2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 2 - 9th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RKM21
I just made my own notes on them.

can you share it?
Reply 21
Original post by dragonblazer11
can you share it?

The're on scrap pieces of paper and on really scruffy writing. It wont take long, just make your own using your notes from lessons.
Reply 22
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Do we even need to know about the required practicals we've done? None of the specimen papers even mention them. Well, only briefly, but i'm beginning to question whether its actually worth writing out detailed notes for each practical?

The specification says that there will be 20 marks on the required practicals, 30 multiple choice marks and 20 marks of normal questions.
Reply 23
I thought that the new spec of science is linear. Meaning you do all three exams in your third year.What are these exams for?Are they simply exams which you do in order to get predicted grades which don't count towards your actual grade or what?
Can someone explain uncertanties to me? For example if I have a reading from a ruler as 45.3 cm how will I know the uncertainty?

is it just the smalles possible value I can measure with the ruler?

so in this case it is +-0.01 mm??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kraixo
Can someone explain uncertanties to me? For example if I have a reading from a ruler as 45.3 cm how will I know the uncertainty?

is it just the smalles possible value I can measure with the ruler?

so in this case it is +-0.01 mm??

Yeah but I don't think you can measure 0.01mm on a ruler, so in your example the error would be +- 1mm. Also make sure your measurement and error are the same units. Hope that helps :smile:
Yep that's it. just be sure to have the measurement and it's error use the same units. And also I don't think you can measure a hundredth of a mm on a ruler. In your example, the error would be +- 1mm
Reply 27
I seriosuly have NO IDEA what I should be doing to revise for this, I've already gone through the 2016 specimen paper to death (http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/8/5/14853288/7407-2_paper_2_qp_v1.1.pdf), do I just make notes on each core practical? Do I just hammer any practice questions I can find?

Really wish they'd quit changing everything, really makes it hard to feel prepared for exams..
Yeah, right now I'm making notes on all 6 practicals. On the bright side, this could mean the grade boundaries are lower than usual!
Attachment not found
del.png

Hi can someone explain how to answer those 2 questions thanks.
I was doing the 2nd specimen paper 2 the other day and noticed there weren't any 6 markers - are there definitely going to be no 6 markers on paper 2 or was that just a mistake on that specimen paper?
i feel like the specimen paper practical questions were just about measurements and vaguely related to the practicals we have done. I think the required practicals were only shown to us to help us make sense of the questions in the paper. I am just gonna look through my notes to remind me what they were and then hopefully i wont get as lost in the question!
Do you read the micrometer the same way as vernier calliper is there a difference. I know how to measure stuff with the vernier calliper, but I never got to use the micrometer when we did the practicals
Reply 33
does this exam have alot of multiple choice questions on it?
Original post by kyle1w
does this exam have alot of multiple choice questions on it?

Yes, 30 marks worth
Reply 35
Original post by Kraixo
Attachment not found
del.png

Hi can someone explain how to answer those 2 questions thanks.

answer is B to q31 but not sure how,

However, the answer to q33 is A. This is because they are both at the same stage in the circuit. meaning if the current split and goes through each route the it goes through 2 resistors before getting to point Q or U respectivelty. Therefore, resistance had effected both routes equally therefore, there is no Difference in potential. (pd at Q = pd at U) Therefore Q-U=0
Reply 36
Original post by dragonblazer11
can you share it?

Don't just make notes, because with this new spec you can know all the knowledge and still do **** as many of us found in paper 1. Do more past papers and then things you don't know read about, then try a question you find hard. In my opinion you can know all the knowledge and scrape a C/D if you can't apply it
Is breaking stress and ultimate tensile stength (UTS) the same thing? Different sources say differently.
Original post by chris51333
Is breaking stress and ultimate tensile stength (UTS) the same thing? Different sources say differently.

No. The Ultimate Tensile stress is not necessarily the breaking stress. Instead "necking" occurs hence the material experiences strain without any added stress. As you can see:
The
Original post by Someboady
No. The Ultimate Tensile stress is not necessarily the breaking stress. Instead "necking" occurs hence the material experiences strain without any added stress. As you can see:
The

so breaking stress if when the material fractures? Because in the AQA textbook it's written that the UTS is sometimes referred to as the breaking stress, but other books disagree.

Quick Reply

Latest