The Student Room Group

OCR F211/F212 AS Biology Retake 2016

Scroll to see replies

Rio convention
I personally think it was a terrible paper despite putting in hours of revision and doing past papers the questions were terrible especially the enzyme and Lilly bs
Original post by dansag
what did everyone write about the glycogen structure and function and the question about tar

for glycogen:
1-4 linked glucose chains shorter than starch, it's very compact which makes it good for storage as granules in the liver
lots of side branches, which allow enzymes that break down the molecule easy access and glucose will be released more quickly
Advantage to animals because animals are very active so use more energy than other organisms such as plants which have no movement. Also, quick glucose release is an advantage because it allows for sudden strenuous activity such as running away from predators etc.
Not sure if it's right though, I'm really doubting myself with this exam.
What was it wanting when asking about the two levels you can assess/measure (I can't remember, something like that) biodiversity?
Original post by AfroBella
for glycogen:
1-4 linked glucose chains shorter than starch, it's very compact which makes it good for storage as granules in the liver
lots of side branches, which allow enzymes that break down the molecule easy access and glucose will be released more quickly
Advantage to animals because animals are very active so use more energy than other organisms such as plants which have no movement. Also, quick glucose release is an advantage because it allows for sudden strenuous activity such as running away from predators etc.
Not sure if it's right though, I'm really doubting myself with this exam.

Sounds good , and insoluble I think :/
Original post by Bgxx
What does everyone think grade boundaries will be? I dont think they'll change much as they havent done so in the previous years

I would say about 68/100 for an A as that was what it was last year. About equal difficulty. Full UMS probably around 80/100
Original post by fuzzedshadow
What were the advantages of the 3 domain system over the 5 Kingdom system? I had no clue what to put for that :/. Definitely a harder paper than last year tho, wish I hadn't messed up then now more than ever 😭😭

Did it ask for advantages or reasons? because I think I wrote reasons :confused:
Original post by jessiecoo
What was it wanting when asking about the two levels you can assess/measure (I can't remember, something like that) biodiversity?

I put biodiversity in a habitat, and then biodiversity on a world scale. Not sure tbh
Original post by magicbeans.
I thought it was good if you knew all your stuff and had done past papers. A few tricky stuff here and there but overall it was good. Should get above 80!

suck ur mum u ****
Original post by jessiecoo

I think species habitat and genetic
That's what I put anyway two from them
Original post by Rajan_S97

Glycogen is readily soluble but still that's only one mark out of seven.
Original post by Hsn_
What did everyone get for the enzyme calculation? 💀

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 1.4 for concentration then 1.79 for mass
Original post by rsharr028
I would say about 68/100 for an A as that was what it was last year. About equal difficulty. Full UMS probably around 80/100

it was harder than last year dumb ****

Yeah I think I mentioned glycogen being insoluble.
Reading this thread I can just see the marks disappearing one by one, depressing :colondollar:
I put biodiversity in a habitat, and then biodiversity on a world scale. Not sure tbh

Yeah I put a habitat and then an ecosystem, one of my friends put locally and worldwide, and another put species richness and evenness, everyone I've spoken to has put something different 😂
Original post by rsharr028
Glycogen is readily soluble but still that's only one mark out of seven.

oh yh sorry mate, got that one wrong :/
Original post by cinderella25
That question was hard. I was writing everything about organic and inorganic cofactors and how they help to increase the rate of enzyme reaction... That question was so hard. Also the question were you had to write how you would carry out the investigation for the water lily plant was really difficult :s-smilie: my hopes of getting an A in this paper are gone

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh my god that question I left it to answer at the end but the invigilator said put your pens down😩 wouldn't have got it right anyways. There were loads of questions that required you to read the question really carefully and ocr is so specific is well which makes it so much worse.
Original post by Bgxx
What does everyone think grade boundaries will be? I dont think they'll change much as they havent done so in the previous years

Last two years 68 has been an A... I don't think they'll change much unless everyone has done terribly. I also think they'll be inclined to keep them high as we are competing with this years new AS syllabus which is meant to be harder..
Was it artificial active?
Do you have an f214/5 version of this??💜💜

Quick Reply

Latest