The Student Room Group

Has anyone here ever brought bitcoins?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone is hyping ETH, but I doubt it'll become as successful as BTC simply because it is not anonymous.

It is no secret BTC became popular from its criminal opportunities; I just don't see that happening for ETH, especially as it is in collaboration with Google, a government company.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Trapping
Everyone is hyping ETH, but I doubt it'll become as successful as BTC simply because it is not anonymous.

It is no secret BTC became popular from its criminal opportunities; I just don't see that happening for ETH, especially as it is in collaboration with Google, a government company.

i am going to leave my 150k where it is. The £250 pounds worth of eth i brought last night, well they haven't even sent me the wallet for it yet. I may just cash it all in the minute they do. I'm not sure?

jr
Original post by Trapping

What are you on about? ETH gives you a similar amount of anonymity as BTC and has no affiliation with google. Also, the last time i checked, google was a private company.
Original post by phaggatron5001
What are you on about? ETH gives you a similar amount of anonymity as BTC and has no affiliation with google. Also, the last time i checked, google was a private company.

Some insider info, ETH will have a sponsor soon. Ride the hype train.
Reply 25
Original post by glebp

I just cashed in about £50 worth of gold, at the price of just under £14 worth of gold, to help me through this week. It has been quite fiscally stretching.

Does anyone know whether i have to declare gold stock on my tax returns form?
Reply 26
Original post by glebp

thanks for that video. So would i be right to say that having too much capital, is as bad as having too much debt? (too much being too far up in capital is as bad as being too far in debt?) But as far as the enterprise value is concerned, being in debt actually adds to a company's worth, whereas having assets is seen as a negative?!?
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
holy hell $575 is a big jump, I bought some a few months ago (not for investing :tongue: ) and it was £220/coin which is like $360

Honestly, if you wanna make money from the price volatility of bitcoins then just trade them as a Forex, atleast that way you can make money from the price dropping which it often does

my uncle's mate bought a thousand when it first started trading for $5 a piece and sold once they reached $100 each
Original post by john2054
thanks for that video. So would i be right to say that having too much capital, is as bad as having too much debt? (too much being too far up in capital is as bad as being too far in debt?) But as far as the enterprise value is concerned, being in debt actually adds to a company's worth, whereas having assets is seen as a negative?!?

Having capital is great, however if it is not being utilised its esentially pointless to have tons of cash. But otherwise, its great. Debt is normal, it allows a firm to spread costs. Enterprise value is essentially the balance sheet. Lets say you want to buy Company A. When you buy the company you do not only buy the assets, but you also purchase the debt that goes with it. The guy in the video explains this properly with a practical element.

You should take a look at some balance sheets and try to analyze them after you have watched a couple of vids.

http://www.sec.gov/search/search.htm

Enter a stock ticker, eg AAPL

10-Q - Queartely Report10-K - Annual report

Skim through and then apply what you learn't to assess a balance sheet.
Original post by jamesthehustler
my uncle's mate bought a thousand when it first started trading for $5 a piece and sold once they reached $100 each

Yea I also bought some when they were about 5 quid each.... spent em on a "good time" though lol
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Yea I also bought some when they were about 5 quid each.... spent em on a "good time" though lol

then he bought gold and made more money and then silver and made more money he made about $500,000 out of the original 5k and spent it on a club in tucson
Bitcoin is not an investment as such and i view it akin to the lottery. Something i'd put a punt on every now and then on a 'what if' basis but not something i'd ever depend on.
Definitely recommend this podcast about bitcoins, it's really interesting and enticing:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/darkode/

LISTEN TO IT it's very well presented too.
Original post by john2054
i didn't say coinbase was a scam. just that i won't be buying any currency from you personally.

i do in theory have £150k to invest, but i'm worried that if the market tanks, that will be my money wiped out. I'd rather put it in a managed fund.

I don't think i will be bit coin while the prices are so high.

With $150k you can afford to purchase a single class A share in Berkshire Hathaway and ride the Warren Buffet train. Congratulations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending