The Student Room Group

What keeps a relationship alive for so long?

I'll begin by saying that I am perhaps likely over thinking!

I’m happily in a relationship with someone and not expecting that to change any time soon.
The thing is, we have the same job and practically sit opposite each other, which I have no issue with as I still get just as happy to see her and spend so much time with her.

(We are planning on changing career but I’m not sure as of yet if it will be more difficult to see each other in the process.)

I’m not so much ‘trying’ to keep my relationship alive as I feel it’s naturally alive and exciting as it is, and I currently couldn’t be happier with life outside of my job.

I’m aware that my girlfriend can easily get bored with certain things, but is it likely someone will eventually get bored of a long lasting relationship if they easily get bored?

She’s showed no signs of any of this, but she’s very unique to me and makes me happy to a point that nobody else currently can, just want to make sure she’s happy in the relationship too so I can steal her for quite some time.

P.S. I’m not actually going to steal her..
i wouldn't say it does, if this is what she means to you then you'd hope she'd say similar things about you? otherwise it can only go downhill from here
I mean a great many couples work for different reasons and don’t work for even more different reasons, so you can’t really boil it down into a simple guide on what to do to have a long term successful relationship. If it was that simple we wouldn’t have so many divorces!

In my own personal experience I think the most important thing is to be comfortable with each other and find things easy. Plenty of things in life will be hard (work, finances, health etc.) so your relationship shouldn’t be.

I would also note that her attitude towards other things is in no way indicative of her attitude to you. I get fixated on and drop new interests regularly and typically can only stand a finite amount of a person/people before I just want rid of them at any cost. Despite this I have never tired of or gotten bored of my wife.

So if things are good, I’d just enjoy it. You can worry about the rest when it actually happens.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that you'll only find out the answer when either of you eventually changes jobs. The way i keep my relationship alive is just by being completely honest, say when i want alone time, say if we haven't been spending enough time together. It's like in a job, if something isn't working you'll talk to your colleagues and find a way around it.. That's what we do :smile: then there's no arguing and we have fun
Original post by Elivercury
So if things are good, I’d just enjoy it. You can worry about the rest when it actually happens.

Noted!

Original post by Hevachan
I think that you'll only find out the answer when either of you eventually changes jobs. The way i keep my relationship alive is just by being completely honest, say when i want alone time, say if we haven't been spending enough time together.

I definitely try to keep to being honest, I question sometimes if I'm too honest cause I do the whole Hagrid quote of "Should I of said that.. I should NOT of said that!"
Haha:') i guess that's where it's important for her to be honest if she didn't like what you said without it becoming an argument ^^
Personally, I think you should steal her a pony :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
Personally, I think you should steal her a pony :wink:

Stealing is wrong.. I only know one person that would be ok with that.......
Original post by Lucarious30
Stealing is wrong.. I only know one person that would be ok with that.......

Well, I think that one person is the most amazing person in the world and deserves a pony :wink:

Just my outsiders opinion, hehe
comfortable yes, I think every relationship gets to that point. Boring, maybe... You need to make memories, go on vacation at the same time you need to miss eachother. Spend a weekend with your buddies.

Another thing guys forget, change how you look once in a blue. Guys could go on with the same hair do for years, you can look stale to look at after a while.
Original post by Lucarious30
I'll begin by saying that I am perhaps likely over thinking!

I’m happily in a relationship with someone and not expecting that to change any time soon.
The thing is, we have the same job and practically sit opposite each other, which I have no issue with as I still get just as happy to see her and spend so much time with her.

(We are planning on changing career but I’m not sure as of yet if it will be more difficult to see each other in the process.)

I’m not so much ‘trying’ to keep my relationship alive as I feel it’s naturally alive and exciting as it is, and I currently couldn’t be happier with life outside of my job.

I’m aware that my girlfriend can easily get bored with certain things, but is it likely someone will eventually get bored of a long lasting relationship if they easily get bored?

She’s showed no signs of any of this, but she’s very unique to me and makes me happy to a point that nobody else currently can, just want to make sure she’s happy in the relationship too so I can steal her for quite some time.

P.S. I’m not actually going to steal her..
tbh I think your over-thinking this a little bit. Your gf isn't bored from you or the relationship. I know it may be a cliché but why don't you surprise her unexpectedly ? be romantic, take her to dinner :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending