The Student Room Group

Is revising 2 days before an exam ok?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by IRoranth
you can sooooooo do this with GCSEs, make sure you do it well though- i did it with geography and it paid off well!

Ahahaha yesssssss last minute geography is ace!
A lead science teacher showed us a graph of memory of revision and it shows its really not worth it to try remembering stuff over a weeks period, to all those people who started their 'gcse' revision way too early.
NO! According to researchers "Sacrificing sleep to study 'will make you much worse at exams and homework" so don't do it.
Some scientists believe that revising in advance may be a good idea if you're regularly reciting the information as it will stick in your head. However, it is correct that doing the revision on the exam day may not be even worthwhile as some people are panicky and they stress as they realise how little they actually know.

Hope this helps,

M.Mills
Original post by hals
I've errr.. somehow managed to leave my revision until now and am currently revising for exams a few days before i actually have them (GCSEs). is this usually successful? anyone experienced doing this and achieving good grades (I'm looking to achieve the best grades i can)

Oh my days I thought I was the only one. Like High5 buddy, for my exams so far I've been doing 2, even the whole night before the exam:colonhash:. Not the greatest of ideas and you'll feel so much more stressed (and sleepy!) but ya know. I'm sure as hell not gonna be doing this for my A levels tho XD
Reply 65
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Oh my days I thought I was the only one. Like High5 buddy, for my exams so far I've been doing 2, even the whole night before the exam:colonhash:. Not the greatest of ideas and you'll feel so much more stressed (and sleepy!) but ya know. I'm sure as hell not gonna be doing this for my A levels tho XD

Haha hi five mate im glad this aint a personal problem ...not to suggest i want ppl to be in the same position as i am. Altho i dobt stay up late at night to revise (up to 11.40-12 max) but if its required i wake up early morning

I was way more prepared for mocks lol. And now i can hardly revise in the day coz im fasting (coz its Ramadan) so im gonna have to do late night or EARLYYYY morninf revison where ill be energised coz ive eaten

And HAHAHA doing this for a levels NO SIR ive alrdy decided im going to revise months in advance and have a strict study schedule so that i revise everything in time and have time to go over t againa dn then do past papers .. even tho we'll have hardly any

Well thats what i hope to do
Original post by hals
Haha hi five mate im glad this aint a personal problem ...not to suggest i want ppl to be in the same position as i am. Altho i dobt stay up late at night to revise (up to 11.40-12 max) but if its required i wake up early morning

I was way more prepared for mocks lol. And now i can hardly revise in the day coz im fasting (coz its Ramadan) so im gonna have to do late night or EARLYYYY morninf revison where ill be energised coz ive eaten

And HAHAHA doing this for a levels NO SIR ive alrdy decided im going to revise months in advance and have a strict study schedule so that i revise everything in time and have time to go over t againa dn then do past papers .. even tho we'll have hardly any

Well thats what i hope to do

Oml same. I've told myself after the first day of sixth form, im gona sit and start revising:lol::lol:
knowing me this probably won't happen :colonhash:
Reply 67
Original post by GcseMaths
Some scientists believe that revising in advance may be a good idea if you're regularly reciting the information as it will stick in your head. However, it is correct that doing the revision on the exam day may not be even worthwhile as some people are panicky and they stress as they realise how little they actually know.

Hope this helps,

M.Mills

yeah I've seen this happen to others, most of them begin to give up. i make sure that I've revised all the content before i arrive at school for the exam then practise/ go over it during the immerisons

and yes, all advice is appreciated !
Reply 68
Oml same. I've told myself after the first day of sixth form, im gona sit and start revising:lol::lol:
knowing me this probably won't happen :colonhash:

ahahah...lol ik i like to delude myself. ill probably keep at it for the first 2 weeks then unconsciously forget my priorities... altho i do hope to not leave revision 2 days before heh
Reply 69
Original post by GCSE2016Exam
NO! According to researchers "Sacrificing sleep to study 'will make you much worse at exams and homework" so don't do it.

even if you have 8 hours sleep? ....o.O
Reply 70
Original post by B3ASTy
A lead science teacher showed us a graph of memory of revision and it shows its really not worth it to try remembering stuff over a weeks period, to all those people who started their 'gcse' revision way too early.

this makes me feel less guilty :h: because i have a few friends who've been revising weeks ahead are struggling and h=are having to re-revise everything a few days before ...a bit like me o.o
Original post by hals
this makes me feel less guilty :h: because i have a few friends who've been revising weeks ahead are struggling and h=are having to re-revise everything a few days before ...a bit like me o.o

Yeah, that's why i believe it's best to do proper revision a month before. But you could do very light going over things in class and small little revision for things you don't understand at first BEFORE that month comes.
Original post by hals

By doing revision earlier than the month, i'm not saying it doesn't help just saying it's not worth it and you could be doing other things.
Original post by hals
ahahah...lol ik i like to delude myself. ill probably keep at it for the first 2 weeks then unconsciously forget my priorities... altho i do hope to not leave revision 2 days before heh

Same. First couple weeks I'd be such a brainy but thats gonna fall apart when I get distracted with tv shows and movies on netflix uno. And student room.:colonhash:
Oh my God. I'd never be able to get a grade above X for a levels with 2 days worth of revision loool. How did your language exam go today?
Reply 74
Lol GCSEs

It depends on how much you studied throughout the year. If you did well then, then a good cram session will be enough. I know plenty people who got all A or A* on their subjects without or with minimal revision before the exam. NOT TO SAY THAT YOU SHOULDN'T REVISE.

I must add though that this is a bad habit that you might carry into college, and in college you simply cannot put off revision to just two days prior to your exams.

BTW enjoy GCSE's they're piss and literally mean nothing
Have fun in A levels where you'll get raped by the new spec
Reply 75
Same. First couple weeks I'd be such a brainy but thats gonna fall apart when I get distracted with tv shows and movies on netflix uno. And student room.:colonhash:
Oh my God. I'd never be able to get a grade above X for a levels with 2 days worth of revision loool. How did your language exam go today?

Haha netflix and anime are the 2 killers. Also sorry what language exam are u referring to? I didnt have an exam today, ive been revising for the 2 i have tomorrow o.O why did u have a Language exam today? If u did i hope u did well!
Bit awkward when I've been leaving revision for my AS exams until the literal morning of some of them :s-smilie:
Reply 77
They tell you to start weeks before but i've only done real revision for one and started the day before and they're going just fine. So glad I didn't sweat over revision in study leave and easter.
Original post by hals
I've errr.. somehow managed to leave my revision until now and am currently revising for exams a few days before i actually have them (GCSEs). is this usually successful? anyone experienced doing this and achieving good grades (I'm looking to achieve the best grades i can)

I got 7 As and 3 Bs doing revision the day before when I did my GCSEs. Most of them are just common sense if you've been paying any vague attention in your lessons. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest