The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

Scroll to see replies

I messed up my timings as well. I rushed question 5 and 6.
I have a question about 5 though. I wrote about going to Cambodia and spending the day with some poor children as pushing my limits as a mentally challenging experience but everyone else did something about sports. Was mine okay or is it wrong?
I found Question 5 and 6 to be the easiest.
For question 5, I made up half of it about climbing a mountain with scouts and I'm really good at imagination and talking about something as if it was both a story and non-fiction book. Also, I wrote a few short sentences and a few longer ones as well as one sentence paragraphs.
For question 6, I planned my paragraphs with 1 - intro, 2 - Holidays abroad bring in tourism, 3 - Get to experience other ways of life, 4 - can be expensive and 5 - conclusion and I wrote in a letter form.
Did anyone write for question 2 about the headline with "Bear Grylls" and that the reader would probably know him and would immediately get what the article was about, the alliteration in the headline and the contrast between the water and the land (colours wise)?
Original post by luciie
Oh my god I wrote it in a blog post way :frown:

Oh my same here I did it quite informally eek, do you think we'll lose many marks? I tried to make mine funny so the examiner would like it but idk if it might have been too informal for a newspaper? Like you I did it in a blog style....
Reply 103
Q1: I wrote about a 1 1/3 page and basically picked out quotes and embedded them. I hope those are perceptive enough to get me 7/8 :smile:
Q2: How many paragraphs are you meant to write? I wrote 4 small/medium sized paragraphs.
Q3: I feel like I messed up this one badly because I started to drift off from the emotions, and more on the effects to the reader.
Q4: It went great, but last paragraph was a bit short.
Q5: The worst question I answered. I wrote about rock climbing and tried to be funny, but my bad sense of humour will probably drop me a few marks lol
Q6: It went well, so I'm confident about getting over 20.

(Btw, if you used a slightly offensive word in your answer, do you drop marks?)
Original post by blueribbons99
It definitely said write a letter :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it was write a letter for an article that a newspaper is making
Question 5 and 6 went really well. Question 1 and 3 went alright, but question 2 and 4 went horribly.
Original post by -nightfury-
Oh my same here I did it quite informally eek, do you think we'll lose many marks? I tried to make mine funny so the examiner would like it but idk if it might have been too informal for a newspaper? Like you I did it in a blog style....

I have no idea :frown: I'm so confused because I have some of my friends saying it was supposed to be a letter and others saying it was supposed to be an article ugh.
Reply 107
For questions 5 would i have had to make up an address and everything i put "Dear editor" and "your sincerely" at the end but no address. Will i lose marks for this because it said to write a letter :frown:
Original post by babymarima
i swear grade boundaries went down one mark in 2015 cos it was 58 marks for an A* in 2014, and 57 marks for an A* in 2015?

I really don't want it to go above 57 marks for an A*, but I think a lot of people found this exam alright, so they may go up.

Hoping that they don't have the goddamn nerve to raise it to 61/80 like they did in 2012, cos some b*tches may get hurt

61/80 is still a really low grade boundary considering the exam is basically predictable? like the questions don't change at all...
Original post by Baaah
Q1: I wrote about a 1 1/3 page and basically picked out quotes and embedded them. I hope those are perceptive enough to get me 7/8 :smile:
Q2: How many paragraphs are you meant to write? I wrote 4 small/medium sized paragraphs.
Q3: I feel like I messed up this one badly because I started to drift off from the emotions, and more on the effects to the reader.
Q4: It went great, but last paragraph was a bit short.
Q5: The worst question I answered. I wrote about rock climbing and tried to be funny, but my bad sense of humour will probably drop me a few marks lol
Q6: It went well, so I'm confident about getting over 20.

(Btw, if you used a slightly offensive word in your answer, do you drop marks?)

Depends what the word was. Our teacher said words such as 'damn' or 'bloody'
wouldn't be marked down as we made sure the rest of our writing was sophisticated and if the word added effect to what we were talking about.
Original post by luciie
I have no idea :frown: I'm so confused because I have some of my friends saying it was supposed to be a letter and others saying it was supposed to be an article ugh.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much though cause I'm sure we'll still get quite a few marks! Probably lose like one or two... Although even if it's a letter i don't think it has to be very formal otherwise the examiners get bored...When I did a past paper in class my teacher said i could just get rid of the intro of 'I am writing to you about...' and jump straight into it so I don't know
What I put for question 5 was "Dear Sir/Madam" and "I am writing to you to..." as well as "Sincerely." And I wrote a fake address in the top right.
I think you just had to know what an article, letter, blog, etc. were and what style they're in.
Reply 112
Original post by electramoon
Depends what the word was. Our teacher said words such as 'damn' or 'bloody'
wouldn't be marked down as we made sure the rest of our writing was sophisticated and if the word added effect to what we were talking about.

I wrote bull****, but I changed it in the end just in case :smile:
Reply 113
What tone of writing should Q5 be?
Informal or formal?
Reply 114
Original post by junayd1998
Dont worry if we fail we will blame Mr Bruff

Not a good idea...
Reply 115
Original post by luciie
I'm hoping it was an article or else I'm screwed

Actually u had to write a letter to the newspaper editor so they can publish ur 'off the limits' experience on their newspaper.
I wrote 2 pages for Q1 - could you estimate my mark & I wrote 4 pages for Q6
Okay so to do with the confusion about what was article and what was letter, these were the wording of the questions:

Q5: "Write a LETTER to a newspaper" about the Limits and Beyond thingy about a time you have felt you pushed your limit.

Q6: "Write an ARTICLE, IN REPLY" to the travel website quote thing.

Hope that cleared things up! I thought it was okay, sort of got writer's block but got through it c: I hope everybody else's went well!
Original post by junayd1998
Dont worry if we fail we will blame Mr Bruff

Obviously not true^^ but I definitely found this funny!
Original post by TheMandem
Chill, it did say in Q3 that use the sub headline, headline and picture

you mean question 4 or? i'm talking bout question 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending