The Student Room Group

Vote on the future of the Model European Union

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unown Uzer
No, if you lot actually gave this place a chance by allowing an election to be held and seeing if this place is active after the parliament has been set up, and this place fails to be active, then I would agree that this is a failure. But we have not even started, so this place has not failed. Adam has been trying very hard and has done an excellent job, but before we have had the opportunity to have private forums set up, you lot start coming in demanding that this place should be closed. That's why I am putting the blame on you and your defeatists.

Aph kindly answered your question very well.

And if you want to blame us, blame yourself just as much for doing nothing about it.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Then bitch at Adam who refused to get anything started, or how about blame yourself for not trying to make anything happen.

I am sure I am to blame to a small degree; but when I was here there was never the enthusiasm of people surround it; and the major sticking point was the private subs/ usergroups- which I regret to inform you, still will pose an issue!
Original post by mobbsy91
Aph kindly answered your question very well.

And if you want to blame us, blame yourself just as much for doing nothing about it.

Unown Uzer is an impeccable individual who has no reason to blame himself whatsoever.
Original post by Unown Uzer
Unown Uzer is an impeccable individual who has no reason to blame himself whatsoever.

Sure.
Original post by adam9317
I am sure I am to blame to a small degree; but when I was here there was never the enthusiasm of people surround it; and the major sticking point was the private subs/ usergroups- which I regret to inform you, still will pose an issue!

I have been speaking to QC about the subforum issue and she believes it will be possible to create private subforums, like the Government one in the MHoC, without the need for user groups.
Original post by Quamquam123
I have been speaking to QC about the subforum issue and she believes it will be possible to create private subforums, like the Government one in the MHoC, without the need for user groups.

That is something we can look into in due course; depending on the result of this poll.
I struggle to see how the same people can keep the MEU and the MHOC active.
I think your point about activity is just a bad excuse. People who have used off-site communication in recent weeks haven't suddenly stopped using the MHoC so I think your argument is flawed.

Can you not see the difference between debating MHoC issues off TSR because it's more effective and devoting significant effort to an entirely different game that deals with entirely different, international policies?
Original post by Life_peer
Can you not see the difference between debating MHoC issues off TSR because it's more effective and devoting significant effort to an entirely different game that deals with entirely different, international policies?

There is a difference, yes, but people aren't going to start abandoning the MHoC to join the MEU.
Reply 29
There is a difference, yes, but people aren't going to start abandoning the MHoC to join the MEU.

No one is suggesting that, just topics of debate will be similar and people will spend less time in each. It's exactly the same reason we hate the other place because people split their time and encoraged others to go there which reduces activity in the house and makes the place less enjoyable.

If this were to happen it should only be under the proviso that should you join the MEU you have to leave the MHoC, which should also be a rule about the other place too IMO.

Aph is right in that the exact same thing has been happening since people learnt about the other MHoC. Some of our newbies migrated and currently hold key positions over there.
Original post by Aph
No one is suggesting that, just topics of debate will be similar and people will spend less time in each. It's exactly the same reason we hate the other place because people split their time and encoraged others to go there which reduces activity in the house and makes the place less enjoyable.

If this were to happen it should only be under the proviso that should you join the MEU you have to leave the MHoC, which should also be a rule about the other place too IMO.

I think your suggestion is ridiculous. If you introduced that rule, you would kill off the MHoC. I think you underestimate the amount of people who will use the other place and the MEU in the future.
Aph is right in that the exact same thing has been happening since people learnt about the other MHoC. Some of our newbies migrated and currently hold key positions over there.

There are quite a few people I know who happily have an account on TSR and an account in the other place. If you were to ban people from doing this, which would be almost impossible to do, people would just leave the MHoC.
There are quite a few people I know who happily have an account on TSR and an account in the other place. If you were to ban people from doing this, which would be almost impossible to do, people would just leave the MHoC.

1. I did not suggest a ban; please try to read with comprehension and attribute individual claims to the users who really made them.

2. Again, two or more accounts mean less dedication to any one of them. People have finite amount of time and energy, and it's absurd to suggest that one's activity within the MHoC won't suffer if he actively takes part in another similar game.
Reply 34
I think your suggestion is ridiculous. If you introduced that rule, you would kill off the MHoC. I think you underestimate the amount of people who will use the other place and the MEU in the future.

If the MEU becomes a clone of the MHoC, with the same debates, same pettiness and probably even more partisan then it's pointless. If this place is to become a staging ground for people who don't want to be in the MHoC and have its own seperate Comunity which is what it needs to thrive then people should choose between one or the other and can't be in both. Otherwise it becomes exactly like the MHoC making this place pointless.

I know a ban on the other place wouldn't work but I do think that they damage us much more than the other way round.
1. I did not suggest a ban; please try to read with comprehension and attribute individual claims to the users who really made them.

2. Again, two or more accounts mean less dedication to any one of them. People have finite amount of time and energy, and it's absurd to suggest that one's activity within the MHoC won't suffer if he actively takes part in another similar game.

I never said you made the suggestions about the bans. I was just explaining why they wouldn't work.

The MEU will not decrease activity in the MHoC. If a similar UK Government was being set up, then it probably would. However, the MEU is going to be quite different and debate on very different topics from those in the MHoC.
I never said you made the suggestions about the bans. I was just explaining why they wouldn't work.

The MEU will not decrease activity in the MHoC. If a similar UK Government was being set up, then it probably would. However, the MEU is going to be quite different and debate on very different topics from those in the MHoC.

I don't see any point in continuing this discussion.
Original post by Aph
If the MEU becomes a clone of the MHoC, with the same debates, same pettiness and probably even more partisan then it's pointless. If this place is to become a staging ground for people who don't want to be in the MHoC and have its own seperate Comunity which is what it needs to thrive then people should choose between one or the other and can't be in both. Otherwise it becomes exactly like the MHoC making this place pointless.

I know a ban on the other place wouldn't work but I do think that they damage us much more than the other way round.

The MEU will offer debates that are quite different to the ones in the MHoC. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why people can't be members in both the MEU and MHoC. I often find myself looking at the MHoC and doing something else due to a lack of interesting debates. I would instead use this time to go on the MEU. Therefore, I wouldn't be sacrificing MHoC time to use the MEU.

I think the other place damages the MHoC much more than a MEU would because it is essentially a substitute whereas the MEU is not.
Reply 38
The MEU will offer debates that are quite different to the ones in the MHoC. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why people can't be members in both the MEU and MHoC. I often find myself looking at the MHoC and doing something else due to a lack of interesting debates. I would instead use this time to go on the MEU. Therefore, I wouldn't be sacrificing MHoC time to use the MEU.

I think the other place damages the MHoC much more than a MEU would because it is essentially a substitute whereas the MEU is not.

If you find consumer rights so interesting why don't you produce more bills about them because you can thanks to cannon...

The EU and it's laws are more about regulation of businesses than anything else... If that's what excites you, you can already do that in the MHoC.
Original post by Aph
If you find consumer rights so interesting why don't you produce more bills about them because you can thanks to cannon...

The EU and it's laws are more about regulation of businesses than anything else... If that's what excites you, you can already do that in the MHoC.

The EU is much much more than just a regulator of businesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending