The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Product Design (3D) PROD3 10th JUNE 2016

there does not seem to be a thread for aqa a2 product design 2016 unit 3 paper, so i have decided to make one , to allow us to discuss the exam.

How is everyone revising?

Does anyone have any useful revision notes and resources?

What is likely to come up this year, what is not?

PROD3 exam 10 June 2016 AM
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Hey dude! I've been looking at past papers and some of the previous questions have been bizarre!
Comparing zinc toy cars to cast iron train wheels, and mop buckets, its all very strange.
Ive just been using the text book, although youtube videos are helpful aswell. Materials testing hasnt come up since June 2012 so I'd suggest revising that :smile:
Does anyone have copies of past papers and mark schemes from before June 2013. I can access all of the ones on the website but they only seem to publish the most recent three years.
Reply 5
What is likely to come up this year? any predictions.

Also , how many iconic designs should we know ?
Reply 6
Original post by Exams987
What is likely to come up this year? any predictions.

Also , how many iconic designs should we know ?

Really hard to call for this exam TBH. I think environment and sustainability, ICT, tech developments (as usual), and some random crap that we won't be able to answer which is not even on the spec (as usual)

I've only learnt robin days polypropylene chair TBH and that's it :/
I've not seen robotics come up ever ?
Reply 8
Original post by yamyam77
Really hard to call for this exam TBH. I think environment and sustainability, ICT, tech developments (as usual), and some random crap that we won't be able to answer which is not even on the spec (as usual)

I've only learnt robin days polypropylene chair TBH and that's it :/

ok thanks , i have not got any notes and am planning to make them today.

what did you make notes using?
Reply 9
Original post by katiejaynel
I've not seen robotics come up ever ?

thanks, i will make sure i go through it .
Reply 10
Has anyone got any concise notes that they can send me , so i can make notes from it.

i have tried to go over the spec and the textbook but i am getting lost.
I personally think that metals won't come up, as I re-sat PROD1 and the entire paper from section A to C was on metals. So I would strongly suggest woods, composites, compliant, plastics and smart/modern materials will pop up in either 4x7 Marks or a long essay
(edited 7 years ago)
After analyzing the papers recently i think that there will be a question on design movements, One on protecting different type of materials as its been 5 years since on those came up. I also think there will be a question on systems for product accuracy and potentially a question on Safety and JCB or something as that hasn't come up yet
Original post by Jackhawkins21
After analyzing the papers recently i think that there will be a question on design movements, One on protecting different type of materials as its been 5 years since on those came up. I also think there will be a question on systems for product accuracy and potentially a question on Safety and JCB or something as that hasn't come up yet

I couldn't not think of a paper any worse than that😭😭😭

May I ask what jcb is? So confused
JCB is one of the case studies for safety in the book. They manufacture tractors etc look at page 171 in the book man! and these questions are pretty easy one you've learnt a set answer as they can't differentiate much from the question
Original post by Jackhawkins21

When you say protecting different types of materials, what do you mean?
Is it all different finishes (for metals, plastic and woods)?
i would advise learning a protection technique for each group/ E.g Ferrous metals are galvanized and some advantages of it etc. or you could pick a non ferrous metal such as aluminium which is anoidized, you get the point just do this for each type of materal
I agree with all of these predictions! I also think maybe inclusive design/good design may come up, hasn't been up for a while.
Also material testing.
when you talk about an inclusive/good design are you referring to an iconic design or something like a disabled toilet and its features? and how you answer a question testing seems quite tricky

Quick Reply

Latest