The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Get off your moral high horse, and let me point the flaws of your way of thinking.
You're saying that it is okay to mask imperfections, because a person looks good.
I say no because that person is choosing to ignore her imperfections by applying make up.
You wouldn't encourage her to get a boob job.

I'm saying that girl is a free woman and can do as she pleases. Why are you saying no? Since when did you tell her what to do? If she wants to be blind to her imperfections then she can be. That's her choice to make. And Yes I do have the morale high ground here.
Acne doesn't mean they haven't looked after their skin....
Original post by Someboady
I'm saying that girl is a free woman and can do as she pleases. Why are you saying no? Since when did you tell her what to do? If she wants to be blind to her imperfections then she can be. That's her choice to make. And Yes I do have the morale high ground here.

Because it is a counterproductive way of thinking as when she wakes up with more acne, or if she hates her nose, or if she wants a bigger bum and you now see how your solution could in fact make things worse as you're just coddling, and reinforcing the notion of looks being the end all that should be required to feel beautiful

Young women should learn to accept their imperfections and should just deal with it, I mean being a teenager with acne is not out of the norm.
This is sad.
Original post by Someboady
This is pathetic from OP. Just because she's spotty doesn't mean she's not beautiful so you shouldn't "cringe". I don't understand how the amount of make-up she wears is proportional to her beauty. If she wants to wear a lot then she has her reasons for it. Maybe her spots make her feel insecure. Not taking care of her skin? Are you serious? Acne/spots isn't a result of not taking care of your skin.

And answering your question. Yes I would. But I certainly wouldn't date you OP. In fact I'd go out of my way to avoid someone who thinks that having spots means you don't take care of your skin. You don't have any right to judge someone.

Rant over.

I'm not judging anyone, I am just stating what I see in my school. You clearly did not understand what I was informing everyone in this thread. I am informing you that people who wear make-up but have spots shouldn't need to cover it. Spots are natural and shouldn't need to be covered. The fact is that many girls in my school wear excessive amount of make-up but still feel the need to cover their spots even if they are visible. The reason why I cannot tell if that girl in my class is attractive or not is because she wears excessive amount of make-up that I cannot even see her features properly. The reason why people in my class 'cringe' is because it is very awkward that our teacher openly says things like that. For example, if your teacher said you are beautiful wouldn't you find it slightly uncomfortable as well as everyone as in the class. I never said it in a way to mean that we disagree it's just that it makes everyone feel uncomfortable(maybe I should've have mentioned it..)

But if you took care of your skin perhaps wouldn't you be less likely for you to have acne/spots. Of course there are other factors like diet, health etc. But I just see a common trend in my sixth form that girls in my school who wear excessive amount of make-up tend to have lots of acne/spots so I just assume that it might be because of them not taking care of their skin. If you were in my position, you would probably think the same.

I meant no disrespect in this thread, I was just informing you about this evidential issue in my school.
Reply 25
So what? Maybe wearing makeup makes her feel confident and it cover her spots a little. If she feels pretty let her be its none of your business (:
The only thing I find kind of weird is that your teacher "says to her all the time" how beautiful she is.

Anyway, I'm not a guy, but I am someone who used to have really bad acne and ended up taking medication after several years of taking good care of my skin and wearing minimal make-up (although I didn't not wear make-up for my skin's sake -- I just didn't see the point in make-up as a 13-year-old). Now, my skin's probably average and I do wear make-up, especially over the bad, noticeable spots.

Personally, I don't like excess amounts of make-up, but I think it's someone's choice for how they want to present themselves. Maybe some people really do find her beautiful, but maybe some people don't.

However, I would just like to point out that although some acne is caused by looking after your skin badly, not drinking enough water, eating badly, etc., some skin conditions are hereditary (as mine partly was -- although I am a sucker for a good Maccie D's) and have NOTHING to do with the amount of make-up. There is some make-up available which isn't as bad for your skin as others as well.
Original post by nerdaf
So what? Maybe wearing makeup makes her feel confident and it cover her spots a little. If she feels pretty let her be its none of your business (:

I never said that wearing make-up is bad and I know it's not my business, I never once said it was. Of course, it's fantastic if it makes someone feel pretty and confident as it's great that people feel that it increases their confidence. You obviously assumed that I regard make-up as a major sin and it's an abomination if girls try to cover small spots. All I am simply stating is this is a common trend in our current society. I stated what I see and assume, not what I truly think.
Original post by beckyfrance
The only thing I find kind of weird is that your teacher "says to her all the time" how beautiful she is.

Anyway, I'm not a guy, but I am someone who used to have really bad acne and ended up taking medication after several years of taking good care of my skin and wearing minimal make-up (although I didn't not wear make-up for my skin's sake -- I just didn't see the point in make-up as a 13-year-old). Now, my skin's probably average and I do wear make-up, especially over the bad, noticeable spots.

Personally, I don't like excess amounts of make-up, but I think it's someone's choice for how they want to present themselves. Maybe some people really do find her beautiful, but maybe some people don't.

However, I would just like to point out that although some acne is caused by looking after your skin badly, not drinking enough water, eating badly, etc., some skin conditions are hereditary (as mine partly was -- although I am a sucker for a good Maccie D's) and have NOTHING to do with the amount of make-up. There is some make-up available which isn't as bad for your skin as others as well.

I completely agree with you. Finally, some one who actually agrees with me.

My teacher compliments her all the time because she produces her A grade essays that she simply memorises not what she actually knows. The reason why people in my class cringe is that some of the guys do not necessarily like her because she gets good grades therefore gets lots of attention but she understands no **** in our lesson(they actually know Ethics **** but she gets good grades for no reason).
Original post by Defraction
I completely agree with you. Finally, some one who actually agrees with me.

My teacher compliments her all the time because she produces her A grade essays that she simply memorises not what she actually knows. The reason why people in my class cringe is that some of the guys do not necessarily like her because she gets good grades therefore gets lots of attention but she understands no **** in our lesson(they actually know Ethics **** but she gets good grades for no reason).

Well, if she actually knows her stuff, she'll do well in her exam, same with your friends. So time will tell.
Original post by beckyfrance
Well, if she actually knows her stuff, she'll do well in her exam, same with your friends. So time will tell.

Yes hopefully. Thank you very much! I hope you all the best in your upcoming exams and let's hope you do amazing!
As someone that had acne in the past, this makes me unbelievably frustrated.

Firstly, just because these kind of girls may have acne does n o t mean they do not care for their skin. Acne can be induced by hormones, stress and simply unfortunate genes.

Secondly, take a minute to think about how insecure they may feel. When I had acne I was at one of my lowest points and knowing people were thinking in this way about my appearance just made it worse.

Thirdly, just because you can see their spots through their makeup doesn't mean there's no point in wearing in. It may cover up masses of redness and scarring that you don't even know is there. It may also fill them with a little more confidence allowing them to go about their day a little more easily.

Try to be more sympathetic in future because you seem to be rather ill-informed to be this judgemental about it
I know what you mean. There's this one girl in my year and she wears an absolute fat layer of make up on her face with absolutely defeats her natural skin tone, making herself much whiter than she really also you can see she has acne on her face because of the spots but most is covered up. A lot of other girls speak behind her back and so forth but she doesn't care and is generally a very nice person and that's what makes her stand out to others she has the sweetest personality so a lot of boys get along with her so well.
Don't judge a book by its cover🤔
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about girls who wear so much make-up that you can literally see their spots. There are some girls in my year who have literally a patch of acne in their cheeks but they still wear make-up even though you can still see it? There is some spotty girl in my RS class who wears lots of make-up and my Ethics teacher(who loves her and despises me completely) says to her all the time how beautiful she is but this literally cringes everyone in our class. I literally can not tell if she's attractive or not because she wears so much make-up. Well she must be, if she has a boyfriend waiting for her in Pakistan...

Sometimes I wonder to myself that people shouldn't only wear make-up and not take care of your skin as you might up looking like dead zombies like those girls.

What do you think about girls like this? Would you date them?

I'm a girl.
I know EXACTLY what you mean there are a lot of arab and asian girls in my clas majority are from DUBAI. So they wear SO MUCH makeup. They have really bad acne and the powdered foundation sticks onto their spots making it MORE visible. They are somehow pretty because they were SO MUCH makeup. TBH a barbie doll is less fake then them
I live in DUBAI so i'm kinda use to it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Mason
Looking good to whom is the question, as it is important to accept and not mask your imperfections.
It starts out with make up, and then surgery.
It is not healthy to coat your face with cosmetics, and it only makes things worse.
Also the lad is talking sense

It's only not healthy to coat your face in cosmetics if you don't look after your skin and take steps to protect that ****. I can wear make up every day and it will not effect my skin because I educated myself on how to avoid that happening.

Also, this person appears to be in either high school or college from what she's said of "school". This girl is therefore anywhere between 13-18 years old. So she might pack on the make up too much or try too hard to look good or generally be another clueless teenager. So ****ing what? Lay off.
I am rather educated, thank you very much. Plus, I'm just stating facts about girls in my school as literally all of them who wear lots of make-up have so much visible spots. Of course, it might be different elsewhere but I'm just stating what I see in my sixth form. I'm not moaning babes, I'm just informing you about this evidential issue in my school.

Also, look at this from this way. Surely, if you wear excessive make-up and you do not take care of your skin wouldn't you have bad skin. Look at this mathematics equation:
Lots of make up + NEVER TAKE CARE SKIN= Bad skin
But if you actually took care of your skin, surely those spots wouldn't be evident in your skin. Another mathematics equation:
Lots of make up+ YOU ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN= Flawless skin
Haven't you seen those Guru make up artists in YouTube who wear so much make-up but have flawless skin because they look after their skin. These YouTube Make up artists want to look good too and they still look great with make-up.

All I am saying is that they should take care of their skin. I understand people want to look good so they wear make-up. But the sheer fact here is that they wouldn't even have such bad skin if they looked after their skin. I never said once that make-up is bad, blah. All I'm stating is that you should still look after your skin even if you wear make-up. Like look at those girls like me who don't wear make-up, we still look after our skin because we want to look good. There is no point putting make-up to look good but you don't even look after your skin properly. Most people ignore that fact. They just assume that when I wear make-up I shouldn't look after my skin. Like one of my close friends plays around with make-up and she has such clear skin because she exfoliates and cleanses her skin.

It's not an issue though, it's your opinion. You think girls in your sixth form wear too much make up and makes them look bad. Maybe some others or a lot of others agree with you, it doesn't matter, it's still just an opinion and not in any way an issue. Why is the condition of someone else's skin anything to do with you?

Of course if a girl wears make up and doesn't take care of her skin she will have bad skin, typically. But who are you to say she doesn't? Acne can be caused by many things, hormones, diet, hereditary conditions that one can do NOTHING about.. Some people your age are too young to understand how to look after their skin, or not understand what their skin type needs.

In the end, it's not your skin so wtf does it matter?
Original post by Katarvi
It's not an issue though, it's your opinion. You think girls in your sixth form wear too much make up and makes them look bad. Maybe some others or a lot of others agree with you, it doesn't matter, it's still just an opinion and not in any way an issue. Why is the condition of someone else's skin anything to do with you?

Of course if a girl wears make up and doesn't take care of her skin she will have bad skin, typically. But who are you to say she doesn't? Acne can be caused by many things, hormones, diet, hereditary conditions that one can do NOTHING about.. Some people your age are too young to understand how to look after their skin, or not understand what their skin type needs.

In the end, it's not your skin so wtf does it matter?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2741413/Two-three-women-wear-make-Men-say-prefer-natural-look.html

I never once said I cared and I know it's not my skin, did I ever say once it is.

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/health-and-human-body/human-body/skin-article/- This article acknowledges skin as an organ and the biggest one. If we look after our body by exercising and watching what we eat then who said we cannot look after our skin also. Of course, acne is caused by other things but I just noticed a common trend with the girls in my year and I just wanted to inform. Who said young people do not know how to look after our skin and what their skin type needs? You cannot subject certain people and conclude we do not know anything about skin. Why do the NHS provide everyone, including some people my age how to look after every single part of our body. I never once gave you my opinion, you don't know my opinion about this altogether. All I did was inform you about my findings about what I see and simply asked you what you thought, not what I truly think.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2741413/Two-three-women-wear-make-Men-say-prefer-natural-look.html

I never once said I cared and I know it's not my skin, did I ever say once it is.

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/health-and-human-body/human-body/skin-article/- This article acknowledges skin as an organ and the biggest one. If we look after our body by exercising and watching what we eat then who said we cannot look after our skin also. Of course, acne is caused by other things but I just noticed a common trend with the girls in my year and I just wanted to inform. Who said young people do not know how to look after our skin and what their skin type needs? You cannot subject certain people and conclude we do not know anything about skin. Why do the NHS provide everyone, including some people my age how to look after every single part of our body. I never once gave you my opinion, you don't know my opinion about this altogether. All I did was inform you about my findings about what I see and simply asked you what you thought, not what I truly think.

To quote your first post:

"this literally cringes everyone in our class"

"you might up looking like dead zombies like those girls"

Does that not clearly state what your opinion is on this "issue"?

No, some girls your age do not know how to properly look after their skin. The importance of moisturising, serums, exfoliating or what combination of those things is best for the skin types (oily, dry, combination, etc). Just because you and perhaps your friends do doesn't mean every girl does. I didn't conclude anything, I said some people your age aren't educated on how to care for their skin. That isn't exactly a terrible, hurtful or hugely wild statement to make.

This is just silly now.
Original post by Katarvi
To quote your first post:

"this literally cringes everyone in our class"

"you might up looking like dead zombies like those girls"

Does that not clearly state what your opinion is on this "issue"?

No, some girls your age do not know how to properly look after their skin. The importance of moisturising, serums, exfoliating or what combination of those things is best for the skin types (oily, dry, combination, etc). Just because you and perhaps your friends do doesn't mean every girl does. I didn't conclude anything, I said some people your age aren't educated on how to care for their skin. That isn't exactly a terrible, hurtful or hugely wild statement to make.

This is just silly now.

Have you heard of sarcasm? Clearly, you mistook my sarcastic tone as being my opinion.

Of course, it was silly to start of with you taking my statement as thinking I am the expert of dermatology. I just stated what I see at school obviously you took that as offence and I am sorry for that. But if these girls in my school are capable of buying expensive make-up and know how to put this on, surely they should know how to look after their skin. I am sure that beauty shops like Boots and Superdrug recommend exfoliating products to girls when they buy their make-up. Obviously, the people in my area differs from yours. But I'm just stating what I see as a common trend in my area.
Have you heard of sarcasm? Clearly, you mistook my sarcastic tone as being my opinion.

Of course, it was silly to start of with you taking my statement as thinking I am the expert of dermatology. I just stated what I see at school obviously you took that as offence and I am sorry for that. But if these girls in my school are capable of buying expensive make-up and know how to put this on, surely they should know how to look after their skin. I am sure that beauty shops like Boots and Superdrug recommend exfoliating products to girls when they buy their make-up. Obviously, the people in my area differs from yours. But I'm just stating what I see as a common trend in my area.

Definitely didn't seem at all sarcastic. Makes no sense that it would have been.

I didn't take your statements as you being the expert in dermatology, clearly, or I wouldn't have advised you to educate yourself about the causes of acne. It's pretty presumptious to assume that these girls all use expensive make-up, it's pretty hard to tell the brand of makeup someone is wearing on sight and also hugely presumptious to assume that every Boots and Superdrug store personally advises any girl that buys make up there to exfoliate. This has never been my experience.

You make some very large assumptions about these girls and their skin care and make up habits. I'd just advise that maybe it's not that big a deal what they do with their face.

As someone who has suffered with hormonal acne in the past your post rubbed me (and a few others) the wrong way. Instead of tearing girls down and saying they make the whole class cringe when someone compliments them, maybe give the girl some helpful advice for keeping her skin clear? Just an idea! It always pays to be kind!

Latest