miles away from London, but meets your other criteria) offers Medicine, has student parking permits available and also has plenty of free on-street parking around the campus. The space I park in is about a 3 minute walk from the main part of campus, it's actually closer to some buildings than the student car park. If you are willing to live away from home, it might be a good option for you.

Then... the London unis are the only choice, surely? Though good luck with the no traffic and parking criteria! What did you think the answer was going to be? University of Slough? Southend Medical School?

A few of your placements will inevitably be outside of London as well, FYI.
Original post by BirdIsWord
Uhh i know Manchester does at a few campuses.

The hospitals in Manchester have parking, but for the first 2 pre-clinical years there isnt any at the University. Around the medical building on Oxford road parking is practically non existent. You would have to pay and display at the MRI everyday and wave goodbye to most of your student loan!

Parking near the London medical schools will be practically impossible, given that they are all in busy inner city areas. Perhaps if you have special requirements or a blue badge something could be arranged, but almost certainly not if you're looking to do it for the sake of "convenience".

There aren't actually any medical schools which are particularly near to London but not in London itself. The closest ones are probably BSMS or Oxford, which are still a considerable distance away. That's not even considering when you get to third year and they start sending you out on clinical placements all over the region.

Why is it necessary for you to live at home?
Reply 12

You've already asked this on another thread with answers. No London unis have parking. Traffic in the city if awful. There's no parking and it'll be too timely.
There's no medical schools close enough that's worth driving to.
Original post by Democracy

Why is it necessary for you to live at home?

It's not essential but i would like to. What about the oxbridge universities?

You would get college accommodation during the pre-clinical years afaik.
How far is not far from London OP?
Are you expecting you expecing it for free?
Presumably you wont be pauing any congestion charge either?
(edited 7 years ago)
What kind uni doesnt offer parking ? Sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know about Oxford, but at Cambridge you'd require special permission from the university just to keep a car within 10 miles of the city. And that's not going to happen unless you have some very valid reason, such as a disability.

Will you be telling them that parking was a major reason why you decided they were worthy of your application?

Couldnt you just use the chauffeur or buy someones nearby residential parking space?
Original post by SosbanFach
I don't know about Oxford, but at Cambridge you'd require special permission from the university just to keep a car within 10 miles of the city. And that's not going to happen unless you have some very valid reason, such as a disability.

College-dependent but essentially yes.

But presumably if OP were going to Oxford or Cambridge they wouldn't need his car as they wouldn't be living at home, it not being allowed and all.

Original post by Democracy
You would get college accommodation during the pre-clinical years afaik.

Or all 6 years if you dislike living in the real world :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending