The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noj234
Actually u had to write a letter to the newspaper editor so they can publish ur 'off the limits' experience on their newspaper.

was it meant to be in a letter format?
I tried to include some humour in question 6 and this is what I opened with:
"Britain must have a lot too offer, our soggy beaches and moist natural parks make for the best of experiences. There is also a lot to do, for example getting drenched in the rain, at least that is what people like Nigel Farrage want us to think."
I'm just hoping that the examiner isn't a UKIP supporter and this starter gets me a decent mark in question 6
How many marks would be lost if you didn't do a letter but everything else was okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Q1: Went pretty good, although i mostly just said what the source said as there wasn't much info
Q2: Went well, wrote about all 3 and how they link to text
Q3: Ok but i don't feel i explained all the feelings well enough
Q4: So bad, compared facts and metaphors for captivating the reader and statistics and the listing of the stuff on the boat to show the extent of the respective issues (anyone know if this is ok?!)
Question 5 and 6 went good but i didn't write 5 as a letter so am i gonna lose loads of marks now? :frown:
Original post by IshaanJayJolly
"Britain must have a lot too offer, our soggy beaches and moist natural parks make for the best of experiences. There is also a lot to do, for example getting drenched in the rain, at least that is what people like Nigel Farrage want us to think."
I'm just hoping that the examiner isn't a UKIP supporter and this starter gets me a decent mark in question 6

I like the sarcasm you used and hope they don't support UKIP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noj234
Actually u had to write a letter to the newspaper editor so they can publish ur 'off the limits' experience on their newspaper.

was it meant to be in a letter format?
Original post by hunnycat12181
Guys i didnt do question 6 cos of timing do u think that my grade will b really bad?

only if u did really well in the other questions and your couse work because u basiclly just missed 24 marks
Lmao the examiner's report for November 2015 said that only 2% of students got above band 2 for question 4 :lol:
Original post by spiritxals
61/80 is still a really low grade boundary considering the exam is basically predictable? like the questions don't change at all...

yeah, learning how to structure each answer is fine and leaves us at an advantage. But with different sources each year it's a matter of whether you connect with the source properly and if you don't you're not gonna make as many perceptive points as you would've if you did connect with it.

For example, loads of people from my school hated source 1 and so didn't do too well on question 1, but I found that source 1 was great and source 3 was shite, so my question 3 was a tragedy.

Plus, exam situations make everything a whole lot different: you don't read questions properly, you forget key points, you ramble etc.

AND, it ain't easy to gain marks, they are especially specific, as they know we have the advantage of knowing questions. So it all balances out.
(edited 7 years ago)
you only put yours sincerely when you know the person ....so if you started with dear Sir/Madam you would end it with yours faithfully ..
My handwriting sucks A*S in exam conditions, but i know my work is worthy of an a* cause in school under exam conditions teachers have time to decipher my work and usually get A/A* and I did the same thing for this test.

So, If examiner gives me like a U or a C due to my handwriting how much does a remark cost and can I get my paper back how much would this cost?
Ugh I didn't talk about the sub-heading in Q2 because of time and for Q6 I only got to do 2 and a bit sides. gg
i just need at least 55/80, is that too much for my examiner? :angry:
Original post by surina16
Lmao the examiner's report for November 2015 said that only 2% of students got above band 2 for question 4 :lol:

I read this! That is either a typing error or because the candidates were severely dumb! (I think November is also the month for resits, so they aren't the most intelligent).
(edited 7 years ago)
Question 4 always gets me!!! I analysed some language in source 3 then just moved on because question 5 and 6 were a better use of my time. Anybody think I'll still get some marks? Since you don't actually get marks for your actual comparison in question 4
Original post by uzzi255
HELP. I didnt write much for qn 6. My teacher told me to put the pen down but i continued writing for like 20 more seconds. She then came and crossed 2 lines off from my answer. I hadnt wrote much so it was important
. Was she allowed to do that?

you're lucky you did not get disqualified
For Q5, would talking about skydiving be suitable as 'pushing the limit'. I didn't want to do a marathon or exercise as it's not so original, so idk if it was suitable talking about skydiving.
Original post by Edmar Hadad
you're lucky you did not get disqualified

Can you. I'm always writing till they take my paper from me...
Original post by IshaanJayJolly

Satire and Irony at it's best!
Original post by Himtiaz
Can you. I'm always writing till they take my paper from me...

you must have lenient invigilators

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending