The Student Room Group

Should Turkey be allowed to join the EU?

It's obvious that debate is needed to kickstart the MEU, so every couple of days or so we'll try and debate a new topic and see how it goes.

For this one, Should Turkey be allowed to join the European Union?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.
Reply 2
Original post by ivybridge
No.

Okay, but why?

(Just to be clear I'm going to remain neutral throughout this debate)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The EU is doomed if it lets in Turkey, which is good, but if the UK is still a member of the EU, then the UK would be doomed as well.
Mass immigration, with an even closer gateway to war torn country

Somehow, I don't think so!
UK needs to leave and stop anymore immigrants coming - its getting too crowded as it is. I'm not bothered as to whether Turkey join or not, as long as the UK have left by then.
Reply 6
The ultimate objective for the EU should be to grow and look for ever closer political union until it becomes a single country. Much like the ultimate objectives for the AU and USAN should be as well.

Ideally we would want to see a similar thing happen in Australasia, Asia and North America but due to the larger countries there already I doubt this will happen any time soon.

So yes turkey should join the EU, as should: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Lichtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, San Marino, Serbia, Ukraine and Switzerland. (Or some of them should join the EEU with Russia but I'd prefer them in the EU)

However turkey should sort itself out first...
Original post by Aph
The ultimate objective for the EU should be to grow and look for ever closer political union until it becomes a single country. Much like the ultimate objectives for the AU and USAN should be as well.

Ideally we would want to see a similar thing happen in Australasia, Asia and North America but due to the larger countries there already I doubt this will happen any time soon.

So yes turkey should join the EU, as should: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Lichtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, San Marino, Serbia, Ukraine and Switzerland. (Or some of them should join the EEU with Russia but I'd prefer them in the EU)

However turkey should sort itself out first...

Yes, let's invite Greece clones into the EU to bring it down entirely, destroy the value of the Euro and trigger immigration in the millions.

Also Norway and Ukraine - what makes you think they want to join the EU? It doesn't benefit them.

Russia, Belarus and Serbia joining the EU.. ****ing LMAO never going to happen
Reply 8
Original post by popcornjpg
Yes, let's invite Greece clones into the EU to bring it down entirely, destroy the value of the Euro and trigger immigration in the millions.

Also Norway and Ukraine - what makes you think they want to join the EU? It doesn't benefit them.

1) I didn't say Russia should join.
2) I didn't say the countries want to but they should.
3) and immigration isn't bad...
Original post by popcornjpg

I notice you support leaving the EU. Would you like to join the EFDD, an anti-EU party, in the Model EU?
Original post by Unown Uzer
I notice you support leaving the EU. Would you like to join the EFDD, an anti-EU party, in the Model EU?

Sure, why not.
This was already done to death last week. Why do you need a new thread on it?
Turkey should only be able to join if it complies with the normal standards for joining (democracy, compliance with human rights, signing ECHR), which it doesn't at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending