The Student Room Group

Is accounting boring?

Hi.
I'm considering an offer to study a Bachelor of Laws along with a Bachelor of Commerce (in Accounting and Finance).
But I've been warned by both my parents and my friends that Accounting is an extremely dry subject with no room for innovation.
I am taking an online course on Accounting, and so far, I've really liked it. But of course, it's an online course on the basics, so I've really only grazed the surface of a few topics.
Now I love math. I like working with numbers. I love subjects which employ a systematic approach to problems. Accounting appeals to me especially because of the last point.
Do note that I want to become a lawyer, not an accountant, so the job side of things doesn't matter so much to me right now. It's essentially the courses that I'll be doing in university.
Would love an honest answer from someone who knows a lot about this subject. Maybe a person currently studying Accounts, or someone who did this at A level or someone who's an accountant.
Thank you so much for any responses!
I study accounting and finance and I find it really interesting. There are, of course, horrendously boring aspects to it, but that is the same with any course. I'm not sure what your parents do, but it doesn't sound like they know much about accounting at all.

Management accounting, although it has some theories and standard practices behind it, can generally be done in any way that meets the objective. Financial accounting, although more process based than management accounting is, also has different ways of accounting for various transactions. Both forms of accounting require significant judgement calls to be made and you really have to dig deep to understand the principles and concepts rather than just memorising how to account for certain things.

Honestly, I find it interesting to see how incomparable two sets of accounts can be and how little accounting is understood by the everyday-Joe. Studying accounting will definitely open you up to understanding the world around you better.
Original post by GoingToBurst
I study accounting and finance and I find it really interesting. There are, of course, horrendously boring aspects to it, but that is the same with any course.

Ahh that's good to know.

Management accounting, although it has some theories and standard practices behind it, can generally be done in any way that meets the objective. Financial accounting, although more process based than management accounting is, also has different ways of accounting for various transactions. Both forms of accounting require significant judgement calls to be made and you really have to dig deep to understand the principles and concepts rather than just memorising how to account for certain things.

Really? So you're saying that even while studying accounting, you'd have to make judgement calls? That's definitely interesting, and something I'd never heard about before. Thanks for providing me that perspective!

Honestly, I find it interesting to see how incomparable two sets of accounts can be and how little accounting is understood by the everyday-Joe. Studying accounting will definitely open you up to understanding the world around you better.

Well, that does sound very interesting actually.
What would you say is the general skill set that a person studying accountancy needs?
Original post by pinkisthefloyd

Really? So you're saying that even while studying accounting, you'd have to make judgement calls? That's definitely interesting, and something I'd never heard about before. Thanks for providing me that perspective!

Absolutely, a lot of accounting issues are to do with judgement calls. A significant portion of accounts are made up of estimated values. There are also different ways to account for the same things, which involves using judgement to decide which way is the most appropriate for that individual scenario. Accounting isn't as black and white as it is made out to be, there are lots of very hazy areas.

Original post by pinkisthefloyd
Well, that does sound very interesting actually.
What would you say is the general skill set that a person studying accountancy needs?

Yeah it's really interesting! It's very interesting to see how the media portrays accounts, how the average Joe interprets the information they've been given and what the actual underlying info actually is. It is often very different from what is implied.

An ability (and willingness) to analyse situations and solve the problem at hand. Problem solving and analytical skills are absolutely key. A basic understanding of maths is also ideal. Anything else applies to any course (oral and written communication etc).

The people on my course who struggle are those who fail to accept that accounting is not just a memorisation course. Lots of people think that they will start the course, be told that x+y = z and that'll be that. It's very different from that.
Accounting also involves a lot of theory when you get to honours level, so you need to be prepared to do a lot of reading (but as someone aspiring to do law, you already must be haha).
Try banking instead, it's just as boring but you can make serious paper at a young age

Quick Reply

Latest