The Student Room Group

Further Maths or French A level - Hoping to study Physics.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OGGUS
They don't actually always but the teacher's day at this level they may have some contradictions

So give us an example of a contradiction.
Reply 21
Original post by alow
So give us an example of a contradiction.

Ask my teacher's and i need to revise now and eat I'm hungry af
Reply 22
Original post by OGGUS
Ask my teacher's and i need to revise now and eat I'm hungry af

Stop ********ting.

Also you're clearly thick as **** judging by your spelling and grammar.
Reply 23
Original post by alow
Stop ********ting.

Also you're clearly thick as **** judging by your spelling and grammar.

I got a C in English why gotta be so mean and judgemental. I have feelings you know.
Reply 24
Original post by OGGUS
I got a C in English why gotta be so mean and judgemental. I have feelings you know.

Because you're spouting crap about something you know nothing about.
Reply 25
Original post by alow

Your a very nice person:angry:
Original post by Heirio
My dad is trying to convince me that taking this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, French] is more advantageous than this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths] when I'm applying to a University for Physics or getting a job in Physics.

Is there any advantage in taking the former when it comes to applying to universities and jobs concerning Physics?

I'm thinking of either studying Astrophysics or Quantum Mechanics. My dad argues that a French A level will be more useful than a Further Maths A level, because CERN is partially in French-Speaking countries.

further maths would be much more beneficial (itll make first year easier maths wise). Neither will benefit you more when getting a job in physics. Also you have to study QM its on of the main pillars of modern physics, you dont choose between astrophysics and QM, youd choose between astrophysics and other optional modules (these vary from uni to uni but at mine these would be nanophysics, biophysics, medical, some solid state physics, extra maths, and some condensed matter stuff)

Most of the people at cern come from all over the world so your dads arguement is flawed, plus theres a 99.99% youll never work there and will forget all the french you learnt at -level anyway as chances are youll be at cern after youre degree if you work there (during phd or further along in your career so 5+ years after A-levels fnish easily)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alow

Maybe he's talking about how general relativity and quantum mechanics contradict each other. That's not a physics/chemistry contradiction, though
Reply 28
Original post by Heirio
My dad is trying to convince me that taking this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, French] is more advantageous than this combination: [Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths] when I'm applying to a University for Physics or getting a job in Physics.

Is there any advantage in taking the former when it comes to applying to universities and jobs concerning Physics?

I'm thinking of either studying Astrophysics or Quantum Mechanics. My dad argues that a French A level will be more useful than a Further Maths A level, because CERN is partially in French-Speaking countries.

Do FM. You can always use your university language centre to develop your language skills if you want to.

CERN effectively operates in English anyway. Although yes locals (and therefore some non-science employees) will be speaking French and the Swiss part is also French speaking rather than German.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by OGGUS
Your a very nice person:angry:

You're*

And thank you :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by alow
You're*

And thank you :smile:

This arguing really waters my sandwich, please stop.

Quick Reply

Latest