The Student Room Group

one for the med students...

how on earth do you remember all the differnet conditions, illnesses, medications etc?
theres hundreds!!
Reply 1
Original post by shawtyb
how on earth do you remember all the differnet conditions, illnesses, medications etc?
theres hundreds!!

That's what 5 years of uni and 5+ years of postgraduate training is for.

Plus we don't remember everything, but develop a structure for assessing, investigating and treating the common stuff, and know where to look for the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
That's what 5 years of uni and 5+ years of postgraduate training is for.

Plus we don't remember everything, but develop a structure for assessing, investigating and treating the common stuff, and know where to look for the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah ok thankyou :smile:
i thought you all just had amazing memories
Spaced repetition and a lot of hard work. A lot of things keep coming up over and over again, especially if you see them day after day.

It's like London cabbies learning The Knowledge :wink:

That said, some stuff will end up being forgotten. I really doubt a consultant surgeon remembers much psychiatry or vice versa.
Memory? What memory? That's what the internet is for.

Original post by Democracy
That said, some stuff will end up being forgotten. I really doubt a consultant surgeon remembers any medicine at all or vice versa.

Corrected.

This is probably the best answer. I am of the opinion that your knowledge actually peaks just before you take finals. The only reason seniors seem more knowledgeable is that they can delete unnecessary surgical/medical/psychiatric knowledge and focus on only the stuff they need to know. In terms of raw breadth of knowledge: med students undoubtedly win.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Memory? What memory? That's what the internet is for.

Corrected.

This is probably the best answer. I am of the opinion that your knowledge actually peaks just before you take finals. The only reason seniors seem more knowledgeable is that they can delete unnecessary surgical/medical/psychiatric knowledge and focus on only the stuff they need to know. In terms of raw breadth of knowledge: med students undoubtedly win.

In terms of raw breath, I knew more just before leaving high school!
Reply 6
Medical school has really taught me the meaning of the saying "I've forgotten more about [X] than you've ever learnt"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending