The Student Room Group

AQA English Language exam 2016

I have this exam in 2 days, need some advice if possible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Question1 (8)- Retrieveinformation- Fulland detailed response range of points- Perceptiveinterpretations and insights- Referencesand quotations- Lookfor subtleties - 12 mins Question2 (8)- Explainhow headline is effective- Explainhow picture is effective (close and detailed reading)- Linkboth to text- Understandand interpret get meaning from text- Referencesand quotations (careful and appropriate selections)- Analyseeffects on reader- Explainwhy author has used the device- 12mins Question3 (8)- Explainthoughts and feelings - Referencesand quotations- Understandand interpret get meaning from text- Readbetween the lines, be perceptive - Engage indetail- 12 mins Question4 (16)- Compareways language is used foreffect- Bothsources use… The purpose is different/the same…- Analyseeffects on reader- Explainwhy author has used the device- Referencesand quotations- Writea lot about a little- DAFOREST (Direct Address, Alliteration, Facts, Opinions, Repetition/rhetorical questions, Emotive language, Statistics, Three (list of)- 24minsQuestion5 (16)- Focusis writing to inform/explain/describe- Key tosuccess: Effective communication- Decidepurpose, audience and form and stick to it- Focuson 4 or 5 main points to use and developKey skills: - Choiceof language (similes + metaphors, senses, effective vocab, other language features)- Engagingopening paragraph- Variedsentence length- Paragraphingfor effect Question6 (24)- Focusis writing to argue/persuade- Shouldwe explore space whatever the cost? - Becomes - Should we explore space?Whatever the cost?- Thinkof reasons for and against 4 or 5 main points - Sameskills used as for Q5Persuasive language: - Rhetoricalquestions- Emotivelanguage- Repetition- Directaddress- Facts/statistics- Opinions- Listof threealf_r�}r]��
Reply 2
Sorry formatting is a bit off
You have to pass language in order to not resit it next year so, I recommend revising. It is more important than Literature.
GcseMaths is correct. You HAVE to revise Language, otherwise, you'll going to fail and your future becomes under scrutiny!
Reply 5
Yeah. I spent most of half term revising. When are you doing the exam anyway? My one is tomorrow morning, 7/6/16 Tuesday. And good luck.
Does anyone know how to get full marks on question 2 of the paper? Find it really difficult!
Reply 7
are these the questions for the exam???
Reply 8
Original post by tessabella
Does anyone know how to get full marks on question 2 of the paper? Find it really difficult!

Hey, i got full marks for 1,2,3 in both mocks we done but I really struggle with 4,5 and 6. For question 2, you probably know what to do, but basically I do 2 things about the headline (Like Alliteration - you could say it emphasizes drama from the headline) and then link it to the text (E.g : the text explains what the headline means by using the quote .. And then 1 or 2 on the picture linking to the text again (so if the picture is describng someone celebrating I pick out words in the text which link to celebration) For ,5,6 my teacher was saying you need to come into the exam with 10 - 15 good adjectives to use so if anyone can help me start :smile:)
(edited 7 years ago)
In my coursework it says that I've got 80% (4 A's and a B) so what would I get overall if I got a B in the exam?
Reply 10
Original post by ameliasimone
In my coursework it says that I've got 80% (4 A's and a B) so what would I get overall if I got a B in the exam?

a C depending on the mark of your CA
Original post by ameliasimone

Probably a B
Reply 12
How did it go everyone?
Reply 13
In question 5 did it require you to write a letter?
Reply 14
Original post by STEVEVST
In question 5 did it require you to write a letter?

Yep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

So if I didnt write the letter with the opening of dear sir or madam and end with yours sincerely would it cost me any marks?
I am in the same boat as STEVEVST as I forgot to use 'Dear whomever this may concern' in order to show that I understood the form of the question. I interpreted the question (which asked about a time you were pushed to the limit) as wanting you to write a form of extended anecdote from a memory. I did so, using story-like formatting a structure (one-line paragraphs). I was wondering if I would lose any marks for this approach, and if so how many.
Hi. I didn't write a letter format but did write a story-like article for question 5. Do you know if this will make me lose any marks??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by shaunarhancock
Hi. I didn't write a letter format but did write a story-like article for question 5. Do you know if this will make me lose any marks??

1/2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by DrPepper123
I am in the same boat as STEVEVST as I forgot to use 'Dear whomever this may concern' in order to show that I understood the form of the question. I interpreted the question (which asked about a time you were pushed to the limit) as wanting you to write a form of extended anecdote from a memory. I did so, using story-like formatting a structure (one-line paragraphs). I was wondering if I would lose any marks for this approach, and if so how many.

1/2 marks
Really? I did a similar thing in my mock exam and I still achieved 15 out of 16, despite not strictly adhering to the form of the question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending