The Student Room Group

Valid reason to not fast?

I've had a banging headache ALLL day.

I still have one now despite taking paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Honestly I have a bio a level exam tomorrow PM and i feel fasting again will worsen it esp since I won't be able to take medication. Lack of water will sure af make it worse.

Also I need to stay awake tonight to finish revising andI can't without caffeine (I know this one is my fault for not revising earlier) and I need good marks still.

My mum said its not a good enough reason because she had taken exams whilst fasting and being in pain at the same time therefore it's definitiely not permissible and I shouldn't even be asking the question.

I don't know what to do now, I know my mum said no but logically it seems like imma fail bio if I fast. On the flip side I don't wanna incur Allahs wrath/ I don't want Allah to take barkat away while I'm supposed to be sitting exam.

Anyway suhoor ended 2:36 and I haven't eaten since then just in case Imma be keeping this fast.. So what shall I do...

Muslim POV would be appreciated in terms of weighing up barkat vs logic.
I'm not fasting the day of the exam's simple as.
You can give food/money to a poor person somewhere and they can fast for you. ( what your meant to do if you dont fast); if your worries about allahs wrath,
Otherwise education is important and you fasting should affect it. How can you get useful to islam, if you have no education cos you were fasting. Honestly you have a valid reason, just eat and work on your exam.
Don't advise pulling an all nighter for revision, especially the night before the exam. You had the whole year to revise lmao

And as anon 2 said, if you don't want to fast - don't. Give money to charity and make up for it later.
Is an atheist's point of view welcome?
I also have bio AS exam tomorrow, I'm not fasting- my head was spinning today with no brekkie, I need to eat to concentrate, it's up to you! You can always make up for them later.
So what if you have an exam? Doesn't make you exempt from fasting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't fast if it is making you ill.

But... Something tells me that if you sleep you won't have these problems. Pulling an allnighter is no good even if you have your caffeine. By the time it's 1pm, you'll be so drained and you'll ask yourself why you did it.

It's your call though.
well technically that's not a good enough reason for you to not fast but I get what you mean,
maybe keep the fast and see how long you can go for:h: bearing in mind that people in places where its really hot have to fast and some still have to go out to work under the sun aswell so that they can have something for their family to eat at iftaar,..
anyway, Good luck with bio I have it aswell:redface:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not fasting the day of the exam's simple as.
You can give food/money to a poor person somewhere and they can fast for you. ( what your meant to do if you dont fast); if your worries about allahs wrath,
Otherwise education is important and you fasting should affect it. How can you get useful to islam, if you have no education cos you were fasting. Honestly you have a valid reason, just eat and work on your exam.

Thank you

Original post by samina_ay
Don't advise pulling an all nighter for revision, especially the night before the exam. You had the whole year to revise lmao

And as anon 2 said, if you don't want to fast - don't. Give money to charity and make up for it later.

I'm used to all nighters, it works for me if I haven't done revision.
I know loool tf was I doing all year tbh I have done some revision soo

Original post by XOR_
Is an atheist's point of view welcome?

Sure, just don't be disrespectful

Original post by PrincessPB
So what if you have an exam? Doesn't make you exempt from fasting

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what my mum said.
It's about the condition I'm in not just having an exam.

Original post by Legendary Quest
Don't fast if it is making you ill.

But... Something tells me that if you sleep you won't have these problems. Pulling an allnighter is no good even if you have your caffeine. By the time it's 1pm, you'll be so drained and you'll ask yourself why you did it.

It's your call though.

You're right :/
Although i slept last night and I had a headache idk why it's so bad.
I've done it for other exams: in my experience it's been better to pull an all mightier and know my stuff than sleep well and know only half the content.
Reply 9
Original post by Ishea16
well technically that's not a good enough reason for you to not fast but I get what you mean,
maybe keep the fast and see how long you can go for:h: bearing in mind that people in places where its really hot have to fast and some still have to go out to work under the sun aswell so that they can have something for their family to eat at iftaar,..
anyway, Good luck with bio I have it aswell:redface:

Lol Ikr I feel so bad for ppl long in hot countries, cause I went on holidays for like the whole of summer last ur obviously it crossed over in ramadan and I had to keep fasts obviously I just sat in the AC all day lol everytime I went out it was painful.

I cant help being ill I have bare headaches for a few days now and I have to keep taking medication, it's difficult to concentration when in pain let alone with added fasting that's really why :/
If it's not valid then it's not valid I guess I'll have to fast then.

Sure, just don't be disrespectful

You shouldn't be fasting because your mum tells you to fast,
it seems as though your fasting for your mother rather than the religion outright
and if that is the case, then drink up.
Reply 11
I don't think it's wise to pull an all nighter especially when you haven't taken caffeine. You'll just end up feeling tired in the morning.
Take a small nap at least.

You should still fast, because exams isn't a valid reason to miss fasting. However if you suffer from migraines during the day, or any other severe problem you are allowed to break the fast.

Whether you fast or not is up to you, but even if you make it up again, you won't get the same reward you would get during Ramadan, so I would advise you to fast today and have faith in Allah.
Original post by XOR_
You shouldn't be fasting because your mum tells you to fast,
it seems as though your fasting for your mother rather than the religion outright
and if that is the case, then drink up.

No I am fasting for myself lol I could easily break my fast and hide it from my mum. What I'm saying is... Is it that what I should be doing in this scenario where I'm having an issue with a certain fast.

I'm going to fast and see how I feel at midday and take it from there.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

@HAnwar Yh I used to get really bad migraine s I have only had them intermittently these recent drew months but certain things can trigger them. Tbh I have kept fasts during migraines and nausea before it's just I don't want both facts affecting my exams... Normally id just sleep throug it if Im ill ygm
I have migranes too, why do you have these migranes, mine are from lack of sleep and other illnesses. Sometimes Jinns pop up as well. And I get scared. But I look away and read Ayatً al Kursi. Have you tried Ruqyah btw?
I've had a banging headache ALLL day.

I still have one now despite taking paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Honestly I have a bio a level exam tomorrow PM and i feel fasting again will worsen it esp since I won't be able to take medication. Lack of water will sure af make it worse.

Also I need to stay awake tonight to finish revising andI can't without caffeine (I know this one is my fault for not revising earlier) and I need good marks still.

My mum said its not a good enough reason because she had taken exams whilst fasting and being in pain at the same time therefore it's definitiely not permissible and I shouldn't even be asking the question.

I don't know what to do now, I know my mum said no but logically it seems like imma fail bio if I fast. On the flip side I don't wanna incur Allahs wrath/ I don't want Allah to take barkat away while I'm supposed to be sitting exam.

Anyway suhoor ended 2:36 and I haven't eaten since then just in case Imma be keeping this fast.. So what shall I do...

Muslim POV would be appreciated in terms of weighing up barkat vs logic.

I am not religious but I will try my best to help and be respectful.

Do you have a religious leader of some sort (like a christian viccar or priest) you could consult? It seems to me you are unwell and I believe there is normally a clause in fasting for that, but i'm not sure if there are any specific things you would have to do (like one person said getting somebody else to fast for you).

I would like to think that Allah will be understanding of your situation and know that you are not doing it out of disrespect for him but out of worry about your own wellbeing. It is up to how you (and your religion) see Allah and his rules though.

Does fasting for you include not drinking? If so maybe you could half fast and not eat but still drink. You sound like you are already dehydrated and fasting could make things a lot worse. Drinking would at least be something even if you just drink water or squash.
I assume fasting has already started so you can't pig out now to give youself a little boost?

If you do fast I don't suggest an all nighter as i'm worried it may make you ill for your exam. Getting some sleep will mean buring less energy and hopefully mean you have enough energy for your exam.

You may also be able to talk to your school and see if they can help you at all. There is a chance they may be able to give you some time in the middle to get fresh air or something.

Quick Reply

Latest