The Student Room Group

My boyfriend smells bad.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Are you stinky and ugly?

Apparently :cry:
I think this is something you need to delicately bring up.
If I smelled I would want someone to tell me (I would be incredibly embarrassed but I would then know!) I think maybe the embarrassment of him being told might be enough to kick him into action.

Just be delicate about it, there's a chance he may react badly :/

Good Luck OP!
You can't smell what doesn't exist
Original post by Tabstercat
What I don't get is how you get in a 3 year relationship with a guy who doesn't wash

He hasn't always been like this to be fair, but I understand your point 😂
Original post by rubybrown1234
I think this is something you need to delicately bring up.
If I smelled I would want someone to tell me (I would be incredibly embarrassed but I would then know!) I think maybe the embarrassment of him being told might be enough to kick him into action.

Just be delicate about it, there's a chance he may react badly :/

Good Luck OP!

I've been as delicate as I can, he still gets moody. Do you think maybe I should outright say that my parents can smell it?
Original post by DaenerysT
I've been as delicate as I can, he still gets moody. Do you think maybe I should outright say that my parents can smell it?

Perhaps, he could really do with a shock, that's the best way I can think to get it into him. Maybe say it's causing stress between you and your family? Or, depending on how close he is with your family, maybe ask one of your parents to have a little word with him?
Start a water fight, now that's it's getting hot.

And then throw shampoo at him and soap.

Job done! :thumbsup:
Perhaps, he could really do with a shock, that's the best way I can think to get it into him. Maybe say it's causing stress between you and your family? Or, depending on how close he is with your family, maybe ask one of your parents to have a little word with him?

That could work, it is actually causing stress between me and my family. My parents won't speak to him about it, but I could make out that we've argued over it and I wouldn't be lying. It's just finding a way to portray the message without him thinking my family hate him.
I've even purposely spilt juice and coke on him before but he just changes his top 😂
That could work, it is actually causing stress between me and my family. My parents won't speak to him about it, but I could make out that we've argued over it and I wouldn't be lying. It's just finding a way to portray the message without him thinking my family hate him.

It is a very delicate situation, so be careful with your wording but hopefully he'll soon realise. Does he have any friends that might support you?
Reply 30
Take him in the garden and turn the hose pipe on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a very delicate situation, so be careful with your wording but hopefully he'll soon realise. Does he have any friends that might support you?

His friends would slap me silly 😂 I wouldn't dare ask them or his family. Still trying to earn brownie points
His friends would slap me silly 😂 I wouldn't dare ask them or his family. Still trying to earn brownie points

Ah good point! He should respect what you have to say to him, so let him know how much this is effecting you and he should understand and try to get better :smile:
I would suggest keeping your family out of it, you don't want to create undue angst assuming this relationship lasts.

I would clearly say to him that it is embarrassing to be with him when he smells to bad, that everyone notices it, is isn't as subtle as he might want to believe. Point out that strangers notice it and actively avoid him/look at him with disgust (which I imagine is probably true).

Incidentally, how does this kid ever expect to be employed? I can't imagine anyone who reeked ever getting a job, who would want to be sat next to that?

You've tried being delicate, I suggest you give him a wake up call that he needs to grow up and deal with his smell.
He hasn't always been like this to be fair, but I understand your point 😂

What do you think caused the change? Is he depressed?
I'd be like 'look dude, you bloody stink, you're an adult now wash yo grown ass'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ribbits
What do you think caused the change? Is he depressed?

I think it's because I never commented when it wasn't that bad because I was too gentle
Take him out swimming, you have to shower before entering most public pools?

Quick Reply