The Student Room Group

S2, M1 or D1?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ameenk95
Hearing this makes me happy! i may give D1 a chance then, its just that i have around 20 days to learn this inside and out so i'm a bit cautious. I may give both S2 and D1 a look into today, but youre right it will take me a day or two to get back into the drift of S1. Do you know if S2 is more harder?

From what Ive heard, S2 is harder but it all depends on the type of maths you prefer. To be honest, ive never actually seen D1 as maths as it literally is just follow certain steps for each question :biggrin:.

If you have literally 20 days to revise and learn a whole module, I'd go with D1. And if you do, like i said, use mr hegarty youtube videos he has everything you need to know on there and explains it well.

This is for edexcel D1 btw but what ive heard is that theyre not much different at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by SeemaG18
From what Ive heard, S2 is harder but it all depends on the type of maths you prefer. To be honest, ive never actually seen D1 as maths as it literally is just follow certain steps for each question :biggrin:.

If you have literally 20 days to revise and learn a whole module, I'd go with D1. And if you do, like i said, use mr hegarty youtube videos he has everything you need to know on there and explains it well.

This is for edexcel D1 btw but what ive heard is that theyre not much different at all.

Ive been decent at stats as i believe it follows a step to step. Looked at how many topics reside in both modules. Decisions 1 has two more, it might not be a problem but i just wanna be able to secure a good grade. Does Mr Hegarty go through all of the questions possible? again thank you :smile:
Ive been decent at stats as i believe it follows a step to step. Looked at how many topics reside in both modules. Decisions 1 has two more, it might not be a problem but i just wanna be able to secure a good grade. Does Mr Hegarty go through all of the questions possible? again thank you :smile:

As far as I am aware he does, I mean all I've done is watch his videos and done his examples and then thrown myself into past papers and theres nothing Ive come across that I havent been able to do (subject to stupid errors etc).

Theres quite a few videos and he does go through exam questions. And no problem :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by SeemaG18
As far as I am aware he does, I mean all I've done is watch his videos and done his examples and then thrown myself into past papers and theres nothing Ive come across that I havent been able to do (subject to stupid errors etc).

Theres quite a few videos and he does go through exam questions. And no problem :smile:

Did you do AQA or Edexcel? killer question :biggrin:
Go with D1. Easy to self teach and very quick to learn
Reply 25
Original post by smileypotato
If you've already done S1 and did well, then S2 is quite good to build on it, even if you did it a while ago. Having been more successful in S1 than M1 might suggest you're better suited to thinking through stats problems, so S2 may be better - although it's worth thinking about whether the issue was actually difficult circumstances etc. when studying M1.

Personally I loved M1, but I know it isn't for everyone. To find out what you'd rather do, it might be worth having a quick look at the syllabus for each to see what's involved, then deciding what you think sounds best. I've heard D1 is an easy option but having never done it myself, I can't say if this is true or not.

Given that you're planning to self-teach, it's probably also a good idea to see what resources are available. Obviously you can get course textbooks, but I know I relied on my teachers quite a lot when I couldn't see where I'd gone wrong, so looking for extra questions with fully worked answers etc. is probably a good idea.

Additionally, I don't know what you're planning to study at uni but if relevant, it might be worth picking something that has links to your course. Obviously if you're doing something very artsy then that doesn't necessarily apply, but some subjects do have links to different areas of maths. For example, biology often involves stats, so S2 may be more useful in the long run, even if it's a bit more work now. Physics links nicely to mechanics, so if you were doing that, spending the time to learn M1 might be more helpful. But as I say, this could be completely irrelevant to your degree, in which case it isn't so important.

Youre right, i would have to go back and recap slightly on S1 for a day just to get back into the motion of things. My only worry is the amount of time i have, and how difficult s2 might be. im hoping it would just be like S1 but different topics, does that make sense? ive been told D1 is to do with algorithms and its very easy to be taught that, so im looking into that too. im looking to do business management/accounting at university so just having a maths a level is good enough for either :smile:

Still not sure which one to pick if im honest, looking for more opinions
Reply 26
Original post by Imperion
You can go through the syllabus and judge which you'd enjoy better but I would, S1 isn't that hard and the step to S2 isn't massive.

Just curious, have you by any chance done D1?
Reply 27
Original post by Daniel9998
D1 is pretty straight forward imo

How long do you reckon it will take to learn and do you know any good resources? Everyone is saying D1 is easy but in what sense do they mean?
Reply 28
Original post by Student403
Go with D1. Easy to self teach and very quick to learn

in what sense is it easy? could you elaborate please :smile:
in what sense is it easy? could you elaborate please :smile:

Easy in a few senses

Not much to learn (a few definitions)
Not hard to understand (no complex concepts)
Reply 30
Original post by Student403
Easy in a few senses

Not much to learn (a few definitions)
Not hard to understand (no complex concepts)

Thank you for your reply! Are the questions wordy? Or are they the same in every exam paper?
Just curious, have you by any chance done D1?

I've had a look at it but not done it, could do it for fun sometime though. D1 doesn't look bad but linear programming seems to throw people off.
Reply 32
*Bump* need more opinions on which module to take and which one will be easier, still stuck in two minds as some people say S2 is easy and intertesting :s-smilie: where as others say D1 is boring but very straight forward, however you can close marks quick! is this the same for S2?
D1, done it and aced it. Fairly easy
Reply 34
Original post by Language student
D1, done it and aced it. Fairly easy

How long did it take you to know it inside and out? AQA? also were the questions wordy or straight forward? and exam to be precise on or you lose marks right? :biggrin: please let me know
Do D1, it is very straightfoward and doesn't require you to be good at anything first (S2 does really link to S1) and getting a good grade really just boils down to exam technique. I am a D1 teacher and examiner so give me a shout if you need any help, particularly once you've learnt it and need help with the exam.
How long did it take you to know it inside and out? AQA? also were the questions wordy or straight forward? and exam to be precise on or you lose marks right? :biggrin: please let me know

I done it last year, yes AQA. The questions were really wordy but where I lost my marks where around 1-2marks questions. D1 would be the best shot in my opinion as S2 is A2 topic whereas D1 is AS topic
Reply 37
Original post by lolololol
Do D1, it is very straightfoward and doesn't require you to be good at anything first (S2 does really link to S1) and getting a good grade really just boils down to exam technique. I am a D1 teacher and examiner so give me a shout if you need any help, particularly once you've learnt it and need help with the exam.

AQA examiner? thank you for your advice :smile: im just looking through exam papers and checking the content. Would you say that D1 takes a lot of graft to learn? and also are the questions wordy or do they just follow a pattern? ive been told D1 is a memory game. And THANK YOU for the support!!!! honestly appreciate it :smile: its tricky picking between S2 and D1 because i got an A in S1 but that was 2 years ago.

I done it last year, yes AQA. The questions were really wordy but where I lost my marks where around 1-2marks questions. D1 would be the best shot in my opinion as S2 is A2 topic whereas D1 is AS topic

Do the questions follow a pattern though? i was told that D1 is a memory game and as long as you remember the algorithms then youll be fine! Would you say its easier than the pure core maths? Just struggling on deciding on S2 and D1 because i achieved an A in S1 but it was two years ago since i did S1. Thank you buddy :smile:
Reply 38

Not sure if you knew much about S1 but i didnt find that module wordy at all! just saying :smile:
AQA examiner? thank you for your advice :smile: im just looking through exam papers and checking the content. Would you say that D1 takes a lot of graft to learn? and also are the questions wordy or do they just follow a pattern? ive been told D1 is a memory game. And THANK YOU for the support!!!! honestly appreciate it :smile: its tricky picking between S2 and D1 because i got an A in S1 but that was 2 years ago.

Do the questions follow a pattern though? i was told that D1 is a memory game and as long as you remember the algorithms then youll be fine! Would you say its easier than the pure core maths? Just struggling on deciding on S2 and D1 because i achieved an A in S1 but it was two years ago since i did S1. Thank you buddy :smile:

I can't really remember but the algorithms just follow the steps/proccess. I achieved A in D1 while C's in C1 and C2. You should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending