The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

Scroll to see replies

Do you think it is ok if I wrote a little bit about varying sentence length in question 4 and then linked to connective use ?
Original post by hunnycat12181
Guys i didnt do question 6 cos of timing do u think that my grade will b really bad?

You probably could get a low c
Original post by keepyourapology
Well, I got a 2/8 in my mock so I guess, now I have a phobia of Question 1. But I did as much as I could, even went as far to write 2 pages for it, while everyone else was WAYY ahead.

Question 3, man, I rushed so much, I focused a lot on how he wasn't scared, but he recognized that he should be, and he was trying to hold onto his level-headedness, throughout the whole ordeal. But the guy felt something in every paragraph, and I was dying trying to complete everything.

Question 5, I put in some things about 'making me stronger' at the beginning, but idk if that'll be enough? I mean, wtf.

Question 6 was kinda informal, ngl, hope I don't drop marks for that.

How's your coursework grade? Mine's a 70/80, so I'd need about a 62 for a guaranteed A*. I personally found this exam harder than last year's, so I hope the grade boundaries take a hit. xP

69/80 I think, I do want an overall A*, but my coursework is a grade A, if I've only scraped an A* in this exam, do ya think I'll still only get an overall A?
Original post by babymarima
no f*cking way, that's trippy

I know right loolll, but does that mean we might get marked down because the idea isn't 'original' cos I swear in Q5 you're supposed to write stuff that no one would ever think of
Original post by johnhall027
it's fine if anything yours will stand out to the examiner, be thankful u didnt write an article like me hahha

That's really reassuring thank you!
Just to reassure you, I honestly don't think the form matters that much. In my mock, I didn't do any type of form whatsoever because I didn't realise we had to and I still got 11/16 marks and it wasn't an amazing answer so I think that doing the wrong form will lose you maybe 1 or 2 marks maximum :smile: Good luck in all your other exams
Reply 185
I got 74 in coursework but I don't know if it's out of 90 or out of 80. I checked on aqa grade boundaries and there are two separate unit 3's. One that's out of 80 and one that's out of 90. So which one is it out of. 80 or 90?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leopard923
Do you think it is ok if I wrote a little bit about varying sentence length in question 4 and then linked to connective use ?

It asked about language specifically...not structure...
Original post by thatnerdygirl001
I know right loolll, but does that mean we might get marked down because the idea isn't 'original' cos I swear in Q5 you're supposed to write stuff that no one would ever think of

I don't think that's like a thing that's written in the mark scheme. I think it's more subconscious on the examiner's part. For example, if it's the 30th time they've read a piece on skydiving, then maybe when reading the essay, it doesn't sound as intriguing and as interesting as it would've been if the examiner wasn't bored.

They aren't gonna be like, well damn, heard this a hundred times 4 out of 16. But they may drop a couple of marks for not being engaging enough with the audience in comparison to someone who wrote about having an abortion as an experience where they were pushed to the limits (which is a good one, I should've talked bout that)

But i wouldn't worry, it sounds like the majority of people did skydiving and marathons, so if we go down, we're taking everyone down with us
Original post by PCB
I didn't know we were meant to write about the SUB-HEADLINE in question 2!!!!! How many marks will I lose if I did 2 paras about the headline and 2 about the image

Posted from TSR Mobile

Max is 6 out 8 your meant to do one on headline one on picture and lastly one on sub headline..
Original post by babymarima
69/80 I think, I do want an overall A*, but my coursework is a grade A, if I've only scraped an A* in this exam, do ya think I'll still only get an overall A?

For sure, you'll get an A. If you've scraped an A*, you'll probably be at a low A*, considering your coursework is a high A. :smile:
Original post by blueribbons99
It definitely said write a letter :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it said 'write a letter to a newspaper article', so they probably won't deduct marks either way because if it was a letter for an article you wouldn't need to write 'dear mrs/mr' and yours sincerely at the end.:redface:
How many marks roughly do i need to get a C

My coursework mark is 65 out of whatever everything is out of (total)
Original post by linaker18
I think it said 'write a letter to a newspaper article', so they probably won't deduct marks either way because if it was a letter for an article you wouldn't need to write 'dear mrs/mr' and yours sincerely at the end.:redface:

It wasnt a letter...it said write an article for a newspaper who the heck worked out letter lol
My course work is 56/80 how much would I need for a C.
Original post by Dragon5555
It asked about language specifically...not structure...

Ik :frown: but would I get the marks for the connectives?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reesespieces
my coursework grade was an A* but after that english exam, I'd be lucky to even scrape a C!:frown: Is it just me or did anyone feel there was barely anything to analyse for Q4? I compared source 3 with source 1 btw. Also question 5 was so annoying, I literally made it up and wrote about pushing myself when running a half marathon LOL. Honestly, I found question 2 the easiest out of all them. It's probably the only question I finished fully in the time limit of 12 mins. THE EXAM BOARD DEFINITELY NEED TO ALLOCATE US MORE TIME FGS IT'S LITERAL TORTURE.

what did u talk about in question 4?
did u talk about any devices?
Original post by Butterfly223
My course work is 56/80 how much would I need for a C.

????
Reply 197
How much out of 80 would be an A*??
Reply 198
Original post by Dragon5555
How many marks roughly do i need to get a C

My coursework mark is 65 out of whatever everything is out of (total)

If your coursework is 65 that's an A so you will only need 14 in the exam to scrap the C boundary
did anybody do foundation in english everyone except 3 classes do foundation in our school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending