The Student Room Group

There is one thing I hate about vegans...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhythmical
I'm so shocked, I thought sherbet were those lemon sweets? :tongue:

Original post by WhimsicalSloth
I've found that meat eaters can be just as preachy, but I understand what you mean. It's just common decency not to judge people for how they choose to live their lives, especially if they cannot afford to live any other way. Do you think that vegans have more justification though?

Oooh I get you and yes they do probably have more justification, I just find that, like I've mentioned many times, they can sometimes guilt trip people because they eat meat and dairy products and it makes me so sad sometimes.

Original post by ForestShadow

Omg that dog is so cute and yet so lonely, oh what is life anymore. :cry2:
Original post by greatguy 695
One thing I hate about meat eaters is that they are murderers

welcome back
I would be murdered and eaten alive! (not by vegans though) :cry2:
Original post by ForestShadow

Oooh I get you and yes they do probably have more justification, I just find that, like I've mentioned many times, they can sometimes guilt trip people because they eat meat and dairy products and it makes me so sad sometimes.

Omg that dog is so cute and yet so lonely, oh what is life anymore. :cry2:

Hmm. Isn't it more commonly called 'sorbet' in the UK? :holmes:
I'm not a vegan, but I don't see why this is particularly surprising.

I'm of the view that the only notable considerations for being vegan are moral ones. Mainly, environmental and prevention of suffering from animals. To them, (and arguably also to everyone else) it is very important not to hurt animals, not to needlessly kill them since they view meat eating as a luxury and not a necessity.

In this sense, it's not necessarily just your right to eat meat or your right to make your own decisions. We aren't allowed to kill humans on the basis of freedom, and in a similar vein you can see why vegans don't want people to kill animals, and hence why they might project their own beliefs on others. If you believed that animal suffering was of near or equal importance to human suffering, then it seems perfectly reasonable, almost expected to stand out against animal suffering in the way we stand out against human suffering. Preachy, sure, but I think justifiable at the same time.

Saying this, vegans should be careful to assume that they have the complete moral highground. Veganism ultimately still kills animals (on a much lesser degree of course), so they shouldn't assume that their actions are entirely damage free.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've never met anyone like this. I've got friends who are vegetarian. Their views generally seem to be "I'm willing to have a discussion with you. But as long as you don't force your views upon me, I won't do the same".
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Hmm. Isn't it more commonly called 'sorbet' in the UK? :holmes:

Here comes another meme. :tongue:
Reply 28
Also has it ever occured to you that meat eaters preach to vegans as well?

Of course not because you a meat eater and in the majority so you wont notice it. I have had meat eaters call my beliefs stupid, say I am just doing it for attention, call me pathetic. They attack my beliefs even though I never said anything to them. But oh noo its only the big nasty vegans that push their beliefs onto people aint it.

If people insult you for being a vegan, that's not exclusively because they're meateaters, just *******s, i'm sure there are more people who don't take the mick out of your veganism than those who do.
I see far more meat eaters moralising about moralising vegans than I see moralising vegans. The vast majority of vegans I know don't go around preaching but still manage to provoke a strong response in many meat eaters whenever the subject is mentioned.
Here comes another meme. :tongue:

Taking @ForestShadow's job... :creep:

Spoiler

Actually I find that most vegans do not go on about the killing of animals very much at all. Bear in mind that they do have reason to though.

Clearly you being "pissed off" is not as serious to vegans as the lives of other creatures. I would also tend to agree that you are still alive to have those feelings - those that died so you could eat them are not. Did you consider their feelings?

I have to say I have never really had any kind of deep conversation with a sheep or a chicken but they seem to me to have the ability to have emotions. They seem less complex but I do not necessarily see that they have any less right to live than me. I have no reason to have them killed, so I don't knowingly participate in any activity that would entail them losing their lives.
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Taking @ForestShadow's job... :creep:

Spoiler

I don't think I like sorbet that much :biggrin:
I never informed my friends I was vegan. The they found out one night because I had to inform the waiter I was vegan so I could get a vegan dish. Then they were all complaining 'why have you never mentioned you were vegan before'. And were all critical of the fact i never said anything before.

So vegans you damned if you do say you are vegan and you damned if you don't

I've missed your controversial viewpoints greatguy. Welcome back!
I've found that meat eaters can be just as preachy, but I understand what you mean. It's just common decency not to judge people for how they choose to live their lives, especially if they cannot afford to live any other way. Do you think that vegans have more justification though?

So you never judge a rapist or a murderer?
Original post by greatguy 696
So you never judge a rapist or a murderer?

Those are definitely exceptions! I should have probably put a disclaimer in- not to judge people from living their lives unless it is illegal or immoral in some way. So apologies for that. :smile:
Vegans are stupid and I don't like them, hi 5!
Original post by Josephmp
If people insult you for being a vegan, that's not exclusively because they're meateaters, just *******s, i'm sure there are more people who don't take the mick out of your veganism than those who do.

Of course. I was just pointing out it works both ways. It is just exclusively only vegans who push their views onto people like it is being made out.
Those are definitely exceptions! I should have probably put a disclaimer in- not to judge people from living their lives unless it is illegal or immoral in some way. So apologies for that. :smile:

Oh ok so its ok to push some opinions onto people? Its ok to judge some people if you agree with it?

Who gets to decide what opinions are allowed to be enforced? Why is it ok for you to push your opinions onto a rapist and murderer because you think it is wrong but its not ok for a vegan to push their views onto others because they think its wrong? Its hypocrisy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Vegans are stupid and I don't like them, hi 5!

You are stupid and I don't like you.

Quick Reply

Latest