The Student Room Group

BUSS3 14th June 2016

Any predictions? How is everyone revising for it? Any useful resources?
Bee Business Bee on youtube is probably my favourite revision source... Just learning all my ratio analysis and ill probably go over a few key concept for each section (marketing, finance, HR and Ops man) then the main bit is exam technique.... all you need to be able to do is put a point together, don't need to do too much revision for business in my eyes.
Reply 2
Original post by splashywill
Bee Business Bee on youtube is probably my favourite revision source... Just learning all my ratio analysis and ill probably go over a few key concept for each section (marketing, finance, HR and Ops man) then the main bit is exam technique.... all you need to be able to do is put a point together, don't need to do too much revision for business in my eyes.

Oh yeah I checked out some of those videos, pretty good tbh. Yeah thats true. I've always struggled with business though. What did you get at AS? If you don't mind me asking.
Original post by safiyyah98
Oh yeah I checked out some of those videos, pretty good tbh. Yeah thats true. I've always struggled with business though. What did you get at AS? If you don't mind me asking.

what exam border is this ?
Reply 4
Original post by Roadrunner55
what exam border is this ?

AQA
I'm going to solely focus on buss3 on Saturday leaving me 3 days.is this enough or should I revise some before alongside revising for 5 other exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by safiyyah98

Sorry I forgot to reply- I got a B last year but i re-sat BUSS2 and hopefully I brought my overall grade up to an A.
Reply 7
Original post by martinnmartin
I'm going to solely focus on buss3 on Saturday leaving me 3 days.is this enough or should I revise some before alongside revising for 5 other exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That should be okay because buss3 is more about exam skill
Business is a very weird A Level in my opinion. I always feel like I've not done enough 'work' or 'revision', because really, technique is the most important thing. Once you've nailed your technique, providing you have a relatively decent understanding of the topics and a dose of common sense, you can usually get through the exam with a decent grade. Realistically, if you have good technique, the best thing to do is watch those videos, go over any financial tools you're unsure of and read model answers. If you don't have good technique - this should be your prime focus.

PANEL (point, analysis, evidence, link) tends to work best and this is what was advised by tutor2u during the revision day. Make your point (it can be broad - you need to make sure everything in your paragraph can relate to it so be careful with your wording). Next, bring in analysis. Form a chain of argument that is somewhat good. I'd say a good 90% of examiners will skim over the papers. If they spot technical terms, connectives and perhaps a bit of theory, then you're much likely to score higher. Your analysis doesn't need to be amazing - just take it through a few stages of connectives and build up what you're trying to say. After analysis, bring in evidence (ie application from the case study). Sometimes, this can be integrated into your analysis but tutor2u advise making them two distinct sections. To get good application, make a calculation - as long as this calculation is relevant to your point (no point calculating gearing if you're talking about the success of a marketing strategy in most cases) then you'll get good. If you can't do a calculation, combine ideas. Perhaps some data on an increase in labour turnover combined with increasing customer complaint rates can suggest quality is falling due to the increased workload on existing employees. Finally, make a link back to the question and show a little evaluation. A common way to do this is to use an 'it depends on' factor. For example, a question discussing the suitability of profit sharing is likely to depend on the finance department and the budgetary controls provided to HRM. If you spot financial concern, then mention this and how it may impact the success of the strategy. Then use the words of the question to close your point - "this clearly shows how this is not the best way for the business to achieve success" for example. Do this 2 times per 18 marker, and 4 times per 36 marker.

Then evaluate at the end of each question. Make sure this is based on prior analysis and is of a high standard - a lot of marks count for evaluation and a lot of students overlook it. AJIM (answer, justification, it depends on, most important) is a common strategy used to form evaluations. First, answer the question. Do you agree or disagree? Use the words of the question to ensure you are actually evaluating what is required. Next, justify. Sum up your main points that led you to pick this option over the other while comparing the downsides of the other. Ideally, this should be built on what you've discussed earlier so avoid bringing in new points. Next, evaluate what could perhaps hinder your decision from being the best using 'it depends on'. Consider the other functional areas, any external factors such as the economy and the industry circumstances when making these. The most common is usually to link to the finance department and whether an option is financially suitable. Finally, state the most important factor in your decision. What ultimately swayed your decision the most, and why is this relevant? Think of the business's corporate objectives - it could well be that this is the best way of meeting them which is arguably the most important factor for many businesses.
Original post by ryanroks1
Business is a very weird A Level in my opinion. I always feel like I've not done enough 'work' or 'revision', because really, technique is the most important thing. Once you've nailed your technique, providing you have a relatively decent understanding of the topics and a dose of common sense, you can usually get through the exam with a decent grade. Realistically, if you have good technique, the best thing to do is watch those videos, go over any financial tools you're unsure of and read model answers. If you don't have good technique - this should be your prime focus.

PANEL (point, analysis, evidence, link) tends to work best and this is what was advised by tutor2u during the revision day. Make your point (it can be broad - you need to make sure everything in your paragraph can relate to it so be careful with your wording). Next, bring in analysis. Form a chain of argument that is somewhat good. I'd say a good 90% of examiners will skim over the papers. If they spot technical terms, connectives and perhaps a bit of theory, then you're much likely to score higher. Your analysis doesn't need to be amazing - just take it through a few stages of connectives and build up what you're trying to say. After analysis, bring in evidence (ie application from the case study). Sometimes, this can be integrated into your analysis but tutor2u advise making them two distinct sections. To get good application, make a calculation - as long as this calculation is relevant to your point (no point calculating gearing if you're talking about the success of a marketing strategy in most cases) then you'll get good. If you can't do a calculation, combine ideas. Perhaps some data on an increase in labour turnover combined with increasing customer complaint rates can suggest quality is falling due to the increased workload on existing employees. Finally, make a link back to the question and show a little evaluation. A common way to do this is to use an 'it depends on' factor. For example, a question discussing the suitability of profit sharing is likely to depend on the finance department and the budgetary controls provided to HRM. If you spot financial concern, then mention this and how it may impact the success of the strategy. Then use the words of the question to close your point - "this clearly shows how this is not the best way for the business to achieve success" for example. Do this 2 times per 18 marker, and 4 times per 36 marker.

Then evaluate at the end of each question. Make sure this is based on prior analysis and is of a high standard - a lot of marks count for evaluation and a lot of students overlook it. AJIM (answer, justification, it depends on, most important) is a common strategy used to form evaluations. First, answer the question. Do you agree or disagree? Use the words of the question to ensure you are actually evaluating what is required. Next, justify. Sum up your main points that led you to pick this option over the other while comparing the downsides of the other. Ideally, this should be built on what you've discussed earlier so avoid bringing in new points. Next, evaluate what could perhaps hinder your decision from being the best using 'it depends on'. Consider the other functional areas, any external factors such as the economy and the industry circumstances when making these. The most common is usually to link to the finance department and whether an option is financially suitable. Finally, state the most important factor in your decision. What ultimately swayed your decision the most, and why is this relevant? Think of the business's corporate objectives - it could well be that this is the best way of meeting them which is arguably the most important factor for many businesses.

Thanks
Make sure to understand how to analyse all the ratios in ratio analysis!! also payback ARR and NPV are very important to know.
Exam technique is also very important and you don't really need to know too much actual theory to get by....

Also knowing how much time to spend on each question/planning is so important...

Do all of this and you'll be fine.
Hello,

I've literally not studied BUSS3 at all. Nothing, even content wise. I am self teaching and left business studying out of the way as I was concentrating on Economics & Maths.

Could someone please tell me they key topics I should learn and are likely to come up?

I'm aware this is the last BUSS3 exam for old spec therefore any topics that haven't been covered over previous exams will come up in this exam. Does anyone know what they are if there are any that haven't been covered previously.

Also, any advice on where to start with my revision. Literally have two days.

Thank you
Marketing
- Marketing objectives - aims tactics and strategies
- Marketing plans - factors that influence the marketing plan
- Porter's generic strategies, Ansoff's matrix, Boston matrix
- Analysing marketing data in order to predict trends - Extrapolation, moving averages
- How marketing budgets/objectives affect HRM, finance and operations

HRM
- HRM objectives/strategies/tactics
- The recruitment process - applications, training etc.
- Organisational structures - matrix, hierarchal, informal, project
- Leadership styles and cultures - Autocratic/democratic/laizez fayre
- Industrial actions - trade unions/employee relations
- Charles Handy Shamrock - core, outsourcing, peripheral workers
- Soft/hard HRM

Operations
- Operational objectives/strategies/tactics
- Lean production - Kaizen, CPA analysis
- Distribution channels - how they may affect production
- JIT/JIC methods of production
- Optimal location - qualitative/quantitative factors
- Capital/Labour intensive production - optimal resource mix
- Innovation, patents, copyright R&D methods
- Measuring quality - TQM, Kaizen

Finance
- Financial objectives/strategies
- ARR, NPV, Payback period and relevant calculations
- Ratio analysis/assessing liquidity of business
- Gearing/Asset/stock/debtors/recievables turnover & calculations
- Cash flow forecasts/balance sheets/income statements
- Sources of finance - loans, share capital, retained profit
- Profit centres
- Cost minimalisation
- Allocating budgets - capital/revenue expenditures

That's all I can remember off of the top of my head - there may be more! But remember, it's about HOW these four work together in the business. HOW each of these things may affect other areas, the budgets, and the initial corporate aim of the business. Always link back to the question and the case study...
Original post by deenattireco
Hello,

I've literally not studied BUSS3 at all. Nothing, even content wise. I am self teaching and left business studying out of the way as I was concentrating on Economics & Maths.

Could someone please tell me they key topics I should learn and are likely to come up?

I'm aware this is the last BUSS3 exam for old spec therefore any topics that haven't been covered over previous exams will come up in this exam. Does anyone know what they are if there are any that haven't been covered previously.

Also, any advice on where to start with my revision. Literally have two days.

Thank you

Oh my god saaame! I focused on Maths and Accounting. Im watching the Bee Business Bee videos on youtube. and i think me and you both should focus on exam technique rather than content!!!
Original post by Sstar123
Oh my god saaame! I focused on Maths and Accounting. Im watching the Bee Business Bee videos on youtube. and i think me and you both should focus on exam technique rather than content!!!

lot's of help on tutor2u/business, including key topics to revise for tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending