The Student Room Group

Edexcel: From kaiser to fuhrer 1900-1945, his03/d exam friday 10th june 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by louise.18
Doesn't anyone think that the Second Reich will come up in terms of whether it was a democracy or autocracy?? Because It hasn't come up for a long time. I'm just going to focus on that and the Weimar.

Well the Second Reich did come up last year so I do sense that it may be unlikely
Doesn't anyone think that the Second Reich will come up in terms of whether it was a democracy or autocracy?? Because It hasn't come up for a long time. I'm just going to focus on that and the Weimar.

How much of the Weimar have you done?
Original post by Annie.humair
How much of the Weimar have you done?

I've done the whole of the Weimar, but am focussing more on the later years
Original post by eddso
Well the Second Reich did come up last year so I do sense that it may be unlikely

Yes, but that was in terms of social and economic growth which is different.They haven't asked about democracy/autocracy since 2012.
Reply 244
Yes, but that was in terms of social and economic growth which is different.They haven't asked about democracy/autocracy since 2012.

I know but there's many other topics they haven't asked on yet and I think it's unlikely they'll ask about 2nd Reich twice in a row
I've done the whole of the Weimar, but am focussing more on the later years

Could you possibly help me then please?
Sorry to be a pain 😅
Reply 246
They may ask on opposition and which was the greatest threat who knows
Could you possibly help me then please?
Sorry to be a pain 😅

Sure!
Sure!

Thank you 😘
So if a question asked about the golden years how would I go about answering it?
And is a question on the golden years asking the same thing in the answer as it would for a question on Streseman? X
Thank you 😘
So if a question asked about the golden years how would I go about answering it?
And is a question on the golden years asking the same thing in the answer as it would for a question on Streseman? X

This is the closest plan I have to that question: "How far do you agree with the view that, in the years 1919–29, the democratic experiment in Germany mustbe seen as a success?"
Original post by sixschmidt
This is the closest plan I have to that question: "How far do you agree with the view that, in the years 1919–29, the democratic experiment in Germany mustbe seen as a success?"

Thank you. Though I am specifically looking for 1924-29 and Stresemann. It would be great if you had any advice on how to tackle a question on that
Thank you 😘

Yes, they are. But if its on Stresmann specifically then you need to make sure you link the effects of his economic policies to political consequences e.g. the Young Plan led to DNVP and NSDAP joining forces to oppose it (instability)

For a question on the golden years I would write about:

1. Stresemann's foreign policy: e.g. revisions of the Treaty Of Versailles and re-starting reparations payments through the Dawes and Young Plan. The positive effects this had on the German economy e.g. French evacuating the Rhineland, surge in production and economic growth, and how this economic revival facilitated the introduction of social reforms (Unemployment Insurance Law 1927) and increased standards of living. This would suggest 1924-29 were 'golden' and more stable.

2. The limitations of Stresemann's policy: e.g reliant on US loans, unemployment, social tensions, poor agricultural sector. This would suggest that economically these years only appeared to be stable because in the years prior (1919-23) the economic situation had been so bad.

3. Weimar culture

4. Political stability: absence of political uprisings, more support for democracy (elections), Hindenburg appointing SPD chancellor/Grand Coalition

5. Political instability: Immature party politics - SPD not willing to work with other parties, govts brought down by trivial issues e.g. the colours of the German flag, extremist support high in 1928 election, Hindenburg excluding SPD and insisting on DVP inclusion in coalitions, Freedom law to oppose the Young Plan (gave Hitler exposure)

Conclusion: comparative to early years of the Weimar, 1924-29 were more stable, but not completely stable as structural weaknesses of the political system remained and monetary stability brought about by Stresemann disguised worsening industrial relations and unemployment

Hope this is of use!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sixschmidt

Sorry I can't open it would you mind copying and pasting it?
Yes, they are. But if its on Stresmann specifically then you need to make sure you link the effects of his economic policies to political consequences e.g. the Young Plan led to DNVP and NSDAP joining forces to oppose it (instability)

For a question on the golden years I would write about:

1. Stresemann's foreign policy: e.g. revisions of the Treaty Of Versailles and re-starting reparations payments through the Dawes and Young Plan. The positive effects this had on the German economy e.g. French evacuating the Rhineland, surge in production and economic growth, and how this economic revival facilitated the introduction of social reforms (Unemployment Insurance Law 1927) and increased standards of living. This would suggest 1924-29 were 'golden' and more stable.

2. The limitations of Stresemann's policy: e.g reliant on US loans, unemployment, social tensions, poor agricultural sector. This would suggest that economically these years only appeared to be stable because in the years prior (1919-23) the economic situation had been so bad.

3. Weimar culture

4. Political stability: absence of political uprisings, more support for democracy (elections), Hindenburg appointing SPD chancellor/Grand Coalition

5. Political instability: Immature party politics - SPD not willing to work with other parties, govts brought down by trivial issues e.g. the colours of the German flag, extremist support high in 1928 election, Hindenburg excluding SPD and insisting on DVP inclusion in coalitions, Freedom law to oppose the Young Plan (gave Hitler exposure)

Conclusion: comparative to early years of the Weimar, 1924-29 were more stable, but not completely stable as structural weaknesses of the political system remained and monetary stability brought about by Stresemann disguised worsening industrial relations and unemployment

Hope this is of use!

Thank you, this is great!!
Would I not mention anything in social change ie housing, women and youth.
X
What kind of questions would they ask about Germany during the second world war?
Thank you, this is great!!
Would I not mention anything in social change ie housing, women and youth.
X

Yep you can also mention those as well. x
Does anyone know how you would answer 'Germany achieved a war economy in peacetime?' How far do you agree?

Literally have no information on this! Thanks x
Reply 257
Original post by katiiieghjkl
Does anyone know how you would answer 'Germany achieved a war economy in peacetime?' How far do you agree?

I don't think this will come up as a question because it's asking about the peacetime years which don't fall into 1939-1945

If anything the contentor this will fall under the controversy
Reply 258
Original post by Mowerharvey
What kind of questions would they ask about Germany during the second world war?

Severity of opposition
Strength of morale
Successful or failing war economy
Evolution of the final solution
Original post by katiiieghjkl

They can ask about the war economy during ww2. The information on it is on pages 209-215. Hope that helps X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending