The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Lol. What is with the hurt attitude? Did you do Bio-med?

I cba to waste time arguing with you since your opinion nor mine really matters here. The issues the remain camp need to address, which have been in the works for a LONG time are:

European expansion: Turkey, Ukraine and Balkan states (former in particular)
Freedom of movement: Has a massive effect on public services and saturates job market
Lack of democracy: yeah we vote for them but there is very very little accountability or transparency with it, the commission is pretty much a rubber stamp.

and most worryingly an agenda which has little or no consent of a notable size of european populations, ever closer unions, european armies, federalisation and Trans-Pacific partnership. It is literally the dream whipped by people like junker who think that the nation state cannot exist within the 21st century because their countries are crumbling at the seems without it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by infairverona
People are just selfish. How often do we go on holiday, maybe once a year? Even if you need a visa for that once a year it's not much to ask. I'm so sick of students in the UK saying 'oh but I like having the freedom to go and live and work and study in the EU' how come you're a student here in the UK then? Fact is we don't really go and study abroad because a lot of EU countries teach in their own language, which we will rarely be able to speak, and similar for working. People all over Europe speak English though so they can definitely move, live, study here more easily than we can in their countries. All of the reasons to remain seem extremely selfish to me and none of them are strong arguments either, it's either people who don't want to lose 'benefits' that they don't even make use of, or people who are too scared to leave an established union which is going to go under now anyway

I have american and canadian friends who go on holiday to europe with no issue. The whole holiday visa thing is a complete non-issue just dressed up. Its the same thing about 'working in all 28 countries' when in reality to maintain the standard of living we have in the UK the only real options are reduced to about 6 countries. Thats not also taking into account the language barrier also. If there was a massive need for somebody to work there just get a visa its not all as difficult as people make out.
Reply 182
Lol. What is with the hurt attitude? Did you do Bio-med?

Sorry, you still haven't answered whether you work for the NHS?
Well, like most things, it is based on half-truths. Things are not perfect but leaving the EU will not improve them.

I already said this was incorrect. The EP can amend and reject legislation

The EC has a British representative that is chosen by the UK Government and the EC creates legislation. Saying the UK has no representatives is just made up.

if it isn't supposed to work in the UK's interests though, can it really be a UK representative?

No, of course it can not.

Don't be in denial and stupid.
People are just selfish. How often do we go on holiday, maybe once a year? Even if you need a visa for that once a year it's not much to ask. I'm so sick of students in the UK saying 'oh but I like having the freedom to go and live and work and study in the EU' how come you're a student here in the UK then? Fact is we don't really go and study abroad because a lot of EU countries teach in their own language, which we will rarely be able to speak, and similar for working. People all over Europe speak English though so they can definitely move, live, study here more easily than we can in their countries. All of the reasons to remain seem extremely selfish to me and none of them are strong arguments either, it's either people who don't want to lose 'benefits' that they don't even make use of, or people who are too scared to leave an established union which is going to go under now anyway

Not needing a visa to go to an EU country is still a way better reason to vote remain than patriotism is to vote leave, lmao. Which one affects people's career paths? Life plans? Leisure time?
People voting remain aren't thinking beyond the end of their noses. I've seen a sickening number of people saying they're voting remain because 'they don't want a visa when they go on holiday'. Selfish beyond belief

Around £730 million of EU money is spent on research, development and innovation in the UK every year.

Do you not find it selfish that leave campaigners seem to have little to no regard for the huge funding deficit that would occur in the event of a Brexit? Have you people any idea how detrimental this would be to the livelihood and work of our scientists, engineers, and mathematicians?

People have vested interests, and the smarter people of this country realise that patriotism is not one of them.
Original post by XcitingStuart
if it isn't supposed to work in the UK's interests though, can it really be a UK representative?

No, of course it can not.

Don't be in denial and stupid.

Well, obviously, he is. Otherwise he wouldn't be chosen. They don't pick anyone.
Original post by EuanF
Sorry, you still haven't answered whether you work for the NHS?

Oh, I thought it wasn't clear before. None of your business.
Reply 188
Oh, I thought it wasn't clear before. None of your business.

Why so cagey?

Original post by tanyapotter
Around £730 million of EU money is spent on research, development and innovation in the UK every year.

Do you not find it selfish that leave campaigners seem to have little to no regard for the huge funding deficit that would occur in the event of a Brexit? Have you people any idea how detrimental this would be to the livelihood and work of our scientists, engineers, and mathematicians?

People have vested interests, and the smarter people of this country realise that patriotism is not one of them.

Do you realise that most European science funding is not an EU fund, it is a European fund, hence many non-EU nations benefit from it? Do you realise that any point about the EU giving us money is automatically moot because we send the EU more than they give us back?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
The first honest remainer huzzah!

Poor people remaining poor regardless is simply not true. Capitalism raises people out of poverty. What keeps people poor is strangling small business, and people being constricted to spending their monthly wages on rent will keep people poor and create much higher numbers of poor.

If you have money, its a perfect scenario.. like shooting fish in a barrel.

Im not sure how our tax system is set up to keep people poor? (The over generous welfare state perhaps but income tax?)

Well, that might be true in the developed world. The reality is that across the developed world, wages have remained stagnant from a number of years because of Globalism. That is a trend that is only going to continue. So if you are poor in Britain, you are going to remain poor.

The point about the tax system was that it is designed to allow corporations to avoid tax. That is why for the last twenty years companies like Apple have been using Ireland to pay close to zero tax.
Original post by EuanF
Why so cagey?

Don't like stalkers.

Maybe you should be less cagey and answer why you want to know.
I'm personally not taking the polls at face value, because god knows how wrong they were about the general election last year, but we'll see.

People like looking at the GE polls, but like ignoring the accuracy at the Scottish, Welsh, and local elections last month. Of course with the EU it is nowhere near as simple given it's such an abnormal case for the polling agencies, but I would give them more credence than most seem to, and that was even when they were showing heavy remain leads.

Given the polls understated the Tories and overstated Labour the error would be in favour of remaining anyway
Well, obviously, he is. Otherwise he wouldn't be chosen. They don't pick anyone.

Are you being dull?

Being a quite well-read native speaker of the English language, I don't need a dictionary, be it an on-line version or a hard copy, to understand what the words "to represent" or "representative" mean. But I'm going to have to quote definitions from Google Search (sourced from Oxford Pocket Dictionary, I believe), not for my benefit, but yours.

I quote the definitions I subjectively deem only relevant.

"to represent"
1. be entitled or appointed to act or speak for (someone), especially in an official capacity.

"representative"
1. a person chosen or appointed to act or speak for another or others, in particular:

From these definitions I deduce that the UK's appointed European Commissioner has never been a representative for the UK, because the European Commissioner has never spoken on our behalf (as opposed on the EU's.)

Can you not?

This isn't a subjective matter; you are semantically wrong just by the general usage of the conjoined syllables of "representative".

Otherwise he wouldn't be chosen.

Mayhaps the EU was designed in this way to placate member states.
I don't claim to know the reasons in this regard.

They don't pick anyone.

But the UK doesn't also pick no one.
Are you................s of "representative".

Mayhaps the EU was designed in this way to placate member states.
I don't claim to know the reasons in this regard.

But the UK doesn't also pick no one.

Try replying to the point instead of rambling.

It isn't my issue that you think the UK would appoint someone that has no interest in the UK. IF that was the case then the EU would just appoint all of the Commissioners instead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Try replying to the point instead of rambling.

It isn't my issue that you think the UK would appoint someone that has no interest in the UK. IF that was the case then the EU would just appoint all of the Commissioners instead.

Don't be so one-dimensional.

And you're the one who made me resort to copying and pasting definitions off the Internet.

Blame yourself for my rambling.

Oh ffs read the oath they swear upon admission:
http://ec.europa.eu/commission/2014-2019/cretu/blog/oath-independence_en <<< Found here
Don't be so one-dimensional.

And you're the one who made me resort to copying and pasting definitions off the Internet.

Blame yourself for my rambling.

Oh ffs read the oath they swear upon admission:
http://ec.europa.eu/commission/2014-2019/cretu/blog/oath-independence_en <<< Found here

I didn't make you do anything.

Your logic is like saying that Cabinet ministers forget about their constituents after they give an oath to the Queen.
I didn't make you do anything.

Your logic is like saying that Cabinet ministers forget about their constituents after they give an oath to the Queen.

You are being unreasonably thick and blinded right now.

They are supposed to work in the EU's interest to be a commissioner.
They are supposed to work in our interest to be a UK representative.
They are mutually exclusive.

G2g so I can't reply in full.
Original post by EuanF
Why so cagey?

Do you realise that most European science funding is not an EU fund, it is a European fund, hence many non-EU nations benefit from it? Do you realise that any point about the EU giving us money is automatically moot because we send the EU more than they give us back?

You can't honestly say leaving the EU will have NO effect on funding just because we pay for EU membership. That's the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever heard and that's not how it works. Just recently, Switzerland (a non-EU European country) voted to restrict the movement of European citizens, and as a result the EU slashed its research and development funding substantially.

Besides the funding aspect, every sane human being KNOWS that the EU is a huge pool of talent, and when you put all these intelligent, innovative, like-minded individuals together to solve global challenges through scientific research, that's what keeps countries like this at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and developments. That's what grows our economy. We would not be the fifth biggest economy in the world if it weren't for our excellent education and research, and Brexiters aren't being cautious about this at all - I've heard almost no conversation from your leave campaign about who is going to pay for our R&D if we leave - but that doesn't surprise me since the whole Brexit campaign is based on lies, scaremongering and ambiguity. Do the Tories not look like a party that would immediately turn to research funding cuts (40%, to be exact) during austerity?
(edited 7 years ago)
When push comes to shove, I believe that the majority of undecided voters will realise that economic and job security is more important to them and their families than "taking back control" and what not, and they will vote to remain. Do people think Britain will leave or stay on the 23rd?

There's always an element of fear voting for the unknown, so it's plausible that even people telling the pollsters they will vote Leave will actually on the day, confronted with the paper, vote Remain.

A bigger danger though is that people will just stay at home. The Brexit side have been presenting this more and more as an infight within the Tory Party (and that is largely true anyway as that is how this whole thing started) and many voters simply don't care about that. There is also the issue that people will be sick and tired of the whole thing - many already are and we still have another 16 days of brainless drivel to go. :rolleyes:
Yea I also think so. I don't think people are much willing to take risks. Take the case of Scotland for example, people wanted the Scotland to become an independent country but at the same time they were scared of all the uncertainties. I hope the UK remains in the EU. Workers of the EU unite hhaha

Quick Reply

Latest